Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Need some advice on setup.

I've been looking to upgrade from my existing 45 gallon. Now that I've moved into the new house I think I have enough time to start setting up the new tank. I have many ?'s that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

I currently got an estimate on a 5' long tank (still not sure if I want a 5 or a 6 footer). Dimensions are 60" X 18" by I think 26"H, it's a perfecto tank with 2 overflows.

#1. Are Perfecto tank's any good?

I've never ran an aquarium with a sump, I've only done the HOB type of equipment so my knowledge on how to rum a system with a sump is........ZERO

I plan on using my 45 gallon aquarium as the sump for this new setup.

#2. Since the new tank will have 2 overflows does that mean there will be 2 holes in the tank per overflow? One hole for wter going down to the sump and one for return from the pump?

I have many more ?'s that i will be asking after I get some responses.

Thanks,

Gabriel
Old 12/10/2007, 12:33 AM
Male Gigolo

The LFS that I work at gets its custom glass tanks from Perfecto. If your on a budget, its not a bad tank. Obviously there are better tank builders, but it holds water. Same as an AGA or Oceanic in my opinion.

Yes there will be two holes per overflow box. Usually Perfecto has two - 1" holes drilled.

The 45g sump should work fine.
Old 12/10/2007, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

Re: Need some advice on setup.

Quote:
Originally posted by G13

I currently got an estimate on a 5' long tank (still not sure if I want a 5 or a 6 footer). Dimensions are 60" X 18" by I think 26"H, it's a perfecto tank with 2 overflows.
I would go with a 4',5' or 6'x2'x2'

#1. Are Perfecto tank's any good?
I don't know never had one. I like AGA.

I've never ran an aquarium with a sump, I've only done the HOB type of equipment so my knowledge on how to rum a system with a sump is........ZERO
I wouldn't run a large tank without a sump.

I plan on using my 45 gallon aquarium as the sump for this new setup.
Thats good.

#2. Since the new tank will have 2 overflows does that mean there will be 2 holes in the tank per overflow? One hole for wter going down to the sump and one for return from the pump?
That is right

I have many more ?'s that i will be asking after I get some responses.
Good Luck!

Thanks,

Gabriel
Old 12/10/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, for the resposes so far.

#3. Return pump, which one do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that would not use up a lot of power, as close to silent as possible and not cost me an arm and a leg.

#4. How do I set up my 45 gallon into a sump? Do I need to purchase some pieces of acrylic? dimensions are 36" x 12" x 24".
Old 12/10/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Hello
3) I like the Little Giant line of pumps, American made, quiet, dependable, and less than $150.00. Many to choose from.
4) 1/4" acrylic panels siliconed in place as needed would work. How tall is the aquarium stand, A sump 24" high can be a pain to work with...
Old 12/11/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Aquarium will go behind my bar in the basement. Naturally it'll be sitting pretty high up.....don't have a tape measure but I would say at least 40".
Old 12/11/2007, 02:27 AM
Pufferkrazy!

You might want to speak to Rod about building a sump for you. I hear Doug builds em too.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

I know it's been a while since my last post but I've been side tracked with the holidays and remodeling my kitchen. Hopefully everything but the counter top will be put in by the end of this weekend. If any of you guys have a hook up for granite tops let me know.

Well, back to the aquarium I want to set up.

I just ordered the aquarium today from Sho-Tank over the phone. They have a special for this month on their 72"x18"x22" AGA RR aquariums for $299.99. I think I got a pretty good deal......?It'll be in next week or the week after depending if they could still put the order in today.

Well, I have a few more questions that I hope you can help me out with.

The drilled holes (comes with 2 overflows) are 1" for drain and 3/4" for return. What do I need to plumb this out? Is there a preferred type or brand of plumbing hardware, that I should look into? I diagram of how i can plumb this would help me out a lot. I know I have 2 returns and would need to install a "T" in there but not sure if the pvc should completely run in a 3/4" size. Can I use hoses instead of pipe or is it not recommended?

Does this mean I need to purchase a pump that has a 3/4" return?

@Doug.......which of the little giant pumps do you recommend for this size tank? I was also thinking of not going with the 45 gallon as a sump.....any suggestions on a sump for the tank I ordered?
Old 01/12/2008, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

I also will be looking for a protein skimmer, i currently use a HOB aqua c remora but i think it's only rated for a 75 ga. I'd like to start looking in the forums for a used one cabeable of running a 125 or larger.
Old 01/12/2008, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

let me know what size skimmer you are looking for..... i can help you out

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/12/2008, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G13
Aquarium will go behind my bar in the basement. Naturally it'll be sitting pretty high up.....don't have a tape measure but I would say at least 40".
Bars and big fish tanks...join the club man!!

(my 165 in wall)

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>