Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/01/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Lionfish Tankmates

I am wanting to setup a saltwater tank, yet I can't decide on what fish I want to keep so I can't decide what size tank to buy. If I get a lionfish I will get a 50gallon tank, but if I don't want to get the lionfish I will probably get a 40gallon tank. What tankmates would I be able to put in with the lionfish without worrying about them getting eaten? Thanks
Old 03/01/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

anything that can fit in their mouths is potential prey and will get eaten also you might want to rethink a large lion species they grow very fast and eat alot and will outgrow your 50 gal. mine is almost to big for my 180 right now and still growing. so maby a dwarf lion or something
oohhh BTW
Old 03/01/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Sorry I forgot to mention I would be getting a dwarf lionfish, I know 50gallons is too small for a larger species of lionfish Can you offer any suggestions as to what sort of species of fish could be kept with a dwarf lionfish? Could clownfish be kept with them or would they be viewed as food?
Old 03/01/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

not too sure but maby try reading this it might help ya out
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Old 03/01/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I've read it already though. If anybody could suggest some tankmates that could live their whole life in a 50 gallon and wouldnt be eaten by a lionfish that'd be good
Old 03/01/2007, 08:00 PM
10 & Over Club

an equal sized lionfish.....
Old 03/01/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

how about a large tang(jk tang police), but seriously ive had one with a marine beta, maybe a dwarf angel?
Old 03/01/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I really like the flame angel's, anyone else know if they would be ok with a dwarf lionfish?
Old 03/01/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

yes it would(if the flame is not too small-lol). as long as the flame is larger than the mouth of the lion.
Old 03/01/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

make sure you give the flame some rock. they are shy and like to hide
Old 03/01/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I'm planning to put liverock in so the flame angel will have somewhere to go, if I got clownfish and they were quite big, do you think they would be ok or no?
Old 03/01/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

first of all do yo already have the lion? if not choose your clown and when it is large enough then insert the dwarf lion. i personally have a maroon in my more aggressive tank. if you already have a dwarf lion make sure you get a clown at least 2" long. i bought my gold striped marron at about 2-1/2". good luck.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

I dont have anything yet, I just wanted to decide if I am going to get a lionfish because if I am I am going to get the larger 50 gallon instead of 40 gallon. I think I will get the 50 gallon, get a pair of maroon clowns (are there any other large clowns?) and then put the dwarf lion in Basically, any fish 2.5"-3" and above should be fine?
Old 03/02/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

You could do a dwarf lion and a snowflake eel in a 50 gallon. Make absolute certain that you get the "correct" dwarf lion (I see them mis-labled all the time at LFS). Without going larger, you're very limited with respect to appropriate tankmates. I wouldn't put any dwarf angel with any lion (dwarf or otherwise). I saw a dwarf lion eat a longnose butterfly that was almost the same size at a LFS.
Old 03/02/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I have a dwarf zebra lion in with a Green Spotted Puffer and a Flame Angel in a 55G. No problems whatsoever. The Lion was the last addition, and smallest, but he is probably the biggest right now as they grow pretty fast. A full-size clown will be fine as well. I am most likely going to transfer the flame angel to my colorful 45G and add a different dwarf puffer.
Old 03/02/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

A snow flake eel will outgrow a 50g tank and they are rather messy creatures - detrimental to the water quality in a tank that size. You could keep a small one for awhile, but you'll need to find it a new home eventually.
Old 03/02/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, I think I might just skip on the lionfish, I really want one but I also want smaller colourful fish which obviously the two cannot be put together.
Old 03/05/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

At one time I had 1 Clarkii, 1 Snowflake eel, 1 Fuzzy Dwarf, 1 Zebra dwarf, Lawnmower blenny and 6 Mollies in a tank.

I had shutdown my 30gal, which was used as a rough 'breeder' tank for the mollies, hoping they would serve as a..healther food source for the fuzzy that I was having problems getting to go over to non-live food.

While the lions, would...watch the mollies, they never went after any of them. I think it was more execption to the rule though.