Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

sump utilities?

I was wondering how many people use filter socks or sponges in there sump? I have nothing in my sump besides baffles and chaeto and live rock rubble. Someone was looking at my setup yesterday and recommend putting carbon pads in sump is there any pros or cons to this?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Did this person tell you why?

I pulled all of my sponges and socks and haven't had a problem since. Running carbon can help remove unwanted toxins/chemicals and may make your tank look cleaner. I run it using media bags in my baffles (passively) and it seems to help, though most people will recommend running it actively using a phosban reactor or similar.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

no there was no reason in particular he was just surprised that I didnt have anything. I am waiting for my carbon and phodban reactors to come in should be up and running by this weekend or maybe earlier. I just wanted to see what other people had to say about sponges and socks.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

We use filter socks. We made custom filter socks out of felt.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

I use a filter sock, but I am thinking of removing it. I had a cheap skimmer for awhile, and needed any help I could get to keep the water clean. I just have a tough time getting rid of it when I see how much debris it collects in only a few days...