Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

looking for the perfect nano reef fish

requirements: please suggest

must be reef safe with all life - inclusing clams
not a jumper
not dependent on pod population
interesting
this tank is 25 gallons and has no fish just a blood shrimp
Old 11/30/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Clown - pick the species that is most interesting to you. They are colorful, active (i.e. don't just sit in the rock work all day), have some personality, and are hardy and peaceful.

So many "nano fish" require pods or plankton or other harder to provide foods. When it comes to feeding fish in a nano, similicity is key (IMO), and clowns eat everything.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:18 AM
------------

I would second the clown idea. Maybe they aren't exotic enough in your mind as a lot of people may blurt out "Oh, you have Nemo!?"... However I love their personalities (if I can use that word). http://www.uoguelph.ca/news/2007/11/post_79.html

Great looking tank. Very nice.
Old 11/30/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Hehe, I was about to recommend a Firefish when I saw the title.. then I read your post.

I'll third the clownfish. They're "adorable" (for the lack of a manly-er word), very inquisitive, and just fun to watch.

Could also take a look at some blennies, gobies, and wrasses (not sure if some of these may jump).

Nice reef btw!
Old 11/30/2007, 12:03 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Blackcap Basslett:

Onyx Clown

Cardinalfish

Blue (pictured) or Yellow Assesor:

Can't mix the Assesor with the Basslett, they are related and won't get along as they share the same spaces (cave dwellers).

Nice tank BTW.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Clown Gobies are nice, personable, and great color.

Anything this expensive and addictive MUST be illegal. I keep waiting for the cops to bust down my door and confinscate my fish food.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

ok, then

thanks people - let me ask on the clowns - don't they have to have a host? will they try to snuggle with the clams? and if you recommedn clowns, are there types that perhaps I can get 2 without problems

yes on the firefish - they eventually have found their way out of the tank - once jumped into a bucket of freshly made salt water which was funny - it survived until its later second attempt.

thanks for the compliments on the tank - it is tied in with my larger system
Old 11/30/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

No, clowns do not need a host. For many people, watching them host is a bit part of the appeal to keeping clowns, but I think they are great fish regardless.

Most any clown will work for you in the short term. Maroon clowns are my favorite, but probably not a good fit for you as they will, in time, outgrow your tank and are generally hard to keep in pairs. Ocellaris are a good species and can easily be found tank bred/raised.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: ok, then

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
thanks people - let me ask on the clowns - don't they have to have a host? will they try to snuggle with the clams? and if you recommedn clowns, are there types that perhaps I can get 2 without problems

yes on the firefish - they eventually have found their way out of the tank - once jumped into a bucket of freshly made salt water which was funny - it survived until its later second attempt.

thanks for the compliments on the tank - it is tied in with my larger system
In my research, I've learned that clownfish don't need a host anemone to be happy. Perhaps to spawn, but they can live a nice long happy life without one. People have reported their clowns hosting an array of things from heaters to powerheads to mag-floats!

Going to have to retract my Wrasse recommendations, I'm reading that certain species are known to jump.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

sounds like clowns are the way to go - will they ever host in hammer corals? I have 1 that would be good in that small tank?

In the past I was interested in watchman goby - is there a downside to these?
Old 11/30/2007, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

dp

Last edited by jnb; 11/30/2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnb
sounds like clowns are the way to go - will they ever host in hammer corals? I have 1 that would be good in that small tank?

In the past I was interested in watchman goby - is there a downside to these?
I'm looking into getting a Watchman Goby too!

I'm reading that the yellow watchman goby is known to jump, but I don't know if that extends to the rest of the watchman's. I'm interested in the Wheeler's Watchman Goby, myself.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

my clowns have host in my hammers and frogspawns before .....and still do...here's a recent picture that i snapped up a month back

Old 11/30/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

i had an ocellaris clown make my crocea clam its home. my clam didnt like it at all.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

One of my clowns has hosted a patch of hair algae on top of a power head. Don't know whether to laugh at the clown or cry about the hair algae.

Phil
Old 11/30/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

that is what I am afraid of - what was the final outcome of this bad realtionship?

Quote:
Originally posted by mbunakeith
i had an ocellaris clown make my crocea clam its home. my clam didnt like it at all.
Old 11/30/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

I've got to think that the clown/clam relationship happens once in a blue moon, if that often.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

i think clowns are boring personally, they seem to be a bit aimless and lack character & they are also known jumpers. I love blennies but they are also definately jumpers, i also like gobies though and types such as the yellow clown and neon gobies are very bold. They swim and perch in the open, they're great to watch & i've never heard of or seen one attempt to jump.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

My friend and a clow and it kills his ric fl trying to host it.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

i second the clown fish, mine have been very good fish in the 2.5 years i've had them.

ive gone through numerous fish.

bi color blenny- my favorite fish EVER. jumped 2 times, first time i saved him and picked him up, 2nd time i was out of town. he had so much personality.

6 line wrasse- lot of personality, loved to swim in the rocks and what not. he died in my move from the stress

yellow watchman/shrimp combo- he was kind of a pain, always moving, ruined a brain coral, and was tough to feed since my clowns would steal almost all food before it got to him.

i now have 2 clowns and a bi color blenny looking fish that has no personality. i forget the actual type of fish though.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I like Sunrise Dottyback. Beautiful fish but a little pricey.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

well, I am rethinking the clowns - don't want problems with my clams - I just went to the LFS - a nicely run one - to check on some clowns and came back with a blue throat trigger - hehe

still listening to you all re the one(s) for my small tank
Old 12/01/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Tail Spot Blenny

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2229

Such a fun fish to watch and an amazing personality. Although liveaquaria says they are hebivores mine eats algae off the rocks and loves flake food.

They stay small and have been the favorite fish in my tank for anyone who has seen it, even over my clownfish.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I've got to think that the clown/clam relationship happens once in a blue moon, if that often.
i think it happens more often than once in a blue moon.ive seen it twice with different clowns in my tanks.this video is from today.

i like the clown fish and the clown goby options for a nano tank,both are cool fish.i have a clown goby in my nano and he just perches on my monti cap all day.
Old 12/01/2007, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

cool video and really does not look harmful to the clam checking out the other possibilities in this thread - glad people are helping me

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
i think it happens more often than once in a blue moon.ive seen it twice with different clowns in my tanks.this video is from today.

i like the clown fish and the clown goby options for a nano tank,both are cool fish.i have a clown goby in my nano and he just perches on my monti cap all day.