Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2004, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

???about a blue tang???

this is my reef, i wanted to get a small blue tang, but I want to make sure he wont eat all my beautiful mushrooms?!?!?

Old 02/29/2004, 01:25 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I presume you mean the hippo tang, paracanthurus hepatus? If so there are no worries for your mushrooms. Please be sure your tank is large enough to house this fish though.:-)
Old 02/29/2004, 03:33 AM
Where's my motorcycle?

Is that your 40g? If so, no. You'd need a tank more than twice that size to keep a blue tang.
Old 02/29/2004, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

It wil grow fast, very fast!

Kaye
Old 03/01/2004, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

my fater has a 250 gal custom tank, so when hes to big he has a good home!!!
Old 03/01/2004, 02:25 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry hun but any hippo is too big already to go in a 40. Please reconsider :-)
Old 03/01/2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

why have i seen like 3 or 4 small reefs with hippos doing great
Old 03/01/2004, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Because people are scary, uninformed creatures?

I suggest you take a long look at the requirements (and the natural range!) of this big, active fish.
Old 03/01/2004, 12:14 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

even if my father had a 1000000gal tank, i wouldnt put the hippo tang in my 40gal tank. Thats too small for a tang even in short term

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 03/01/2004, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

wow,
and when i say this, in no means am I trying to be rude,,
but, man people on here are very stern, protective,and kinda scary, i always get opposite info from here, thank when i go talk to a service guy or a LFS, or even the warehouse i get my fish form!?!?
Old 03/01/2004, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

i just did some reaserch, and this is what i found, which doesn not really tell me what your saying!!!!

70, isnt very big?!?!?!

(Paracanthurus hepatus)

Quick Stats
Minimum Tank Size:_70 gallons

Care Level:_Moderate

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg_1.020-1.025; pH_8.1-8.4; dKH_8-12

Temperament:_Peaceful

Max. Size In Aquarium:_Up to 1'

Reef Compatible:_Yes

Diet:_ Herbivore

Compatibility:_View Chart

Origin: Fiji, Indo-Pacific, Solomon Islands

Family:_Acanthuridae

The Pacific Blue Tang is also referred to as the Palette Surgeonfish, Hepatus Tang, Blue Surgeonfish, and Regal Tang. It is a highly prized, beautiful and long-lived Tang. Like most tangs and surgeons, it is easy to recognize because of the oval body shape and bold markings. It has a deep blue color with a "painter's palette" marking on the body.

Pacific Blue Tang requires a 70 gallon or larger aquarium with a number of hiding places and plenty of room to swim. It is tolerant of other tangs, but can occasionally be aggressive towards other Blue Tangs. If housing in groups,_introduce all at once into a larger aquarium. It is more susceptible to lateral line disease, fin erosion, ich and other skin parasites than many other fish.

Because it feeds on algae, the Blue Tang will help to control the algae in your aquarium. It will also consume other vegetarian items.

Approximate Purchase Size: Tiny: 1/2" to 3/4" Small: 1" to 2";
Old 03/01/2004, 12:52 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Quote:
Originally posted by friendtothefish
wow,
and when i say this, in no means am I trying to be rude,,
but, man people on here are very stern, protective,and kinda scary, i always get opposite info from here, thank when i go talk to a service guy or a LFS, or even the warehouse i get my fish form!?!?
its because they want your money and want you to buy their fish so they act very polite and tell some lies. We cant call lies what lfs says to you actually as most of them dont even know the truth. However, we say you the truth w/o taking any money and we also spend our times, all we want is you to keep some "healthy" fish and thats all, we are not also rude at all just saying something that you would not like to hear but these are truths and these fish are not suitable for a small tank. A dwarf angel is colorful and will fit into a 40gal tank so why would you put a giant fish in a small tank?

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 03/01/2004, 12:56 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

this info is from a online site and they dont need to tell you the truth as well as they get money. Think if it was written 180gal instead of 70gal who would buy this fish? just few people...
actually a 70gal is still too small for this fish IMO at least 150 gal is needed or bigger.

Old 03/01/2004, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

so what others come as dwarfs?!?!?!
Old 03/01/2004, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

He's refering to dwarf angelfish of the genus Centropyge...C. argi (Pygmy or Cherub Angel), C. acanthops (Brazilian Flameback Angel), and C. aurantonotus (the African Flameback Angel) are all small enough to be comfortably housed in a 40 gallon tank.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fi...ls/centropyge/

No tang or surgeon belongs in a 70 gallon tank, in my opinion.
Old 03/01/2004, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

ok so the funny thing is ive been talking about a purlpe tang not hippo!!!
Old 03/01/2004, 07:39 PM
Where's my motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally posted by friendtothefish
ok so the funny thing is ive been talking about a purlpe tang not hippo!!!
The same applies to the purple tang...100g tank or more. Tangs are very susceptible to disease when stressed, and small tanks cause enormous amounts of stress for them. Unfortunately, there really isn't any tang that is suitable for your size tank. Even small tangs still require lots of swimming room - they don't swim any less when they are small than they do when they're grown. They will get stressed, become ill, and possibly die. Sorry

I agree that a dwarf angel would do very nicely in your tank...and there are many very colorful and active dwarfs to choose from. The favorites seem to be the Coral Beauty and Flame Angel - both are beautiful fish that don't require enormous tanks to thrive.

Last edited by gcvt; 03/01/2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03/02/2004, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

The information on liveaquaria is crazt there minimum size for a volitans lion is 55gal and a panther grouper is 100 gallons. there'd be more fish than water.
Old 03/02/2004, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

The Pocket Guide to Marine Fishes book by Scott Michael gives a really good gauge IMO of the tank sizes required for different species. Besides, it has some great pictures in it.
Old 03/02/2004, 11:59 AM
Clam Trainer

Keep in mind that what you are striving for with this type of fish, or any tang really, is swimming area. Regardless of total gallons, I think any tang other than yellow, purple or kole need at least six linear feet of tank. And keep in mind when referencing books or websites, even the concientious recommendations for tank requirments are typically minimum sizes. If you plan to have other fish, the minimum just won't do.

I bought a hippo that was about the size of a quarter a year ago, and I can already tell he's going to outgrow my 135. He's just growing like a weed.

People around here have no motivation to give you bad advice. If several people are saying it's a bad idea, it probably is.