Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Aquiring an Anemone

I'm interested in keeping an anemone, in particular a BTA.

Aside from a reputable LFS, where/what would be the best manner of attempting to purchase one. I would presume mail-order, but then the question comes down to what/who are some of the best/better etailors to inquire in regards to obtaining one?
Old 06/08/2005, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Your best bet is to buy a healthy one from your LFS. You get to see what you are buying there.
If you buy it online, it would be very costly and you usually have no idea of what the specimen looks like. Overnight shipping charges would be about $35.00 - $45.00 and then there is usually a box fee of $10.00. Some places will also charge for a heat or ice pack too. Your BTA that you saw for lets say $40 or $50 bucks at the LFS will now cost you upwards of about 90 bones online.

I'm not trying to sway your decision, but only providing useful information to you. If you buy online, then buy a lot of items and your order will then be cheaper overall vs the LFS. You may even get a group order together with some friends and split the shipping that way. But, IMHO it's better to get it at your LFS.
Old 06/08/2005, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply...

Been looking into the LFS, but exploring what options.
Part of the idea/hope was to see what retailers/wholesalers
people that might have ordered from, seemed to provide that
healthiest specimens.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

I would watch the selling forums here, there's always bta clones for sale at great prices and hopefully you'll get lucky and find someone close to you.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:23 PM
Aggressive Reef Keeper

Let me 2nd what Chris has said.

Get a bta from someone local is going to be your best bet... Especially if it's a clone...

That will mean it's used to the aquarium environment... Usually they will be cheaper as well...

Dave

Proud owner of a clone that has split
Old 06/08/2005, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhoch
Let me 2nd what Chris has said.

Get a bta from someone local is going to be your best bet... Especially if it's a clone...

That will mean it's used to the aquarium environment... Usually they will be cheaper as well...

Dave

Proud owner of a clone that has split
This has been my experience as well. I had some coral I needed to get rid of and a local reefer had an anemone that was too big for his tank. I knew that the GBTA I got was used to an aquarium - it even came with a clown. The anemone grew and grew and it split and now I have two big guys! Wow, am I a proud reef parent! Find a local fellow reefer and make a deal!
Old 06/08/2005, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Look in the reef club forums for a local club, there's bound to be someone selling in there.
Old 06/09/2005, 02:00 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

If you decide to go the mail order way I would recommend www.cquarium.com As I have not used them I have no personal experiance but I have heard nothing but good stuff. Its also nice because you can see what you are getting.
David

David Lockwood