Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2006, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g
Luis, to which feed are you comparing Otoheim?
Zeigler feeds.Larval AP100 vs B1 and Olympic (plus b-glucan and asthax.)vs C1.
Old 07/16/2006, 05:17 PM
Moved On

Thanks!
Old 08/27/2006, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Time for un update
Even if the test will go on until market size,results at 66 days old are clearly showing that Otohime fed fish grow much faster than fish fed the control diet.
But colour is poor,particularly the reds in tomatos.This matches the findings of a Japanese breeder who solved the problem adding CE to the diet.
But Ed had different results regarding colour
Old 08/27/2006, 07:06 PM
Moved On

Very nice picture! We know who ate what! Edgar does say that he feeds CE exclusively the last two weeks to color them up.
Old 08/27/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

There's no doubt in my mind the difference in both colour and size when comparing the two.
Two weeks before delivery I feed Frozen CE, but I'm tracking down some astaxanthin to supplement my homemade feed. Might save me some money.
Old 08/28/2006, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Not to distract the thread but this is sort of on topic 3 weeks ago I took 25 ocellaris to a lfs. They do NOT feed CE, I think they mostly feed Spectrum but I'll have to double check. Anyway I had taken them 25 of the biggest from a certain hatch. Then yesterday I took 25 more, again the largest from that same hatch. They still have 6/8 from last time. The owner and I were both stunned, the new fish I took are twice the size of the ones that have been at the store, which were the largest when I pulled them. Worse yet, they had faded to almost yellow while the new ones I brought are nearly red. I begged him to get CE at least for store use even if they don't want to sell it.
Old 08/28/2006, 02:39 PM
Moved On

So what did you feed them the last 3 weeks?
Old 08/28/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

HI all

I just discovered that i can obtain otohime in australia (always thought it was unavaliable) but it is $60 for 2kg for B1-C2 and $80/kg for the A.

I currently use a mix of INVE aquaculture granular feeds, a mix of my own very high in astaxanthin, and recently added some Cyclopeeze (freeze dried, i assume this is what CE is?).

Is the general concensus that this otohime stuff is really worth it? is it that different? INVE makes some very top of the line rotifer enrichments, hatch controllers for bacteri ain artemia cultures etc, so i asusm eit couldnt possibly be that far behind.

Does anyone have any good surgestions on what a good m ix might be? i could also try an experiment if people want this foods to be compared? What size otohime should i get considering for the price of the A i think i will stick with what i have but for juvs which one should i use on clowns?

THanks

Christian
Old 08/28/2006, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

May i also surgest in line with the excelent work that luis has done, perhaps we could all organise ourselves as a group to try a variety of feeds in a controlled experiment to see if we can produce a larger quantitiy of meaninful data?

Is this an idea all of us would be keen on?

Christian
Old 08/28/2006, 05:21 PM
Moved On

I am using A for two weeks over lapping live food on the early end, and B1 on the late end. Bi until the end of the first month then B2 until they are big enough for C1 and cyclopeeze freeze dried throughout to give them a nicer color. I am going to try the frozen cyclopeeze for the last week or two to see if I get a color boost.

How does one use Naturose? It is such a fine powder, that I am afraid it will not get eaten.

Also, does it go bad with time? Someone who used to be a breeder gave me some that is years old, and I am afraid to try it.
Old 08/28/2006, 05:21 PM
Moved On

I am using A for two weeks over lapping live food on the early end, and B1 on the late end. Bi until the end of the first month then B2 until they are big enough for C1 and cyclopeeze freeze dried throughout to give them a nicer color. I am going to try the frozen cyclopeeze for the last week or two to see if I get a color boost.

How does one use Naturose? It is such a fine powder, that I am afraid it will not get eaten.

Also, does it go bad with time? Someone who used to be a breeder gave me some that is years old, and I am afraid to try it.
Old 08/29/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

You don't really need to color the fish up during the first months before selling them, a few weeks before selling you can start on cyclopeeze or whatever you use, they will color up.

I don't see any diff with frozen or dry cyclo besides price.

You are supposed to mix the naturose with the food but I doubt it will stick to it and it will wash away in the water, I think otohime will have to incorporate it in the mix, Ziegler in the other hand is prepared with the color enhancer by them and the food is kind of moist it looks like it has some kind of "oil" or something.

I think for the home breeder using cyclo or any other color enhancing food is better, prepared commecial foods should be left for hatcheries raising thousands of fish and will benefit from such diets hence the size of the packages.

If you want to add it to the brood stock diet it will work, but feeding juvies this is very expensive.

Ed
Old 08/30/2006, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

I find Naturose cheap,cause a 1lb bag will run a looong way!
It should be stored in the freezer where it lasts several years.
It must be mixed in prepared foods,like gelatin based,or else top dressed on commercial feeds.
Old 08/30/2006, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
It's all right here

http://www.reed-mariculture.com/otohime/details.asp

I'll consult with the manufacturer, maybe they can create a mix more suited for color.
Now you certainly can
Though I doubt they will modify their formula intended for food fish
But it is a simple matter to have them,or you,or us to topdress the finished product with Naturose.
Old 08/30/2006, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Now you certainly can
But it is a simple matter to have them,or you,or us to top-dress the finished product with Naturose.
And a top-dressed Otohime will be simpler and cheaper than supplementing with CE!.
I once ran an experiment feeding non top-dressed Zeigler food vs lyophilized CE.Growth was much better with Zeigler.Colour was bad,but it was improved with two weeks of CE.
Old 08/30/2006, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

And if you recall the beginning of the thread,another experiment was ran:attempting to raise Lysmata amboinensis exclusively on Otohime B1,as crazy as it sounds.
Well,I can report that unbelievably,larvae lived and grew up to Zoea 5,which was reached at 14š day.Then they marked time bouncing in that stage.Last died at 23 days.
Food was taken and could be seen in the digestive tract.
This is surprising and I donīt think it was done before.This shows that they take the food and they thrive on it.
They died at last,I know,but they also die with other diets
Old 08/31/2006, 06:43 AM
Moved On

so no bbs or rots, just B1????
Old 08/31/2006, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Now you certainly can
But it is a simple matter to have them,or you,or us to topdress the finished product with Naturose.
What's with the roll eyes?

1/100 of a run would settle all your (MO breeders) needs for a year I'm not asking them to change the entire line, but rather, to create another "MO" feed in limitted quanitities. Almost every fish food manufacturerer I know of, will do a custom run.
Old 08/31/2006, 12:51 PM
Moved On

I just bought a supply of Otohime, but I will do it again if I can buy Otohime with astaxanthine!

When, oh please, when?
Old 08/31/2006, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
What's with the roll eyes?

1/100 of a run would settle all your (MO breeders) needs for a year I'm not asking them to change the entire line, but rather, to create another "MO" feed in limitted quanitities. Almost every fish food manufacturerer I know of, will do a custom run.
expressing doubt,concern.Meaning something else for you
I might be wrong but I donīt think they make custom runs but custom top dressing ...
Old 09/05/2006, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
so no bbs or rots, just B1????
Yup,isnīt that unexpected?.
Iīm now raising L.amboinensis and L.b.......(pepper)on B1 and bbs.
Topdressing your food is a piece of cake,Kathy,I can teach you
(well actually way easier than cooking a piece of cake)
Old 09/05/2006, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Topdressing your food is a piece of cake,Kathy,I can teach you
Teach me too ? I have no clue what you talking about.
Old 09/05/2006, 03:48 PM
Moved On

Luis, your students await!
Old 09/05/2006, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Luis, your students await!
Wow,this class is getting popular!.But see that the subject is TOP-DRESS,not top-less!
Top-dressing is the process feed makers use to incorporate new ingredients after the pellets or crumbles were finished.They usually spray the ingredients with special equipment and then use a sealing agent to fix it to the feed particle.
The method I am going to give you is very simple and you can do it in your kitchen.
So here it goes (drums beat please)

RECIPE FOR HOME TOP DRESSING
Ingredients:
The feed you want to have top-dressed.
The stuff you want to top-dress on your feed,letīsay NatuRose.
Fish oil.Soy oil,or any oil could work if you canīt find fish oil.I use squid oil,high in HUFA and tasty (to the fish ).But the recipe says "fish oil".

A-put the desired amount of feed in a bowl.Say 300 grams (about 10 oz).
B-add 1% (3 grams)of NatuRose.Strain it if it is not perfectly powdery.
C-mix well.
D-while stirring,add 2% (6ml) of oil.
E-keep mixing.Ready.

Wasnīt it simple? .Hope big corps wonīt go after me for revealing top secrets!
Old 09/05/2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Luis
Glad someone was taking notes.