Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

What is going on with my plate?

I bought this plate almost two weeks ago, it was doing lovely until the third day. This was around the time a rose anemone with a torn foot died, but I removed it before it was dead because I caught it in the process to make sure it didn't foul up the water. The second thing that happened was that the plate stung my cabbbage leather so badly that he turned purple and shriveled up a third of his size.

My problem is, from that spot where I found the plate stinging the leather he has started to deteriorate. Like a slice of pizza taken away from the pie. Otherwise he is eating and hanging out inflated but I am pretty sure the slice is getting larger by the day. He still responds to light changes.

Here are some pictures:

These are from a few days ago, I'm going upstairs to take more recent ones of its decline.

I don't know the cause. I can't tell if he's splitting or dying. I've checked my perimeters and my nitrates are 30ppm, but they always are around 20-30 so that's nothing strange. I didn't measure my calc but I don't think that would be the problem, I dose with Coral Stimulator and Purple Up on rotation so my calc is fine.

I have my 20g under 2x65 watts. I feed Zooplex, Coral Accel, mysis shrimp, minced krill, daphnia cubes, and I have Cyclopeeze but haven't used it yet.

What can I do to save him and does anyone know the cause of this behavior?

I appreciate it so very much!
Old 04/06/2005, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I turned the lights on, went to take my daughter to school, and he was still like this.

I've had people tell me that they've seen plates recover from far worse than this...but I honestly don't see this situation turning around. First of all, I don't know what the problem is. The rest of my corals are thriving(!) and if I don't know what the problem is how can I fix it to help the healing process?

I hope there is something I can do, it is such a beautiful piece when its happy.
Old 04/06/2005, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

I'm assuming this is a Helio? If so, they are terrible shippers and any tear on the bottom will lead them to doom. To be honest, I think it's a goner but you never know. Leave it alone and siphon out the brown jelly and hope for the best.

Good luck.
Old 04/06/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 04/06/2005, 08:28 PM
SPS nut

I agree, just try to keep it as clean as you can. Good water flow. I hate to say it, but I think it's toast. Good luck with it though!
~chris
Old 04/07/2005, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

i had an identical experience once with a green helio. all the params were fine, everything in the tank was thriving, it was even eating and puffing up. all of us sudden it started breaking down and before you know it , dead. not sure what happened and i know of several others who have had this happen. id love to know whats going on with them when this happens
Old 04/08/2005, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Helios are extremely difficult to keep. Reason being, they are extremely bad shippers as stated above. Only buy helios where you can actually see them and lift them carefully and check if there are any tears on their bottom or sides. Healthy ones should have film/flesh covering the full bottom plate.

Any slight tear will result in infections and they will rot away like the pic above. And always put them on the finest sandbed.

They come from turbid areas so a mature sandbed is required to keep them healthy by occassional stirring. Though they have large mouths, they don't seem to take in meaty treats well. I would say they need nano-plankton from stirring the sandbed. That's my experience.
Old 04/10/2005, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

I placed my helio on a flat rock on top of my reef shelf about 6 months ago (not knowing what their preferred conditions were when I got it) It has tripled in size and extremely happy. Now I know they prefer sandbeds, but this guy is flourishing on top of the rock so I haven't messed with it. Just admire it everyday.
I got a green plate from my LFS that looked real nice. Placed it on the sandbed with moderate flow. It did well for about a month and then slowly dwindled away. I even tried a pink one, only to have the same thing happen after a short while.
Old 04/10/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I lost mine a few days ago. Such a shame, but now I know.
Old 04/10/2005, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Imuller, don't touch your helio if it's doing well. The more you move it, the more chance you'll tear it.

Always check for tears in all plate corals. Some can recover, most get infected.
Old 04/11/2005, 05:59 AM
SPS nut

My experience with plate corals is somewhat limited but I have notices a few things. The helios plates are very sensitive at first, but once established they do pretty good. The short tentacle plate are in general very hardy. If cut/ripped/broken, they just heal over as long as the conditions are good. I have never really liked the look of the helios plates much myself, but they are something different to add to a tank.
~Chris
Old 04/13/2005, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

you know, I know it is too late but I think your plate is the loser of the war...stony corals might win the battle (stinging) but leathers use chemicals to fight so I am wiling to bet the leather poisoned it.