Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Ocellaris Clownfish

Ive had my tank running for about 1 month now. It had finished cycling in about a week. I added about 25 lbs of live, cured rock. It's a 28 gallon bowfront. Put in the protien skimmer after it had finished cycling. Ive been doing 10% water changes. I've got a damsel, peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, and some snails in there, and everything had been running great. I added a clown fish, some mushrooms, and frogspwn coral a few days ago. Sine then the clown fish has apparently lost its dorsal fin, and this morning was laying on the sand next to the toadstool, his skin is peeling off it looks pretty bad. I check my nitrates last night and they were higher than normal at around 20ppm. pH is 8.2 salinity is 1.0025 and temperature is around a consistant 78. Whats going on with the clown is he just diseased? When I bought him he looked healthy. but in just a few days hes gotten real nasty. Any ideas guys?
Old 01/08/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

The nitrates are slightly high, but from what i've read, 20 and under won't hurt anything, just cause algae problems....I think.

I keep my ph at 8.2 as well. Salinity could be low at 1.0025, or do you mean 1.025??

It's possible maybe the shrimp, crab or damsels got him. I'm thinking maybe the damsels. Only suggesting this since you mentioned the missing or torn dorsal.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/08/2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Oh...you may also want to try posting this in the clownfish/anemone forum. Maybe someone there may have better experience or input?

Good luck!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/08/2008, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Nitrate is high, but OK for fish. Your corals and inverts...not so much.

I am also certain that your tank did not cycle in one week. Without the aid of a large amount of LR, but you said you added 25lbs of cured rock. Double check ammonia and nitrite.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:03 PM
How a relationship works

Is it a wild or tank raised clown

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 01/08/2008, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

To begin with you added things to your tank way to fast! It could have been the emerald crab nipped him. Many damsels are mean and will attack new tank mates. Do you have a QT cause you got to get him out of there. It dosen't sound like he is going to make it though, sorry! If I were you I would get rid of the crab and and that damsel before adding anymore fish! You have to slow down and not add anything else in your tank until your tank matures!
Old 01/08/2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

"It had finished cycling in about a week."

Hardly.....
Added things too fast.
But I'm betting you have ammonia,and lots of it.
And no, the scary green crab did not eat the clown's dorsal.
But the damsel will pick at him if he's that weak.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Stingythingy, How to you now it wasn't part of the crabs fault. It could have been one or the other maybe both! I was just giving him ideas. I wasn't there were you?
Old 01/08/2008, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Generally, when asking questions, we would like to see, especially for newish tanks: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity. I cannot begin to guess if you crab did bad things or if your tank is not ready for inhabitants. Is your SG 1.025 or 1.0025?

~Steve~
Old 01/08/2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

It could have been the crab, they are known fish eaters. But I am betting his tank params are just not suitable for livestock. We all make mistakes, learn from this and take your time.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Deb91
Stingythingy, How to you now it wasn't part of the crabs fault. It could have been one or the other maybe both! I was just giving him ideas. I wasn't there were you?
Sorry Deb,just goofing a little.
I'm sure you've seen it before.Everyone always blames the crab,bristle worms or defenseless coral banded shrimp.
Personally, I think it would have to be one slow or dense fish to be taken by an emerald crab.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

ok boys.

1. damsel gone

2. crab gone.

3. tank reaquascaped

4. everything looks good, peace has been restored.

thanks for the input guys, im 50/50 on whether i stocked to fast in the sense that everything has been okay in terms of parameters. I examined the clown fish after his death, his skin was torn, dorsal fin torn and gone. The damsel was doing great happy and eating. All inverts great, happy and eating. With that said im going to be alot more patient and research better before adding.

btw- its 1.025...typo fellas...sorry.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

What kind of test kits you using? some of these kits will give you false readings. I never heard of a tank cycle in only a week.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Do you think it might have been a hitchhiker in the LR? Maybe something like a mantis shrimp?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Every time you add more to the tank you basicly restart a noni recycle while all the bacterea readjusts to the new bio load. With a small addition this is almost unnoticable but when you start doubling your bio load this new cycling can be more extreme.

Another thing is cured live rock. Often what is sold as cured live roclk is only partially cured and can run a system wild for several weeks while it cures. This I have found even when adding as little as an added 10 pounds to a system already running 150 lbs of live rock in it for months.

My opinion is you added to much to fast. A 28 gallon system is small and even the addition of one fish will be a big change in the load on a system that small. Limit your self to one addition every month and you should do muchj better.

Note my nitrates, nitrites, and amonia are normaly all 0 but I found even with 310 gallons they will become temperarly measurable after adding two or three fish.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by stingythingy45
"It had finished cycling in about a week."

Hardly.....
Added things too fast.
But I'm betting you have ammonia,and lots of it.
And no, the scary green crab did not eat the clown's dorsal.
But the damsel will pick at him if he's that weak.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

I will defenitly limit my additions. What about adding 2 clown fish together. I want to purchase a pair.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem...

I bought 2 clowns about 7 weeks ago, and 1 of them came down with the same problem. I do not remember exactly what it is but I beleive I read that clowns are known to be prone to a particular skin disease. He got really bad, I went and bought a small quarentine tank and treated him for 3 weeks with coppersafe. He made a full recovery and now he is back in my main tank and 4 weeks later doing great.
BTW - DO NOT USE COPPER in your main tank!!! Never put any water with copper in it into your main tank!!!
If you use a quarentine tank and ever use copper do not use that tank for any corals or invertibrates (I know I spelled that wrong ;-)
Hope this helps...
9wt UV
Canopy=2x96 PowerCompact
96wt 12K + 96wt Actinic03
Also 40wt Actinic & 60"Moonlight
Refu = 30wt Coralife 50/50
Old 01/09/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stingythingy45
Sorry Deb,just goofing a little.
I'm sure you've seen it before.Everyone always blames the crab,bristle worms or defenseless coral banded shrimp.
Personally, I think it would have to be one slow or dense fish to be taken by an emerald crab.
Well you could have put a j/k next to it!! j/k

Sorry for the loss of your fish. How are your corals doing? Glad to hear you are going to slow down a little bit. I know it's easier said then done, but you will be better off in the long run! Is your next fish going to be a clown again? I love them myself,you might to get a pair. Good luck with your tank !