Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/21/2005, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

http://www.cocargo.com/cocargo/

Try 1800-421-2456 or 1-800-281-553-5050

I would highly suggest calling there, if they can't help ask to speak with a supervisor. You might also try similar with the cargo location you dealt with. Each time they tell you that all they can do, you let them finish and calmly ask to speak with their supervisior or superior. If their not available, get their name and if possible contact #... keep going up. Locate the corporate office # if possible and report the problem to them...

...and good luck.
Old 04/21/2005, 01:21 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

Keep at it. the only way it can get worse is for nothing to happen. Make sure you get your moneys worth, no matter what.
Old 04/21/2005, 02:03 PM
Moved On

The fish store either sold your rock or have kept it. In the end, I would go after the fish store for illegally signing off on someone else's shipment.

The airline weighed the shipment at 600# as did the seller. You have two sources to show that this is what happened. I would sue them in small claims court or tell the seller what happened and have them go through that effort. The fish store became responsible for your shipment the second they signed for it whether they like it or not. It is up to them to take it up with the airlines after they lose the suit... which they will.

Don't blow this off as you're fighting for consumers everywhere.

BTW consider this like you would FedEx delivering your package to a neighbor (because you weren't home) and then getting an open package with contents missing. I mean it's not like you don't know who stole your rock.
Old 04/21/2005, 02:07 PM
Moving Along

If you plan to never do any sort of mail order again sit on it. But if you do and for the sake of everyone else who plans to FIGHT FOR RIGHT!
And if for one second you feel petty , think of me , as I on a continual basis have to go back in or stop my local liquor store and say "uh you forgot my nickel, " or when my change is less than 3 cents I do go through the uncomfortable stare and sometimes even have to put my hand out.
"oh sorry boss"
"my mistake boss"
You want to talk about the fleecing of America ....
Not to bash, but this hobby is expensive enough without haveing to pay for something you didnt receive.

Keep us posted, Id love to hear how this resolves itself.
Good luck.

-Justin
Old 04/21/2005, 03:13 PM
Now give me a dollar!

The idea that it is industry standard to weigh the product as it is wrapped and shipped is ridiculous! That shows that the fraud is pre-planned and all the more reason to fight it!
Guess that getting 88% of what you paid for kind of raises the actual price.

You:"I see the price of your rock. Is that based on a 16 ounce pound or your normal 12 ounce pound?"
Them: "huh?"
You: "have you heard of Reef Central Vendor Feedback? I would like to talk about my last shipment."

Just an idea.

Car;
Old 04/21/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Actually, most companies don't weight the goods as they're shipping, that's business-wide, not only this industry. They have weights on their packaging (Tare) and weights on the packed boxes (Gross). The difference between Gross and Tare is the amount of product packaged (Net). I design complete software packages for businesses, if y'all are wondering why on earth I would know that. Anyway, your shipping charges are based on Gross Weight and/or Volume. Neither has anything to do with product weight. BOLs should have Net, Tare, and Gross listed if you're buying by weight. Your Gross should NEVER be the same as what you ordered.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 04/21/2005, 03:45 PM

I thought I was pretty easy going, but man you have me beat. I would post the LSF name here and every where else I could think of. God certainly blessed you with some major kindness
Old 04/21/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

There's precedent for online forums being sued (and the persons participating in them) for that kind of thing.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 04/21/2005, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Why in the world would an lfs open a box of rocks that does not have their name on it? Did they expect to get a box of free rocks since the air line made a mistake? If the lfs did or did not take part of the rocks or sold it to other customer, it does not sound right. I would say that the lfs is dishonest in this case.

mattt.
Old 04/21/2005, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Hello,

You should just call your credit card company and they will settle the problem for you. You will not believe how much power you have since you used a credit card. I think your problem is between you and the people you purchased the rock from. You should not have to chase your rock around or even bother dealing with the airlines or the people who got your rock. It is the people who sold you the rock who should be resolving this problem. When you order 600 lb of rock you should receive 600 lb of rock ( this is actually the law). I am in the scale business so I know a little about weights and measures. The people selling rock are supposed to tare or zero out the weight of the boxes and all packing material and only charge you for the rock. If you contact the Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures and tell them you are getting screwed on weights they will show up at the business who is screwing you out of product and hand out some pretty hefty fines.
Old 04/21/2005, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

What would make me even more mad...and I know its cheesy...but whoever at that LFS you may or may not have that rock also has all the choice pieces now too. In fact you make have had the next purple monster, superman danae, etc. on that rock...that they stole...I'd be furious and at that LFS. You'll know the second you say something if someone has that rock. Look at their faces...the people working there will talk...and they will **** bricks if you show up with a "lawyer". Be him one or not.

my 2 cents...

-Matthew
Old 04/21/2005, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scunan
Hello,

You should just call your credit card company and they will settle the problem for you. You will not believe how much power you have since you used a credit card. I think your problem is between you and the people you purchased the rock from. You should not have to chase your rock around or even bother dealing with the airlines or the people who got your rock. It is the people who sold you the rock who should be resolving this problem. When you order 600 lb of rock you should receive 600 lb of rock ( this is actually the law).
EXACTLY so!! The people you ordered the rock from might be nice guys and all of that. But they are the ones who profited from this transaction. They are either collectors or middlemen, but they are the ones who accept the liability of the shipment. That is why they get to charge for profit.

Absolutely do NOT go off the line online companies like to give, "it wasn't our fault, talk to ________(insert the shipper's name here)"

You paid your money, you are entitled to your product. No more hassle than that. Shipping is the liability of the vendor who is taking your money. I don't know about you, but I value my time pretty highly, and would not chase this thing all over hell and gone. I also don't need the stress.

I went through this for a chiller last year that was delivered to a house in the wrong city! Luckily they were honest people (or not reefers ) and it was easily sorted as they'd already called the shipping company and vendor of the equipment.

Just the same, as soon as I got the story from the shipper, I called the vendor I bought it from, gave them the info I had and politely informed them it was their problem to deal with, and since I'd paid for express shipping(had a temp problem) I expected them to get me one posthaste.(which they did) I have better things to do with my time.

Edit: If you arranged the shipping or insisted on Continental, you did accept some of the responsibility, and you will also have to deal with the airline yourself.
Old 04/21/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
If you arranged the shipping or insisted on Continental, you did accept some of the responsibility, and you will also have to deal with the airline yourself.

I would agree, but fortunately I had no idea even who the carrier was until the day it arrived. And did I mention it was delivered to the wrong airport. It was suppose to go to Akron Canton and it went to Cleveland.

This was all fortunate it enough to happen, guess when. On the first day my newly born son came home from the hospital. Took me 6 hours just that day alone to end up short.
Old 04/21/2005, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Good, that makes it easy.

Continental is a dead end. You aren't their customer.
That fish shop is a dead end. You aren't their customer.

Get the vendor of the rock on the phone. This is at most 2 phone calls to resolution.

The first to the vendor.

If they won't help you, the second to the credit card company, as mentioned, and dispute the charges. That will light the fire, and your phone will start ringing.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new child!

And on what must be a huge new tank too!
Old 04/21/2005, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

keeps us updated on what happens- I'm all wrapped up in this saga now, I want vengeance!!!
Old 04/22/2005, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvtolean
Good, that makes it easy.

Continental is a dead end. You aren't their customer.
That fish shop is a dead end. You aren't their customer.

Get the vendor of the rock on the phone. This is at most 2 phone calls to resolution.

The first to the vendor.

If they won't help you, the second to the credit card company, as mentioned, and dispute the charges. That will light the fire, and your phone will start ringing.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new child!

And on what must be a huge new tank too!
That sounds very logical to me. You shouldn't be the one chasing down all the problems. Let the vendor deal with the shipping company and the fish store who "inadvertenly" picked up your shipment.

Don't let this slide. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04/22/2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDodds
No, it's not normal. 80lbs short? That's maybe 8-10 gals of water weight lost, maybe. So is it POSSIBLE IF they shipped it sopping wet, and weighted it that way. Be that as it may, you ordered 600lbs, you should get 600lbs. It's THEIR fault if they shipped THAT much water, not yours. At a generous $5lb/delivered, that's a $400 rip-off. There's NO WAY I would settle, I would demand the 80lbs, shipped free of charge, since you already PAID for the shipping. If they refuse, I suggest you return the 520lbs. Ask them for an RA. It'll be cheaper for you, and they'll have to eat 520lbs of dead rock.
I agree totally! This is not the way to do business. In fact weather or not they shorted you while packing they should eat it and send you more rock at no cost! Then THEY can take it up with the airline to get their money and save a valued client willing to buy again and prase there company to others!
Old 04/22/2005, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Been there, done that on a similar situation. The most expedient route is to call your credit card company and start the charge-back process because you did not receive the product you paid for. It's up to the merchant that sold you the LR to track it down and resolve the issue (or they don't get paid). They may be nice people but being ripped off for big bucks and time lost nullifies nice. My 2 cents and I hope things work out for you.
Old 04/22/2005, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

What exactly did you order? Did you order nine 66lb boxes (594lbs) of rock? If so, it would not be far off to say that you would have 60-80lbs of box, styrofoam, plastic bags, and rubble. Buy liverock by the box can be a bit misleading. Many people think that if they buy a 50 lb box of liverock, that they are going to get 50lbs of live rock.

What they actually get is a box that weighs 50lbs. Inside it is liverock, rubble, and packing materials, which are all included in the weight.

I'm getting 174lbs of Marshall Island liverock today. I'll be happy if I get 150lbs of actual liverock to sell. The 14% difference between gross and net? That's normal and expected.

As far as the LFS picking up your rock, I wouldn't blame them too much. When their driver showed up, they probably just signed a bill, check-in sheet, and paid freight. Then they loaded up whatever boxes that the airline said was "theirs", and went to the store.

Hope you get everything that is due to you, but 520/594=87.5%, which is not an unrealistic live rock net weight.
Old 04/22/2005, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

I guess I was lucky. For all 3 shipments of LR I received, The actual weight was a few pounds over what I paid for.
Old 04/22/2005, 12:11 PM
Tiny Miracles.

I think it all depends on what company you buy from and what kind of liverock you buy.

For instance if you get rock shipped directly from the pacific, you would get the 50lb box and about 41-44lbs of rock. But if you handpicked the rock, and ordered 600lbs of rock(not transhipped) you should recieve 600lbs of rock. What exactly did you order?

I would go back to the company you ordered from and tell them you ordered 600 lbs of rock and only recieved 520 or however much you recieved and demand them to send that rock out.
Old 04/22/2005, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

He said he ordered Kaelini rock, which comes in 66lb boxes, transhipped.
Old 04/22/2005, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Why would the other LFS(the one that mistakenly got your rock) offer you 20lbs of thier rock if they did nothing wrong.... I know I wouldn't.
Old 04/22/2005, 01:17 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by john76
Why would the other LFS(the one that mistakenly got your rock) offer you 20lbs of thier rock if they did nothing wrong.... I know I wouldn't.
That is a good point...why would they offer you $100+ in rock if they didn't do anything wrong? Did they offer it because they feel bad for opening your rock or because they took your rock and they thought this would settle the dispute?
Old 04/22/2005, 03:31 PM
Not Really

Your shipper has an airway bill that says how many pieces and how much the total weight was.. Sometimes each box has a weight listed on the airway bill. The continental cargo also retains a copy of the airway bill as does the person who signed for the shipment.. I work for an airline, and I can tell ya we keep great records on cargo. We have to D.O.T. and such.. Ask the shipper for the airway bill number and call continental cargo 800 number.. You should be able to get this from the reservation number.. Give them the airway bill number and get the details from the shipment.. Heck have a copy faxed.. While you are at it tell them you are very dissatisfied with their service and you should be entitled to a refund for shipping.. That was a major service failure. Of course if the shipper prepaid for shipping they will only refund the shipper but it is worth a try. If I had given a shippment to the wrong person I would refund shipping, same thing if baggage doesnt arrive with the passenger.. We pay! Not you.