Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Aquarium and Coral Reef Organization of Sarasota (Acros)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Next meeting or snorkle trip?

OK, we talked about a boat/snorkle trip to a local reef, lets see if we can get it to materialize. I did not go to Belize, so I worked on our groups treasure hunting boat that is on land in Cape Canaveral instead. I am back, but may do a little more work on it, since no one else really knows how to do stuff. I would assume weekends are best for all? Any feedback, and we can start some planning. Maybe we can see how the weather/water etc looks and just plan for the next weekend coming. I work this Saturday, but have Sunday off. Next weekend same, only have Sunday off. Water is 85 F and very clear unless it is rough or was just rough. Gimme some input. Thanks, Steve.
Old 06/20/2007, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Im in with a fresh Dive cert and Jonesen to do diving just let me know when and where!

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 06/20/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Greg, I know you can probably make it if given some advance notice. Like I said, maybe this or next Sunday. We'll check the weather, tides and maybe do it both weekends. We have been jonesing to get out here deep diving(not snorkleable) and collect some neat stuff. We have wanted to collect some long tailed blue gobies. They look like yellow headed jawfish, but they are a little longer and are all blue and the males have bright purple on their heads. Just as much as a pain to catch, as they make rubble nests that can be a foot deep in the rubble. They dont have air bladders, so they dont need to be decompressed for hours. If we can get a few people together, we will snorkle at the reef South of Point Of Rocks. That is shallow enough and usually clear enough with enough animals and plants that most will enjoy it. Hopefully everyone has snorkled before.
Old 06/21/2007, 07:24 AM
Moved Aside

Sorry..double post..
Old 06/21/2007, 07:26 AM
Moved Aside

Jenna, Cooper and I are in if its this Sunday. We will be out in the boat on Friday and Sunday of this week no matter what. We are leaving for NY next weekend.
Old 06/23/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

I cant make it Sunday, I am going back over to work on the salvage boat in Cape Canaveral, as they have a travel lift (giagantic boat contraption) scheduled for Monday to put it back in the water, and work has to get done. Lets keep an eye out for good weather. Corey have a good trip. Maybe one of these days we'll get out on the water together. We are jonesing!
Old 06/24/2007, 09:51 PM
DIYer

I'm up for a dive...Greg what do u want to go see? Viz was top to bottom in 40' of water wed.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:59 AM
Moved Aside

Steve,
We took out Jennas friends and Greg came out with us. We had a great time. We went to Point of Rocks, then we headed a little more south to the spot you were telling Greg about. It was really cool and there was a ton of orange sponge. Water was pretty clear and warm!
Old 06/25/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

I am so jealous! I have off Sunday and we do plan to get out. Maybe we can all get together. Tom said he got the compass and ladder, but something was missing from the ladder.
Old 06/25/2007, 08:57 AM
Moved Aside

We are going to be in NY for the next two weekend, but once we get back we will have to get together. I got the compass installed but they sent the wrong brackets for the ladder. Its not an easy task getting back into the boat without one.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:00 AM
Moved Aside

Steve,
Whats the deal with the boat you are working on? Tom was telling me a little about it and said you guys were redoing the transom?
Old 06/26/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

It is a 36' Uniflight Sportfish. It had a weird transom that had a flange going all the way around the rear sides and back, abut a foot high and 2 inches thick at the top. This was for a cushion to snap onto for a couch type seating. We needed to dive out of it(it is going to be a treasure salvage boat to work several wrecks, on the East Coast of Florida and South coast of Dominican Republic-we have leases for both places. We have 3 other dive/dig boats in our fleet-not counting my boat the "Free-Spear-Its")and wanted a flat , short coaming to be able to enter the water and climb back over easily. So I cut off the whole top and insides of the cockpit area. I built a frame work out of 2x4s and covered this with plywood. Transom is curved so it was complicated. Then heavily fiberglassed over. We also put blowers on it(things that lower over the props to move sand off and make a big huge hole, with heavy stuff still there-coins etc.), did lots of electrical work, put in new electronics, stereo, cleaned it, other stuff. Still have some stuff to do. Problem is the other guys dont really know how to do anything- well almost anything related. They do, but they wait for my word to do almost anything. You know, they do something, and dont measure twice, and it has to be taken off and redone or grinded out and massaged to fit. Like predrill holes for a 3/4" pin that must travel 1 foot through 4 different thick pieces of metal and hinge, without making sure they are in perfect alignment. Kind of frustrating. Should be done soon. I will get some pics.
Old 06/26/2007, 10:49 AM
DIYer

treasure hunting a? Sounds like fun.
Old 06/26/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

It can be rewarding, both monetarily and the finding of something old and rare. Usually it is the latter. It costs lots of money to do. We are on a trail that has produced many silver coins, some gold coins and a few gold bars. Plus a lot of different artifacts. There are 2 shipwrecks at same spot, one from early-mid 1600s and one from 1715, both were loaded with treasure. The 1715 ship was salvaged some in 1716 by the Spanish and also by pirates later on. This was the fleet whos wreckage just about broke Spain, it had all the Queens jewels, most of the new money, bullion, etc. We have access to the whole 1715 fleet as we are subcontractors for Mel Fishers- Treasure Salvors Inc. Our group is Aquatic Research and Recovery Group-ARRG!!! Where they are the water is not clear very often, and near shore, so it gets murky and a surge. We wont work the DR wreck for a year or so, too busy, paperwork was just signed last week, it had been in the works for a year. My dad used to work wrecks here in FL, the Bahamas, central and south america. I have worked several wrecks with him. Lots of fun if you find anything. Kind of like fishing, its not fun until you catch a fish. When you get into a school of fish, its real fun! Same thing.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

sounds like a blast. I have always wanted to something like that steve.

ill have to go snorkeling with you guys next time.
Old 06/28/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

This sounds like a bunch of fun. I have a 16' boat with a 20 gallon livewell. Someone give me a call if it is going to be soon, I don't get online much.

:-)
Nathan
Old 06/29/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

I dont think it will be this weekend, as it is the Offshore Grand Prix. Also anybody that has a boat and never uses it, goes out this weekend. Plus they are racing just offshore of where we planned, its a turn. 10th St boatramp will be closed as it is the launching area for the race boats. Should be a good party time though if you are into that. Maybe next weekend?
Old 07/08/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like you have fun job Steve.
Old 07/08/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

o2zen, thats not my real job, thats one of my many all consuming hobbies. My real job is a firefighter/paramedic. I work out at the fire station on St Armands circle. We are in charge of the fire/rescue boat and have a fire engine and an ambulance. Some of my other hobbies are spearfishing, tropical fish and invert collection, travel, being on the water or tropical places. It all takes my money though!
Old 07/08/2007, 03:33 PM
Moved Aside

steve,
let me know when you would be able to help me do the 200 hour service on the boat. We are at about 202 or so. Also, let me know what i need.
Old 07/08/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Corey, I have the pump to pump out the oil. I will get with you, but it will need motor oil, oil filter, lower unit oil. It will need a fuel filter, but I would like to check out which one on both the oil and fuel filters. Tom just had new spark plugs put in, and some other stuff, so we dont need that. We will check all the belts too. Some time that is good for both, we will check that stuff out. PM me on what your schedule is. How was the trip? Steve.
Old 07/10/2007, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Stevemc Sounds like something I always wanted to do. How do you do your reasearch for wreck sites or are these established sites that you have permission to dive on? let me know when you get pics up of the boat.
Old 07/10/2007, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

I'm ready for a snorkel trip I have my 19' Center console Chris Craft that is ready for a good trip. I go to the rocks off egmont key its a nice place a bit crowded on weekends though. I have a good live well and can add a portable one I made up to keep greenies alive. Gimme a call if ya'll plan on going I can ride a few out with me if needed. 941-739-5697
B-town Fla.
Old 07/11/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

You can see pics of our treasure salvage boat on www.treasurenet.com go to forums and then to shipwrecks. Then find "blower build on our boat"- or something like that. We have researched, and we do have a lease from the state to salvage. They are established sites that are under Mel Fishers families lease. It is the 1715 fleet and several others. We are subcontractors. On the other topic, maybe we will get out Sunday? If you use a bucket to put fish, inverts and plants in, dont crowd it. And keep it in the shade, and do water changes often, the stuff could die if it gets too hot. A 5 gallon bucket w/ a top with 1/4" holes all over-100s, works good to float in the water. Corey PM me about your schedule. Steve.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:00 AM
Moved Aside

LINKY:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,90856.0.html

Steve,
I just sent you a PM. The trip was great. Nice and relaxing!