Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/21/2005, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

600 lbs of Live Rock ended up being 520 wet

Is it normal to get 520 lbs of live rock when you order 600? Especially if the rock was just re-packed after an incident with Continetal airlines giving my rock to another store who had it curing in their bins? Just wondering shouldn't the rock weigh even more re-hydrated after being in their bins? I received 520 lbs of wet rock after the other store had its hands on it. Is this weight difference normal or doI need to call the airlines to have them go back on my behalf for the mix up?? Any help is appreciated. I am not going to state the names for both companies sake for it could honestly be a mistake. But Continental WOW not sure about them. How can you give my freight to someone else when we ordered from totally different people and totally different rock and box sizes? How it ever happened I will never truly know.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't be too happy about that..... what have you done to corect the situation....
Old 04/21/2005, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

80 lbs of rock is worth a good bit of money. I would be calling someone!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:09 AM
Frugal Reefer

600 pounds is 600 pounds. It could lose a little weight after being dried out, but regardless you should get 600 pounds of something when it arrives. At the minimun it should weigh 600 pounds when wet unless that packed it in actual water and weigh that too, but that doesn't make sense. I would say either the shipper shorted you, or the store that got it shorted you.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 04/21/2005, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

I think this is going to end up with me taking a loss as it was so hard to even get my rock that I already paid for from the company who had it in the first place after the airline mix up. Continental didn't weigh it since they didn't have a portable scale, and they (both the store who had my rock and the airlines) were even trying to convince me to take the still boxed up Fiji that the company also received today. Obviously a price difference here as I ordered Kaleini and they had Fiji Premium NOT Ultra or Show just Premium $119 stuff. To top it off the Fiji they were trying to convince me to take was packed in the same amount of boxes as mine (before the curing bins anyway) but theirs weighed 44 lbs, and all my boxes were 66 lbs. A huge weight difference there too. And although Continental airlines did appologize can you believe I still had to pay $278 for freight! Umm hello you gave my freight to someone else.

Last edited by cyberpanther; 04/21/2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Pay with a credit card? A little quick math & call your CC company. You are owed the difference for what you didn't receive. Call Continental & demand a 50% refund on the freight at least.

There is no way on God's green earth you should let this slide
Old 04/21/2005, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

agreed with PIKE.

NO way this should slide. Do both call airlines first demand atleast 50% back or all due to teh fact your live rock now not the same as it took longer and blah blah.

Call CC company and they are way easy to deal with. they do their own checkin into and stuff take total cost and include shipping as you dont want to pay for shipping on the stuff you didnt get and devide. let them know the problems and youll be suprised on what youll get.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Calls get returned, letters get answered. If you want your problem returned, make a phone call. If you want your problem answered write a letter. Preferably to a customer service rep of the airline, or someone else with power to solve your problem. If you do make phone calls, keep a log of whom you talked to, the date and who said what. Be polite but stern.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

If you paid with credit card threaten them with a charge back, that will light a fire with them.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Let me say I like Continental and have nothing bad to say about them. I will call them tomorrow, and will definitely try again to work something out, but they are still a good company in my mind. The reason being I have had a lot of good experiences with them too, but of course this single incident is still pretty bad. But still I hope they will realize that this was pretty bad and refund at least a portion of the carrier / shipping fees. It would make the situation better in my mind since it would cover the cost of most of the missing 80 lbs of rock. But either way I still like Continental.
Old 04/21/2005, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Sorry about your problem...I would not stand for it...when you call them ask them if they have ever heard of ReefCentral, as you have been mature enough so far as to not name anyone, let them know that if this is not settled you will start adding names to your thread, and post it in the vendor feedback...no one wants to get a bad image, or lose possible future business, and I think these types of threads on RC carry a big stick if you know what I mean...good luck..

DaveC
Old 04/21/2005, 06:56 AM

Raise all sorts of... I haven't used Cont.. my supplier uses AACargo to get my stuff to me. No major issues, but I feel as though the airlines doesn't care to much. My supplier on the other hand ROCKS!! AAcargo bumped a box, it was delayed 7 hours and everything died. It was a box that had no DOA for it because of the box lot pricing. Still my supplier gave me a credit, on AACargo's behalf. In addition to the credit card, and airline I would let the supplier know. while they are not really responsible, they might do something for you. At least back you up on this.
Old 04/21/2005, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

After my phone call today to the store who had the rock, they offered me another 20lbs but I am short 80 lbs. Since they only ordered and paid for the Fiji rock per Continental and per the store who had the rock I asked if I could come up to their store and pick out the 20 lbs. Granted my true intent here was to see if any of my rock was still in there bins as they even stated they only have Fiji right now, but they didn't know that. After I stated I would come up to pick the rock myself to ensure a got what I paid for, they said forget it. Continental then tried to call them numerous times and now there phone has been busy or off the hook since my call, hmmm (and its been hours). Continental still feels that I should pay the freight even though allowed tthe other store to pick up my live rock without the proper paperwork and ended up shorting me 80 lbs. I am not bashing the airlines for I do like them, but this is obviously wrong. My credit card is going to be called next to dispute ONLY the freight charges which would cover the costs of the missing rock. I can't believe Continental thinks I should pay them for giving my rock to someone else then being shorted 80 lbs as a result. After all it is their fault that the rock is short since they gave it to someone else who opened it and starting curing it in their bins. The company I ordered from is truly trying to help (I am pleased with them), but I am still stuck. The person I purchased it from stated he would dispute the freight charges if he were me to cover the price of the missing rock as well. I would order from the company again, but I would neer use Continental for freight which I use to love them. Still I am not trying to bash Continental but the Cleveland cargo area needs a little talking too from their corporate office IMO.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:11 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

So, I think people would be interested in knowing the store that may have shorted you.....
That really sucks. Can the airline verify the total weight of your rock that was shipped?
Sounds like you have a valid claim, either with the airline for failing to deliver your entire order, or the store
Old 04/21/2005, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the airline can confirm the amount that was originally shipped. I am going to try to find Continental's Corporate # for their Freight Services to see if they would be willing to get involved. So far all I can find are individual airport cargo areas #, and the main Continental Passenger phone #. If anybody else can find the main cargo # please PM me with it if you don't mind, thanks again. I don't want to state the name of the store that received it since although I may think they took the 80 lbs I don't know they did, so I don't want to put them out there like that without knowing. Don't get me wrong it infuriates me that the store probably took the rock, but if they didn't take it, well that would be wrong for me to do then. But I do know and can prove that Continental caused all of this so I will state their name openly.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Re: 600 lbs of Live Rock ended up being 520 wet

just to let u know, all the 50lb boxes stores get, about 6-10 lbs is usually wet news paper and box. unless you paid retail and hand picked and weigh ur pieces, when u buy a box, there is a lot of paper weight. Just an example I bought a box of rock that the store was charged 48 lbs for. after weighing just rock with out box or paper 41 lbs. btw I work at the store so i see all the invoices.

E

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberpanther
Is it normal to get 520 lbs of live rock when you order 600? Especially if the rock was just re-packed after an incident with Continetal airlines giving my rock to another store who had it curing in their bins? Just wondering shouldn't the rock weigh even more re-hydrated after being in their bins? I received 520 lbs of wet rock after the other store had its hands on it. Is this weight difference normal or doI need to call the airlines to have them go back on my behalf for the mix up?? Any help is appreciated. I am not going to state the names for both companies sake for it could honestly be a mistake. But Continental WOW not sure about them. How can you give my freight to someone else when we ordered from totally different people and totally different rock and box sizes? How it ever happened I will never truly know.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I would send a letter to the store that received the rock and threaten to sue them. Its not the best alternative but it has worked for me. I usually tell them my father is an attorney so it won't cost me much to take it to court. Not the truth but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to avoid being ripped off.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
just to let u know, all the 50lb boxes stores get, about 6-10 lbs is usually wet news paper and box. unless you paid retail and hand picked and weigh ur pieces, when u buy a box, there is a lot of paper weight.

So would 80 lbs missing then be considered normal? Seriously I don't know.
Registered Member

No, it's not normal. 80lbs short? That's maybe 8-10 gals of water weight lost, maybe. So is it POSSIBLE IF they shipped it sopping wet, and weighted it that way. Be that as it may, you ordered 600lbs, you should get 600lbs. It's THEIR fault if they shipped THAT much water, not yours. At a generous $5lb/delivered, that's a $400 rip-off. There's NO WAY I would settle, I would demand the 80lbs, shipped free of charge, since you already PAID for the shipping. If they refuse, I suggest you return the 520lbs. Ask them for an RA. It'll be cheaper for you, and they'll have to eat 520lbs of dead rock.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
The Man

If the wet boxes don't account for the missing lbs, I'll bet an employee of that fishstore recognized the mistake and has some nice Kaelini live rock in his home tank (about 80 lbs worth).

Jim
Old 04/21/2005, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

No the wet boxes probably weigh much, much less than 80 lbs.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

lol guess what, i did some calculations. 6 lbs out of 50 is 12% and 80lbs out of 600 is 13%. So the amount of paper and box weight sounds just about right. I think it is wrong if you paid full retail and weigh all ur rock at the store u don't get 600lbs, but if you're buying the boxes, thats really the way it is.

E
Old 04/21/2005, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Hehe... an online seller tried that with me. "Well the ship weight was 100lbs". I immediately returned with, "I did not order 'shipped weight' and I did not order boxes, in fact, you CHARGED me a box charge for the boxes. Therefore, since I ORDERED 100lbs, I expect 100lbs, NET WEIGHT. Look at the Net on the Bill Of Lading, that's the weight you go by, not the Gross. If they did it right, the Gross Weight should be higher than your ordered (Net) Weight by the weight of any boxes or packing materials. You can then obtain weights on those materials, assure they were in there, and adjust your claim accordingly.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 04/21/2005, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

The rock is nice and has a lot of small hard corals but I'm frustrated with this whole situation.
Old 04/21/2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I would be too, but there is accountability and you do have recourse. There is a department of weights and measures in this country for a reason (if you're in the US), and the fines are usually pretty harsh, on top of the fact that they'll have to reship you 600lbs, since the 520lbs may be seized as evidence. You're looking at eating $400. I don't know about you, but that's a LOT of money to me to just say "oh, don't worry about it". Remember, you DO NOT pay for packaging when purchasing by weight unless the vendor tells you that ahead of time. That's the way it is. They are allowed some minor leeway percentage +/-, at least with goods that can absorb and shed moisture, but not THAT much.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics