Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2005, 08:07 AM
Drunken Member

Question any good liars out there?

Just wondering if anyone else out there has used their tank to get out of something?

I once left work 4 hours early because my girlfriend called and said my Foxface was swimming weird. I told my boss I had a family emergency.
Old 04/01/2005, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Re: any good liars out there?

Quote:
Originally posted by AllenFord_SC
I told my boss I had a family emergency.
Now that is FUNNY!
Old 04/01/2005, 08:28 AM
intergalatic hitchhiker

I do it all the time- my landlord has "accidently cracked" two of my tanks now, while doing repairs, I've stayed home several times for burst plumbing, metal halide fires, etc... My supervisor knows about my passion for the salt water hobby, and just shakes his head every time- at this point, I dont think he'd ever let his child have even a goldfish bowl now...

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 04/01/2005, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Is the Pope Polish? Is a Frogs butt water tight?

I ran out of excuses, now I'm the boss so I just leave!
Not a sellout!
Old 04/01/2005, 08:35 AM
Me in Iraq

Re: any good liars out there?

Quote:
Originally posted by AllenFord_SC
Just wondering if anyone else out there has used their tank to get out of something?

I once left work 4 hours early because my girlfriend called and said my Foxface was swimming weird. I told my boss I had a family emergency.
How is that lying?
Old 04/01/2005, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

I am self employed and have left early many a time due to tank issues. My employees all laugh and shake their heads every time I leave. They can't understand what could possibly need immediatley attention in a "fish tank". I don't even bother to explain.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 04/01/2005, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

I took a day off when the power went off. I had to power my tanks from the car battery using the Power inverter. I told them that I could not dry my clothes or take a shower to come into work until later in the afternoon.
Old 04/01/2005, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

LOL. Good thread.
Its easy for me because my 112g is in my office so I can always keep an eye on it. Then when I go to my jobs in the feil I almost always end up at the fish stores.
Old 04/01/2005, 11:22 AM
NJ Reefers Club

Quote:
Originally posted by sulp
I am self employed and have left early many a time due to tank issues. My employees all laugh and shake their heads every time I leave. They can't understand what could possibly need immediatley attention in a "fish tank". I don't even bother to explain.
I'm SE too and the look on their faces when I told them I had to stay home because I was having rock delivered. I didn't dare tell them that it was going to be 60# of rock!
Old 04/01/2005, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyl
I'm SE too and the look on their faces when I told them I had to stay home because I was having rock delivered. I didn't dare tell them that it was going to be 60# of rock!
I bet they really would have thought you were lying if you told them how much you paid for rocks...

I paid $80 for one rock once.. sure, it had 2 large mushrooms and a polyp colony on it, but it was still just a ROCK.. I didn't dare tell my wife how much it was.. I walked out of the LFS shaking my head and repeating to myself.. "$80 for a rock...$80 for a stupid rock..."
Old 04/01/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

i once spent $250 on a large blueface angel that ended up dieing in two weeks.

i stayed home for 2 days trying to save him, just said i was sick
Old 04/01/2005, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Old 04/01/2005, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Called in "I'm too stupid to work today"

...still employed. Make of it what you will.
Old 04/01/2005, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I work from home in sales to the Government. On fridays its really slow especially in the afternoon. Around 3ish I head downstairs to the basement to fiddle with the tank for 3 hrs.
Old 04/01/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

im a student in college, and wrote a paper once about my tanks...one day i showed up for class, it had been canceled, and the SI leader was there and gave me a not, my proff had a crack in his tank (which i didn't know he had) and asked me to come to his house and help him. it was the funnies thing ever, i barely knew the guy, he didn't even know my face, just my paper. We worked on it for like 10 hours, bought him a new tank then moved everything over, it sucked, but he gave me 100 extra credit points. The next week when we met, he appologised to the class, and said that his daughter had been in a car accident in denver, and that he was in the hospital all day, i did everythig i could not to laugh to myself.
tim
Old 04/01/2005, 03:33 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

I just call in dead whenever I dont want to work. The "boss" just says ok.
Old 04/01/2005, 03:36 PM
><(((">

Quote:
Originally posted by T-$$$
im a student in college, and wrote a paper once about my tanks...one day i showed up for class, it had been canceled, and the SI leader was there and gave me a not, my proff had a crack in his tank (which i didn't know he had) and asked me to come to his house and help him. it was the funnies thing ever, i barely knew the guy, he didn't even know my face, just my paper. We worked on it for like 10 hours, bought him a new tank then moved everything over, it sucked, but he gave me 100 extra credit points. The next week when we met, he appologised to the class, and said that his daughter had been in a car accident in denver, and that he was in the hospital all day, i did everythig i could not to laugh to myself.
tim
haha thats funny.
Old 04/01/2005, 04:08 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

ive stayed home for school because of "death in the family" which was one of my fish

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 04/01/2005, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

I always have some "personal banking" to do on days that the LFS is getting a shipment in. That way i can leave early before the bank closes and beat the rush.