Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/21/2006, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

collecting in hawaii

done anyone know where i can find laws about collecting coral or other inverts in hawaii. I am going in july and i would really like to be able to bring something back for my tank if its legal. also i would like to know about bringing back shells and rocks off the beach (not live rock but the stuff that washes up). any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04/22/2006, 04:33 AM
Registered Member

I know collecting fish for aquariums is illegal without a liscense $50), and I think taking the coral that washes up on the beach is as well, but I've never seen anyone from DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources) around very much.
Old 04/22/2006, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

do you have any links to any offical sites that talk about that?
Old 04/23/2006, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

try this http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/fish_regs/index.htm
Old 04/24/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

it seems that sand and coral rubble is ok to take

The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes. HRS §171-58.5, §205A-44. Im still waitin on a responce form DLNR about whether or not soft corals can be harvested. Hard corals are out of the question, but what i read was very unclear about soft corals. Im hoping they respond quickly because im really anxious to know. Ill let everyone know what i find out. Thanks for the link. I really appreciate the help.
Old 04/24/2006, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

the beach is Ulua/Mokapu. Is anyone familar with the area?
Old 04/24/2006, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Location: O'ahu Hawai'i (Originally from Sierra Vista..and Iowa)
I am being stationed to Hawaii in July, I also have e-mailed the DLNR, never received a response. I did however get a reply from Charles Delbeek from the Waikiki Aquarium. He did not go into specifics, but he indicated that all coral and "Live Rock"collection is prohibited.

Ed
Old 04/25/2006, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

still waiting on a responce. I might call tomorrow.
Old 04/25/2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I've got a friend that volunteers at the waikiki aquarium. she doesn't know much about equipment, but says the water for the aquarium is pumped in from the ocean, filtered, pumped into aquariums, pumped out, filtered again, then returned to the ocean. the aquariums basically complete water changes every 45 minutes.
Old 04/25/2006, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piranhaking
still waiting on a responce. I might call tomorrow.
Please let us know what they say.

Ed
Old 04/27/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

so far still no response
Old 04/30/2006, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

I am a wholesaler/collector in Hawaii and I have some bad news. taking any live rock (any rock with something alive on it, including seaweed) is illegal.

we don't have very nice coral here but that is illegal also.

You can't even have coral in a home aquarium. The only places that can have it is if you are a university, or if you are the Waikiki aquarium.
Old 05/04/2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

i got a reply finally, but no answer yet. There are some details we have to discuss first. Ill let you all know the final outcome.
Old 05/04/2006, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

where are you going to be in Hawaii?
Old 05/07/2006, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pactrop
where are you going to be in Hawaii?
I am going to be on Oahu. I have hear so many conflicting stories. Some say you can collect as DLNR personnel are far and few between and you would never get caught. Others say "everyone does it". But in the end it is illegal and I am guessing the punishment sever if you do get caught collecting it or if you get ought with it in your home??

Ed
Old 05/07/2006, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it is Illegal. and Yes people collect for their home. but not too many people have live coral. they just want rocks for their tank.

If you do get caught taking coral off the islands the penalty is extremely severe. I kinda remember a couple guys got caught a few years ago and the fine was in the six figures.
Old 05/07/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I'll be at ulua beach. Still no reply so far, i hope he gets back with me soon.
Old 05/08/2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

actually it isnt illegal to collect fish but you arent aloud to colect coral of live rock or anything but fish. your not even aloud to have the special equipment to have coral on the islands.

belive me i go there all the time and a friend of mine is a marine biologist there and told me all this.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/licenses.htm #7

" it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not." :van zant
Old 05/08/2006, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
actually it isnt illegal to collect fish but you arent aloud to colect coral of live rock or anything but fish. your not even aloud to have the special equipment to have coral on the islands.
actually you are somewhat right. you can collect fish.

by law you are allowed to collect five fish per day.

but the question is.
Quote:
anyone know where i can find laws about collecting coral or other inverts in hawaii.
In the Hawaii fishing regulations, which you can get a copy by writing to
Division of Aquatic Resources
Dept. of land and natural resources
Kalanimoku BLD
1151 Punchbowl ST. room 330
Honolulu HI 96813

page 9: Coral and LIVE ROCK

stony coral : Unlawful to take, break, or damage, with any implement, any stony coral from waters of the state, including any reef or mushroom coral. Unlawful to sell or offer for sale any stony coral.

LIVE ROCK: Unlawful to take, break, or damage, with any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life is visibly attached.

There are no rules about owning equipment.
Old 05/08/2006, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Yamaha racer I looked at the link you provided and found this

Quote:
7) Aquarium Permit - required for any person to use fine mesh net for collecting aquatic life for an aquarium. Report required if commercial. No fee. HRS §188-31.
Old 05/08/2006, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pactrop

LIVE ROCK: Unlawful to take, break, or damage, with any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life is visibly attached.
Any rules for placing lace rock in the water to "seed" it. Does it then become live rock and then become illegal to take back out? Seem like that "visibly attached" phrase could be a little loop hole if you just wanted decent live rock for a fish only tank.

Ed
Old 05/08/2006, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Great question. It is illegal to do that also. Here comes the good part. There are special permits you can get but the MAC certified rock but it isnt cheap. I can have it shipped to you for about $6 per lb landed for a 45 lb box.
But that still leaves our friend piranhaking with no chance of going diving in Hawaii and seeing a nice rock and saying to himself. "I would love to have that in my aquarium" and then actually taking it. he will still have to buy it. that just isnt the same.

Last edited by pactrop; 05/08/2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05/09/2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Regardless of Hawaii law, federal law makes it illegal to transport stoney corals harvested in US waters over state lines. They don't play around with this. If a federal agent catches you, you better open your check book.
Old 05/14/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

So I assume you can't pick up the coral that washes up on the beach either?
Old 05/14/2006, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

pactrop do you have a store in HI?