Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Question bubble algae???

Hey everyone,

So my tank just started developing bubble algae, not much but its still there. I was told it is caused by high nitrate levels, too much protein? Is this true? Am I under-skimming? What can I due in the mean time, while I save up cash for a new skimmer b/c I've always had issues with mine. Can I pull the bubbles off? Although I would rather stay away from them, any chemicals that would help lower nirates? Hope ya'll respond soon. Thanks

P.S.

Nano Remora protein skimmer...its what I got...what's your opinion, or recommendations.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Well I have no idea either however, I am having the same problem. I heard you can pull them off, however if they pop it will spread. I also head that emerald crabs would eat it. I don't know and have had a few bubbles. I pulled them off 2 burst and 1 came off ok. I certainly do not want an issue with this so I will check my nitrates today and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

the only way to control bubble algae is to remove them. They require very little nutrient or light sustenance and manual removal will help with the problem. In established tanks bubble algae is something that you just deal with and thin the population when it breaks out.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Just an FYI - I have an emerald crab and I've never seen it eat the bubble algae...wish it did.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

http://www.petsolutions.com/+Qbiocube.aspx

You can pull them off, like langel said, but if they pop, they will spread...from personal experience! LOL!

As for the skimmer, I had a nano fission skimmer and I didn't like it much. I returned it and bought the Oceanic skimmer. I don't have any experience with the one you have, but it seems that a lot of people have the SR3 skimmer. I included a link. Price wise, I have no idea how this company is. They just happened to come up when I googled the skimmer!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/09/2008, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks everyone. I went ahead got an emerald crab and a new skimmer (CPR BAKPAK). Guess I'll pull them off carefully...
Old 01/09/2008, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes they can be very hard to pry off the rock, especially if they are in a crevice. If you only have it on one rock, it might be easier to either take the rock out of the water before removing it, or trade the rock back in to your LFS. I had it real bad on one rock so I just pulled a "switcheroo" with a local store.