Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2005, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Wanted to supply a link to related information...

The process for this, is (the same pretty much, just different aggregates) the same used for Hypertufa.

Http://www.gardenweb.com

forums

Hypertufa

Misc: The cement gets it's strength from the materials in the mix (referred to as aggregate(sp?)). Normaly in the hypertufa, one uses sand and peatmoss (or other organic forms of aggregate) in the mix...the idea being eventualy the organic materials decompose forming voids in the surface.

Commonly 'rocks',planters etc created from Hypertufa or placed under a tarp and regularly misted or just placed into a body of water to 'soak/cure' after it has set. I've done a few planters that are normaly approx 3/4" to 1" thick and that fairly solid... and a partial sphere that is between 1/4 & 1/2 in thick (portland/Sand mix) that I think could/would support the weight of my 7yr old
Old 03/18/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgunn

when asked what animal eats the oyster shells.

They mix it in with chicken feed as a calcium supplement.

Tyler
It is also why we get that EXTRA crispy chicken from KFC.
"So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts." - Psalm 104:25 KJV
Old 03/18/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Alright... trying this tomorrow (provided I can find the Type II cement) in lieu of "Great Stuff" to create a "cliff" for the back of my 10G nano...
Old 03/21/2005, 03:57 PM
Moved On

where do you find the white portland cement. I bought the grey does anyone use this stuff?
Old 03/21/2005, 04:33 PM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

Quote:
Originally posted by rollinreefer
where do you find the white portland cement. I bought the grey does anyone use this stuff?
I use the Riverside White cement manufactured by TXI. Their website is www.txi.com.

The first rock I made was out of gray portland cement. Most of it is still in my tank. It took a while for the pH to lower. I have heard of a lot of rock that the pH never came down when using cement. That is why I like the Riverside cement because after curing for 28 days it is ready to use without any pH problems.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03/21/2005, 07:41 PM
Jammin' with live rock

I used the yellow pages and found a CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY company right down the street. I ended up with 90 or so lbs bag for $20.
Old 03/21/2005, 07:48 PM
Moved On

Yeah i looked it up and found a few places to call but they were closed so have to wait for tommorow. wow the white stuff is that much more than the grey? the grey was only 7 $. oh well still worth it i guess.
Old 03/21/2005, 07:50 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer
The first rock I made was out of gray portland cement. Most of it is still in my tank. It took a while for the pH to lower. I have heard of a lot of rock that the pH never came down when using cement. That is why I like the Riverside cement because after curing for 28 days it is ready to use without any pH problems.

Thanks,

Scott

do you do the soaking in hot vinegar ?
Old 03/21/2005, 11:17 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by GARFVolunteer
I use the Riverside White cement manufactured by TXI. Their website is www.txi.com.
Hey, thanks again for the information on the manufacturer of the Riverside White cement. I contacted them about a dealer near my location. Unfortunately the closest distributor is in Minnesota; quite a distance from where I am. D'oh!

Tyler
Old 03/22/2005, 12:14 AM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

Quote:
do you do the soaking in hot vinegar ?
With the Riverside white cement I do not do the vinegar bath since there is no pH problem. With any other cement I would test the pH and give it a vinegar bath if the pH was high after soaking in fresh water for a week or so.(This is after the 28 days of curing)

Thanks,

Scott
Old 03/22/2005, 06:10 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Folks, don't be too concerned who makes the white portland. Also, for barely more than twice the price of grey portland, it's still a good deal. One 90-100lbs bag can make more rocks than most reefers will need. I'm including a link to some good portland cement information. Any portland you find will be acceptable for making rocks (excluding blend/morter mixes). All of them will give off High levels of ph for a period of time. Most curing time issues have to do with methods employed for the curing not the brand or type of cement used.

Portland Cement Link

Ok, I'm not intending to flame, but I thought some things could be cleared up some.

Last edited by CaptainCoral; 03/22/2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03/22/2005, 07:40 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCoral
All of them will give off High levels of ph for a period of time. Most curing time issues have to do with methods employed for the curing not the brand or type of cement used.

Ok, I'm not intending to flame, but I thought some things could be cleared up some.
I only wish I knew why my rocks are taking their sweet time curing. 4 1/2 month later they're still spiking the pH. Dunno what else it could be other than the portland I'm using.

Tyler
Old 03/22/2005, 10:44 PM
Moved On

I went out and got the white stuff today. The brand was Leigh or something and was 19$.
Old 03/22/2005, 11:06 PM
Jammin' with live rock

tgunn....man you're deffinately going to have to put them in the fountain. sorry to hear your having troubles with them. I've also made a "note to self" not to buy canadian portland cement.

rollinreefer....cool, now it's time to play in the sandbox.
Old 03/22/2005, 11:31 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCoral
tgunn....man you're deffinately going to have to put them in the fountain. sorry to hear your having troubles with them. I've also made a "note to self" not to buy canadian portland cement.

Well, I just did another water change today; the cement seems to be doing some massive hydrating recently. Perhaps this is the last bit of curing before they're "really cured".

These things have been going so long I just wanna 'em, but there's this overwhelming sense of curiosity as to how long they will take in the end.

I'm thinking in the summer time if they're not done I'll find a lake and dump 'em for a nice long while.

Tyler
Old 03/23/2005, 05:02 PM
Moved On

made one yesterday . It came out as a pretty cool shape but not as pourus as i wanted and are they supposed to be so heavy? I was thinking maybe i used too much cement.
Old 03/23/2005, 05:08 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
made one yesterday . It came out as a pretty cool shape but not as pourus as i wanted and are they supposed to be so heavy? I was thinking maybe i used too much cement.
It all depends on how large the rock you made is. I've made some pretty large structures that weigh quite a bit simply because they are large. The shells and sand make up a majority of the weight.

If your rock is porous, you should be able to fill a little dip in the rock with water and it should filter it's way through the rock rather than pooling up.

Mine seem to be getting more porous as they cure.

My latest batch where I made the mix much drier (less water) turned out even more porous.

Tyler
Old 03/23/2005, 05:24 PM
Moved On

I made it a little wet , i think. I was using a electric drill mixer and it was burning up the drill, it was smoking.

what is the gernal mixture ratio again?
Old 03/23/2005, 11:25 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
I made it a little wet , i think. I was using a electric drill mixer and it was burning up the drill, it was smoking.

what is the gernal mixture ratio again?
The ratio I use:
1 part water
1 part white portland cement
4 parts crushed oyster shell
1 part sand

However I think I end up using less than a part of water in the end.. I tend to rinse my oyster shells and the moisture that's left on them is about all that's needed.

Tyler
Old 03/24/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

I tryed to follow that mixture the other day and I just went to see how they turned out and they just crumbled as i dug them out of the sand. Maybe i need to let them dry longer or my mix was not wet enough. I guess i will have to try again.
Brian
Old 03/24/2005, 09:08 AM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by neo1013
I tryed to follow that mixture the other day and I just went to see how they turned out and they just crumbled as i dug them out of the sand. Maybe i need to let them dry longer or my mix was not wet enough. I guess i will have to try again.
Brian
Brian,
Yes, I have found that they will be really fragile and crumbly for the first couple of days. I now let mine cure for a minimum of 3 days in the box with the lid on (keeping them moist). They seem to strengthen up quite nicely once they harden.

Tyler
Old 03/24/2005, 04:37 PM
Moved On

Mine was dryed rock hard in 24 hours
Old 03/24/2005, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I bought the wrong stuff quickrete portland cement. ITs a blend OMG. I gotta go back and return it. The thing was 90 pounds. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 03/24/2005, 10:13 PM
Moved On

Yeah thats what i did at first. You have to go to a builders supply store and get the white, cost more but it still comes in the same size bags though.
Old 03/24/2005, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

are you able to get the cement from lowes?? And can you use any type of cement?