Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2005, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Benefits of feeding Acanthastrea?

Hi there, I'd like to enquire what are the immediate benefits of feeding acans? I've just thought this through... These animals don't have any form of excretion whatsoever..... So the food must go somewhere right? So.... where does it go? Does it form new tissue? So would feeding more frequently mean more polyp growth at a faster rate than not feeding at all? Looking forward to some insights from you folks. Thanks!

ps - What do you guys use to frag acans? Just a regular screwdriver and hammer?
Old 04/12/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

You've got the idea down pretty good. The more you feed Acans, the faster they grow. They do excrete waste though the mouth. I've seen my Acans do this 6 hours or so after feeding, some food will be regurgitated.
In my opinion, all stony corals benefit from feeding. And while they can survive without it, they will thrive better with regular feedings. The larger the mouth, the larger prey they can eat. I also think that the larger the mouth, the more the corals need that food.

I've used a Dremel in the past to make frags, but now I use a pair of cutters a friend of mine made to cut his Acans with. There is less healing time using them, IME.
Old 04/12/2005, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply RandyO. How bout for people who don't feed their acans at all? Does it mean that the acans get their nutrition from the water column, although at a much slower rate than by feeding them directly?

Also, how often do you feed yours? I just fed mine some squid and although some finished their meal pretty quickly, some are STILL trying to finish theirs! It's been 3 hours! And one more thing, is it alright if I fed them again tomorrow? would that be 'too much'?
Old 04/12/2005, 12:13 PM
Moved On

Randy, how do we get ourselves a pair of those Acan Clippers?
Old 04/12/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

I just posted this long reply in the Acanthastrea let's see them thread. But I will put it here too since this thread will come up with someone doing a search on feed Acanthastrea.

OK,
I had to get the books out.
From The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol. 2, by Fossa and Nilsen.

"Cnidarians have two layers of cells: The Epidermis(Ectoderm) on the outside, and the Gastrodermis(Endoderm), on the inside. Between the Epidermis and the Gastrodermis lies the Mesogloea. The mesogloea consists of a special amorphous substance formed by both the Epi- and Gastrodermis, and may contain motile (amoeboid) cells, which are capable of transporting substances within the animal. "(page 18,19)

"In a study involving Montastrea cavernosa, they found that 20% of the energy demands are met by capturing plankton, which is most effectively done during the night. Porites lobata only meets 10% of its food requirements by capturing plankton. The way the plankton is caught differs from one species to the next. In general we can say, however, that species with large polyps and big tentacles capture more plankton that species with small polyps." (page 26)

What I get out of this last passage is that if you want a coral to not only live, but thrive and multiply, you should be giving it at least 100% of it's food requirements. Reproduction is one of the final requirements of an animal. Survival is the first.
So while a coral can be starved, and survive, if you want that coral to reproduce, you have to feed it and make it strong enough to do so.
Old 04/12/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

How often do I feed? Sometimes 6 times a week, sometimes none. It all depends on how busy I've been. I don't think it will hurt to feed every day. At one time I was feeding twice a day, but I was getting more regurgitation. Since they eat and descrete out of the same opening, and it can take 4-8 hours for it to digest and then descrete, I felt I was backing them up.

Rob,
My buddy got his first few pairs from a medical supplier. I think they are used to cut casts off fingers. The cutting end looks like the letter C the tips of the C can close almost all the way, but would not pinch your skin if it was caught in between. The middle of the C, when closed, looks like it could chop your finger right off, but there is enough room in there when fully closed, to not hurt the finger. Unlike wire cutters, that crush the front part of the coral, the arch in the middle of these cutters prevents the coral from getting crushed, and they are strong enough to cut rock clean off.
He said they cost something like 80.00, but he can not find them anymore. If this device sounds like something you know, let me know, as I would like to get a pair of the real deal. I have a pair that he made for me out of something similar. He grinded down the cutting ends to work the same, but it's a smaller scale.
I love the pair that I have, since I can cut up Echinophyllia, Acanthastrea, and small branched Acropora very easily. Bigger branched acros do not fit in between the tips of the C
The medical ones did not rust, and while he used all stainless parts for the one he made for me, it won't last forever.
Old 04/12/2005, 01:10 PM
Moved On

Thanks Randy, we have a Swap meet out here that sells all type of Medical scissors,clamps etc. I will have to take a look. If they have any I will pick up a few. I think I know exactly what you are talking about
Old 04/12/2005, 05:42 PM
TRC Leader

I don't see feeding Acanths as a benefit, I see it more as a necessity. They only get a fraction of their needs fulfilled by lighting alone. Sure they can catch what ever floats by when you are feeding the fish, but in all likelihood it is still not enough. LPS have mouths for a good reason, and it is because the must take on meaty foods.

The increased growth is just a sweet bonus.
Old 04/12/2005, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Ah.... good stuff. Thanks to all for the replies. I'm gonna feed my acans like a maniac from now on. mwahahaha.... and just enjoy watching babies sprout all over the place!