Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

aquaripure denitrator

Looking for some feedback on these nitrate filters?
aquaripure.com
Old 12/23/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Trying one on the church's 220 gal tank. So far, it's not doing anything (tried for months). However, the nitrates are above the recommended 40 ppm (they say to water change to below 40).

I'm going to use the Ca reactor as a sulfur denitrator until the nitrates come down, and then hopefully the Aquaripure might be able to keep up.

FWIW, sulfur denitrators work really well, but they do make keeping Alk up somewhat problematic.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

I had a coil denitrator hooked up for months and it never did anything. Tried feeding it and everything. Still no results. Made a sulfur denitrator to hook up as well and within days levels were from 100+ to below 10. Id recommend a sulfur denitrator over a regular coil or bio ball one. I think it cost me about $40 total to make mine. I didn't use a recirculating pump as many models have either and its been working perfect for over 7 months now.
Old 12/24/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

There was just a thread on this today....

I have one and it works great, I am getting ready to buy a bigger one for the tank I am building
Old 12/24/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Strange, mine worked wonderfully for me. I've heard that ozone and UV can REALLY extend the period it takes to cycle one of these things. Are you guys using either UV or ozone by chance? To cycle mine, I basically filled it with aquarium water and then closed it up for a week. It worked well ever since.