Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 06:04 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
Why don't the three of you just get rid of the rare category and/or bonus tickets if it is just going to be nice stuff.
We did exactly that at our last BAR swap. I have to say that it did work out very nicely.

There were lots of different kinds of "rares" of all types including sps/lps/softies. And after 3 passes through the picking order, there were still stuff on the tables like Superman, Pokerstar, Purple Deaths, Nuclear Greens etc.

We'll likely not have a rare/bonus category for our February swap either.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

March 1st... See you there!!!
Old 12/29/2007, 09:18 PM
have fun with it!~)

Hey there,
Maybe we should have this sticky taken down and start a new one with the correct info?-)

!-)
Old 12/30/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

can a mushroom be rare/exotic...beautiful color

Old 12/30/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

It sure can!!! If its a yuma
While beautiful Kenny, it is not quite up to par with the extrodinay criteria. I do however love the contrast of the red mushroom against the purple one. Very beautiful.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

So let me get this straight... I'm a newbie to reef keeping as well as frag swaps but will be attending your guys' swap assuming all works out. I go to the Chico Reef Club and I know we have some members that will attend also.

Anywho... My question would be, I've read it multiple places that if one was to bring say 5 pieces they would get at least that back (which makes sense.) But I've also read (I think on this thread) that you will come home with at least 1 more than your brought. How is this so? If 10 people brought 5 frags how could those 50 frags turn into 60 frags? I'm assuming you just have people bringing a ton of frags and not wanting to get that many for their own tank....

Either way forgive my newbiness, I have a few nice frags I'll be bringing myself
Old 12/30/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
it is not quite up to par with the extrodinay criteria.
i knew it wouldn't; was digging through some photos and thought i'd show them off. they are actually more orange than red. bought 2 from CRS over a year ago; now have 15 of these guys.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iairj84
So let me get this straight... I'm a newbie to reef keeping as well as frag swaps but will be attending your guys' swap assuming all works out. I go to the Chico Reef Club and I know we have some members that will attend also.

Anywho... My question would be, I've read it multiple places that if one was to bring say 5 pieces they would get at least that back (which makes sense.) But I've also read (I think on this thread) that you will come home with at least 1 more than your brought. How is this so? If 10 people brought 5 frags how could those 50 frags turn into 60 frags? I'm assuming you just have people bringing a ton of frags and not wanting to get that many for their own tank....

Either way forgive my newbiness, I have a few nice frags I'll be bringing myself
First off we are really happy to see you guys make the voyage as your club has some really cool reefers and we look forward to hanging out with you.

I understand how this concept can be a bit confusing but you hit the nail on the head. As an example at the last BAR swap I attended with my wife, there were two of us swapping and the minimum was three frags per person. At the time my sps tank was overgrown so I cut 50 something frags and brought them to the swap. There were several there who brought a lot more than that. In the end generosity tends to make these events even sweeter.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm not trying to make this more complicated, but KMP has a very good point here. If you set a "Member by" date in the future, all your doing is a membership drive. The members that have been here for awhile, are now competing with people that just want to pay a small membership fee, get some very nice frags and never be seen in the club again. I don't think this is the intent of the frag swap. Setting the 12/2707 membership date would eliminate the problem you had at the Christmas Party. 25+ people showed up and bought $25 worth of raffle tickets (essentially) for a chance at a couple very expensive systems. I'll bet most will never be seen again. Not that I blame them...it was allowed.

There needs to be a cut off date of before the announcement of the frag swap to keep this from becoming another issue.

Before I get flamed here, It would just be cool to have some very realistic defined rules that are best for the club and its loyal members. So far, all I see is membership drives for members that most likely will have no intention of participating but gain the rewards of "instant Membership" rules.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

wp,

Without putting words in Paul of Mike's mouths, our goal is to allow this to be a regional frag swap for members of any reef club. In order to put a cutoff date on membership we would have to regulate every club whose members might come to our swap, which is something we have no interest in attempting, otherwise we would have a double standard for MARS members and members of other clubs (if we cut off on 12/27, but other clubs don't).

MARS has a responsibility to give back to the community. This is in part due to the tax liability and structure of our club. The MARS regional frag swap is one of the ways that we are going to "try" to work on community outreach and promoting responsible husbandry and captive propagation within the greater reefing community.

While we really do appreciate all the comments, I would like to see people get behind the style, format and open nature of this frag swap so that we can move forward and work on making this event a success.

And, on your point about Christmas membership, I will report back about what percent we see again. I'll eat my hat if you'll eat yours?

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 12/30/2007, 02:48 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Mmm hats...

Pete is spot on - MARS is a public benefit club and as so, we have to well, benefit the public. Frag swaps are a great way to get our name out there and get people jazzed about we are all about. If that results in more members, great - the more sharing knowledge the better. If we do not see these prospective members again, well, we will wish them luck. We have current members in our own ranks who we STILL do not see again, but support us in ways they can.

My point is simple. The frag swap is going to be a blast! MARS will have a very inclusive policy and the more the merrier. Make it your own by finding your own reason for coming and partaking in what is to be a real shin dig.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wpnorton
I'm not trying to make this more complicated, but KMP has a very good point here. If you set a "Member by" date in the future, all your doing is a membership drive. The members that have been here for awhile, are now competing with people that just want to pay a small membership fee, get some very nice frags and never be seen in the club again. I don't think this is the intent of the frag swap. Setting the 12/2707 membership date would eliminate the problem you had at the Christmas Party. 25+ people showed up and bought $25 worth of raffle tickets (essentially) for a chance at a couple very expensive systems. I'll bet most will never be seen again. Not that I blame them...it was allowed.

There needs to be a cut off date of before the announcement of the frag swap to keep this from becoming another issue.

Before I get flamed here, It would just be cool to have some very realistic defined rules that are best for the club and its loyal members. So far, all I see is membership drives for members that most likely will have no intention of participating but gain the rewards of "instant Membership" rules.
Wayne, we have always tried to be open to any and all who wish to participate. While there may be some that show up just for the swap there will be others that find us there and become productive members.

Please don't look at these people as competiton to MARS members. The more people who bring frags, the more variety we are hoping to see. We are about proper husbandry and propogation of corals and this is a really wonderful chance to convey that message to the public.

It is not a membership drive but instead a really cool event. It just happens to be the case that cool events tend to attract new members. i.e. the Xmas party. We don't have the frag swap to gain members, it just is really cool so people are drawn to the event. I met some new people when we had the scrap swap such as ScubaJim and I really like him and am glad he came out. I have seen him sevral times since. Hopefully some of the new members from the Xmas party will join us again for the frag swap.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

OK...I can see your point as well. I'm sure it'll be a great time and very productive event for all who attend. I'm not going to get hung up on a few details that might or might not make a big difference. I can appreciate the point of the other club membership policy. It would be very hard to try and regulate that issue. With that said, I also appreciate the discussion about how you're operating the event and your willingness to explain rational behind certain aspects. No problem on this end. I'll do my best to come out and support in any way possible. The club has been a big a sett to me as I've upgraded my systems and jumped to more complicated levels of reef keeping. I still consider myself to be a very green novice, but learning all the time.

I'll see you at the next meeting.

Should I wear an edible hat?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

No need for eating hats... I like to throw some humor in situations, sometimes at inappropriate times. I'll leave the hats at home... for now!

Recent aquisitions:
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 12/31/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

The date has been officially been changed on the post. The mods are seriously efficient!
Old 12/31/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

March 1st sounds good to me!
Old 01/03/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

As a long time member of MARS, let me put my $.02 in. The frag swaps are not easy to put on. I did one at my house, what, five years ago, and while it was taxing, it was also fun. The club was smaller then, and it was also a fragging expo. It really served to let the members get to know each other outside of the meeting setting. I also remember my first frag experience with the club. There was NO rules, just the president of the club picking who should go next. I asked why I had to go last, and was told that it was because I had just joined. I nearly quit right there and then (I am glad I didn't) because I felt that was a _ell of a way to welcome a new member.

Sure it sounds like a membership drive. And what would be wrong with that? I know that we would spend a lot of $$ on any other kind of drive. Even if we get one or two keepers, it will be worth it. And as already stated, as a club, we need to be less interseted in that old school attitude (I've been here longer, so I get the most) and more of the "Welcome, nice to see you!" flavor. I don't get serious about much, but when it comes to MARS' treatment of new possible-members, I must insist, we need to be as accomidating as possible.

I hope this does not sound like a rant . . .
Old 01/03/2008, 02:14 PM
Reef Cowboy

Has the location been established yet?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Robison
As a long time member of MARS, let me put my $.02 in. The frag swaps are not easy to put on. I did one at my house, what, five years ago, and while it was taxing, it was also fun. The club was smaller then, and it was also a fragging expo. It really served to let the members get to know each other outside of the meeting setting. I also remember my first frag experience with the club. There was NO rules, just the president of the club picking who should go next. I asked why I had to go last, and was told that it was because I had just joined. I nearly quit right there and then (I am glad I didn't) because I felt that was a _ell of a way to welcome a new member.

Sure it sounds like a membership drive. And what would be wrong with that? I know that we would spend a lot of $$ on any other kind of drive. Even if we get one or two keepers, it will be worth it. And as already stated, as a club, we need to be less interseted in that old school attitude (I've been here longer, so I get the most) and more of the "Welcome, nice to see you!" flavor. I don't get serious about much, but when it comes to MARS' treatment of new possible-members, I must insist, we need to be as accomidating as possible.

I hope this does not sound like a rant . . .
I can't agree more with your philosophy of new member treatment. We are not an exclusive country club but a group of people who share a common interest, A person's first meeting or event will often determine if there is a second meeting or not for them. If established members see a person at a MARS event who looks like they are alone or out of place they would do the club a great service by going over and saying hi. Any time someone is new it is hard to feel welcome unless the club is a welcoming place.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kevin95695

Has the location been established yet?

Soon my friend... Just waiting on insurance.
Old 01/03/2008, 02:31 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

I will be bringing some of my prized rhodactus and shroom collection (amongst many other things):

or how bout some rics?

Or this?
Old 01/03/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

The non green rics will count and that one is very pretty.
The rodactis mushrooms and prostrata can also get you a bonus ticket...but only if you bring 10 frags
Old 01/03/2008, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I'm okay with ricordea yuma counting towards bonus tickets, provided there are either 2+ small or 1 good size, but unless a floridia ricordea is an abnormal color or exceptionally learge, my vote is to exclude them as exceptional.

Recent aquisitions:
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/03/2008, 02:45 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Ha! I don't need no stinkin bonus tickets - I will bring the frags just because I am 'that' cool. So if you are on the fence on whether or not you are coming - heh, you would be crazy to miss out on some of these nifty pieces I have seen circulating.

Post your pics people!!! I want to see some eye candy.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

What do you want Mike? Stuff we will be bringing, or stuff we have gotten from past swaps? I have some great stuff in my tank from my ast couple of swaps, but I am afraid I don't normally QT my stuff and ended up with flat worms from the last swap.
Unless I am 100% certain I killed them well before the next swap, I am afraid my frags will be comming from elsewhere...
Old 01/05/2008, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

So is 17 considered adult? lol

When would we expect the location to be chosen by?