Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2005, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

acan lord frag with zoanthid polyps on the same rock

Well I originally thought that these were more acan lord polyps coming off of this one polyp (they are facing the back of the tank, so it was hard to see, and they are soooo close to the lord polyp that I thought it was the only posssibility). From looking at it, apparently i have two small zoanthid polyps on the rock that my acan lord frag is on. Can I just use a knife to cut them off without damaging the lord frag, and put them onto another rock? Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about...

Acan Lord Polyp:

Side shot where you can see the side of the zoanthid polyp:

I moved the rock around to get a full shot of the zoanthid polyp. There is actually another tiny polyp (total of 2) also extremely close to the lord polyp:

Let me know what I should do. Thanks.

-Mark
Old 04/12/2005, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I would cut the zoo's off, but someone might know about if the acan will kill the zoo's. I hear how powerful the sweaper tenticals of the acan is, I would think it could handle it's own.
Old 04/12/2005, 08:23 PM
TRC Leader

A good scalpel or exacto knife would work. Run the blade under the zoanthids and it should scrape off just fine. Don't worry too much about damaging the lord polyp. They are very forgiving corals.