Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 03:01 PM

PS. I think you may be the one who was up early - I stayed up all night Kinda wish now I hadn't....

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 04/23/2007, 10:33 PM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Thanks Angel*Fish-- so nice of you to wait up all night waiting to hear how my little GSM is doing...

Sad news, actually. The little guy is now MIA. I can't find him anywhere.

I'm still holding out hope that he's hidden himself in one of the many LR caves or overhangs. It's possible that he's just out of sight.

It seemed strange that he made no attempt to go to the BTAs, especially considering that he spent all his time in the Specimen Box staring out at them.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 04/24/2007, 04:11 AM

Well despite my best search and rescue efforts, the outlook is not good. I'm starting to fear the worst...
Old 04/24/2007, 08:32 AM

Oh no that's too bad. I hope he turns up.

Keep us posted -

Your comment about me staying up all night literally made me lol, btw

Old 04/24/2007, 11:14 PM

Thanks Angel*Fish

I've pretty much given up hope now. There's no sign of the little guy.

An interesting observation, though: Ever since yesterday, my female WSM has been out and about in the tank. She normally stayed very, very close to her 2 BTAs, but today she's been swimming around and into new parts of the tank.
Old 04/26/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Checked your overflow? :-)

I bought two Maroons last week, though im afraid the size isn't enough of a difference. It's pretty much been a story of the larger chasing the small away when it gets to close... Usually the larger will pick on of two areas to hang around in the tank.
The smaller will try to get close and chased off.... then it'll circle around trying to get within 2-3"s of the larger then get chased off again. After awhile, it'll stop and find an area away...and stay there, then rinse and repeat again.
Old 04/26/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Took me hours to find my wrasse... she had jumped ship and must have wiggled for awhile, she ended up in a bag of filter floss that was laying sideways.

I hope you find it IN water. loseing a fish sux more than anything.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 04/26/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

ulric... if the male isent already dead, sounds like they could pair up!! mine played the chase away game for a few days

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 04/26/2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulric
Checked your overflow? :-)

I bought two Maroons last week, though im afraid the size isn't enough of a difference. It's pretty much been a story of the larger chasing the small away when it gets to close... Usually the larger will pick on of two areas to hang around in the tank.
The smaller will try to get close and chased off.... then it'll circle around trying to get within 2-3"s of the larger then get chased off again. After awhile, it'll stop and find an area away...and stay there, then rinse and repeat again.
That sounds like they are in the process of pairing up to me
Are you from houston?

Old 05/02/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Hello all I've been reading this thread because I'm interested in pairing up two WSM.

My thought was to purchase two small ~ 3/4" - 1" WSM and see if they would pair up that way.

But I only have a 50g tank and I'm begining to realize it may be too small for a pair. I may just stick with with one and get a BTA for it.

Any thoughts?

Vinny
Old 05/17/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Hello guys,
I just wanted to let you guys know the process of setting the small GS Marron Clown in a specimen container before letting him loose in the tank has worked for me so far.

I have what i assume is a female GS Maroon in my tank and she is about 2 1/2 inches. A few months ago I tried pairing her with a small mate but the little guy did not make it.
Anyways, after reading this post I decided to try again. I bought a small specimen container and drilled holes in it. At first, the female was scared of the container but every once in a while she would come up to the container and the little guy would start shaking like crazy. The little guy was in the container for a week before i let him loose in the tank. There was some action at first! The female came right up to him to bite but the little guy would pull up right next to her cheek and shake. that last it for about a minute [I didn't think anything was wrong since she didn't really get a good bit on him, almost like she would only try to push him with her mouth]
After that, it almost looked like she told the little guy to stay put in one area of the tank and every 2 minutes she would come and check on him but he would shake again. This went on for the entire afternoon, he did not seem like he was doing bad, so i left it be.
About 5 days have gone by and no more of the shaking has happened but she doesn't bother him either. He did try to get in front of her little hole once, but hasn't tried since. At feeding time the little guy eats like the others and doesn't seem stressed at all, but he does hang out in the same spot mostly.

So what happens now? how long does it take before he goes from a juvenile to a male? Does anyone know? Does that has to happen before they start swimming together?

Anyways guys, thanks for the info!
Old 05/17/2007, 01:19 PM
clownfish fan

they will swim together before he is fully transformed.
i think you are on your way to a pair congrats