Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I get my brine shrimp eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct so that sounds like the best way to go.

I thought Luis had a secret inside route to squid oil, oh well. I've got a 1,000 or so 1000mg tabs of fish oil on the shelf. I'll share with the fish.

So, otohime topdressed with CE/astaxanthin and then some fish oil stirred in, sounds real doable, thanks folks.
Old 09/28/2006, 09:50 AM
Moved On

CE is big enough for them to eat without more food attached. Top dress otohime with astaxanthin or Naturose, which is the algae that is rich with it.
Old 09/28/2006, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jake levi
I thought Luis had a secret inside route to squid oil, oh well.
I obtained "samples"from a local manufacturer.Some few 100 ml vials that will last for years!.I guess many of you know the "samples"trick!
Actually soybean oil or just any oil would work for "encapsulation".
Fish oil is used because of vitamins and attractive flavor and taste (for the fish).I chose squid because of the high HUFA content.I think Selcon is emulsified squid oil
Old 09/28/2006, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

"purist" that I am, fish oil it is.

On account dont got no squished squids.

I get this cartoon image of elmer fudd trying to shove squids who are holding on through an old fashioned washer wringer.

with the chipmunks trying to sneak in a nut.

Probably why I was never a rocket scientist.
Old 09/28/2006, 09:31 PM
Moved On

Otohime is around 25$ a kilo on average.
Naturose is 38+$ a pound, which will topdress 45 kilo Otohime. That comes to $25.85 per kilogram for the top dressed Oto. Perhaps add a couple dollars for fish oil.

Freeze dried cyclopeeze is $400 per kilogram.

Not a tough choice.
Old 09/28/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Freeze dried cyclopeeze is $400 per kilogram.
I think Kathy has been smokin' the cheap sh*t. $124/ kilo

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH...clop-eeze.html

For some bizarre reason, frozen, which is better, is LESS ??

( but shipping might kill you)

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH...ze_frozen.html

Last edited by David M; 09/28/2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Kathys right, not a whole lot of decision agonizing to do.

Five years ago when I left the reefs world our choices were a whole lot less, its a lot better place to be right now, I did ahve a little project ongoing for a couple of years with several ~ 8 gal tanks with Med sand and some murcellidae, but they got fed fish slivers and as many of themselves as they chose to.

Reed Mariculture I know about, who's the best source for Naturase ? Best as in affordable. Brine Shrimp Direct has antaxthrin but I dont recall the price.
Old 09/29/2006, 08:12 AM
Moved On

Well, whatever I'm smokin' is clearly better than whatever Dave is smokin'.

Whether you buy dry cyclopeeze from Marine Depot $400 or Jehmco $128, you are paying more per kilo for food than Naturose dressed Otohime $28. A lot more. My point.

The "bizarre", or, may I suggest, logical reason frozen cyclo costs less per kilo is that water weighs a lot, but is remarkably cheap to include. It comes naturally in the bodies of the copepods. In fact, it is hard to exclude, unless you, drum roll here, freeze dry it! However, water is not cheap to ship, especially when it has to be kept frozen, as you pointed out.

There is no rational way to compare the cost/weight of frozen vs. freeze dried. You could always count the copepod bodies and compare the cost per million, but I'll leave that exercise to David. JK

Last edited by Kathy55g; 09/29/2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09/29/2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

'doh, I guess that's what I get for TUI (typing under the influence). Of course frozen is more weight per count, my bad

Anyway I'm not advocating a diet of 100% CE, I feed primarily oto and just use the CE for color. At my level the cost factor is insignificant and I think you are forgetting about the nutritional value of the CE as well, it's not just for the astaxanthin.
I like my protocol and will keep it up, not interested in a bunch of oily sinking food that I have to worry about going rancid on me JK, I will order up some NR and give it a try, maybe I'll convert.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:04 AM
Moved On

I agree CE is nutritious, and so apparently is Otohime.
Old 09/29/2006, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Drugs are bad m'kay...

You both have a point, CE is way more nutritious than any dry food, otohime was develop for food fish farms not for ornamentals, like I said before if you are breeding at home 200-400 fish a week CE will not get you broke , if you are cranking 2000 fish a week then a commercial preparation is what you need to keep the cost of production under control and still have good colored fish.

You should group buy a 40-80 pound bag of Ziegler with the taxi cab driver in( lets see who remenbers this one) ship it to one of you and spilt it and ship to everybody who wants some.

Their coating process it more efficient since they been doing it for decades.

Ed
Old 09/29/2006, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g
I agree CE is nutritious, and so apparently is Otohime.
FD CE as an exclusive diet gives good colour but worse growth than my control diet,wich is worse than Otohime.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Edgar, I doub't anyone will forget about the cab driver.
Old 09/30/2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

CE is a fresh water copepod from northern Canada, I doubt it has the optimal nutritional profile for saltwater fishies as most freshwater critters don't. Mostly missing or defecient in the HUFA"s and Omega compounds. A conversation with some very knowledgable people at IMAC convinced me of that. It's the naturally occuring cartinoids that are hard to beat.
Old 10/03/2006, 07:43 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
not interested in a bunch of oily sinking food that I have to worry about going rancid on me ...
I worried about oil, too, but apparantly it sticks onto the food well and does not come out.

What sinking? Mine either floats or the fish eat it before it hits bottom!

I've been very happy with the recipe class and my new great growth, great color Oto/naturose food.

I just sold 20 4 month old Ocellaris that look as good as my 6 month olds. The younger ones were on Oto and then Oto/Naturose exclusively! I am looking forward to future hatches!

Cheers,
Kathy
Old 10/04/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Kathy you're not using rotis now ?
Old 10/04/2006, 11:37 AM
Moved On

Of course I used rotifers as the first food! Then NHBS, etc.

Then Oto after weaning them onto it.

K
Old 10/05/2006, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

okay, I misunderstood your post. It seemed you were saying you were on all artificial. S or L type ?
Old 10/05/2006, 07:22 AM
Moved On

L for ocellaris
Old 10/06/2006, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks.

There's been some great advances just the last few years in artificial diets, but natural is still needed.

I am still cycling my Ocellaris tank to be .

Slowly, slowly.
Old 10/06/2006, 03:01 PM
Moved On

I miss-spoke. My 4 month old fish were raised with Oto as the only dry food they received. They got the usually recommended rotifers with phytoplankton, NHBS, then weaned onto the Oto A, then B1, then B2. They are not yet on C , although I just sold 20 of them, bigger than an inch.
Old 10/06/2006, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Something amazing happened and I donīt know if I can give Otohime all or part of the credit
It never happens,but this time I had both my S and L rots crashing just when a nice batch of ocellaris had just hatched.Options of killing the larvae or let them starve were not acceptable
So I gave them 48hrs enriched bs and Otohime A.
The fish are fine,even if I canīt believe it!
Old 10/06/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

I typically have them eating oto A a few days before they are ready for brine shrimp. I wish Oto made a smaller feed, I keep saying I'm gonna order some Zeigler but can't seem to get around to it.
Old 10/07/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Great news Luis ! you da miracle man !

I'm going to have to break out my mortar and pestle when I get the oto.

It looks like both the ocellaris and banggais tanks will be ready early november, the amphipods are now nicely started in all the brood stock tanks, wish I could find some other kinds, but its a start.
Old 10/07/2006, 12:25 PM
Moved On

Why amphipods?