Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 01/17/2006, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Well Matt, your tanks definitely looked nice in the pic I saw. I may look into Ozone too, but later on down the road.

Thanks Nicole, I think I read about that "two-skimmer plan" in Anthony's book, but had forgotten about it. This is why I started this thread! I'll have to look into this gravity fed skimmer thing, sounds interesting, and if I plumb it with that in mind, I should be able to make it work. One of the skimmers I was looking at comes with what would be a great return pump for the sump too.

I can pick up some skimmers real cheap right now, the hardware and pumps are great, but it's a short, stubby thing. I had considered saving some money and buying some extruded acrylic tube and making them about twice as tall. I can get two of these for about $60 (marketing guys rated them for 150g). Any thoughts on my money saving ways when I should be spending more for the best equipment

Old 01/17/2006, 08:25 PM
the cow flys at dawn

Is my reasoning correct that the longer I make the coil, the faster the water could travel through it?

dont even try to build a denitrifier until you KNOW how it works, cause that reasoning is wrong....

Anyone consider a deep sand bed bucket
not really going to enough for a breeding setup, might be fine for a reef though, all you need is a properly sized coil denitrator.

and dont jump too fast on airline tubing it makes a poor selection of tubing for a coil denitrator.
Old 01/17/2006, 09:31 PM
Moved On

So, dear rsman, what is a good tubing? How much length for a 100 gallon system?
Thanks in advance.
Kathy
Old 01/17/2006, 09:50 PM
1 clown short of a circus

We've been discussing denitrifiers in our local club forum as well:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...49#post6524949

rsman, do you have or know of any other articles/information/threads that we could use to learn how to DIY a coil for our systems?
Old 01/17/2006, 09:56 PM
1 clown short of a circus

I remember these two:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=nitrate+coil

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=nitrate+coil

I don't remember if JHardman ever posted about how his worked?
Old 01/17/2006, 09:59 PM
the cow flys at dawn

there are a few floating around in here, some in r.a.m.r (old news group search around ... google)

the best source of info is going to be older '70s era waste water papers they are FULL of cool things like formulas and scientific talk.
Old 01/17/2006, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

OK rsman, I've done a fair amount of reading, and defintely think the coil is the way to go. I also understand why my statement about longer tube=faster water sounded so insane. A better way to say what i meant was that a very short coil, would have to have insanely slow flow to be effective, but if it was longer, it could be effective with a slightly higher flow...after all my reading today, it's kind of a moot point.

I found some of the waste water documents that had great (albeit above my head for the most part) info. You don't happen to still have a copy of that spreadsheet you built do you??

It's starting to make sense, or better, I have the basic principles grasped. I like the fact that you'll always correct someone if they are wrong, so I offer my services here

All the calculations for pressure and resistance for a specific diameter/coil size/length combination make sense. Building one using the proper calculations for diameter and length to give me the proper ratio of flow to surface area in anoxic zones would yeild positive results, so how did you make your guestimate for a starting point that would handle your system? I'm guessing you calculated one to function properly wide open, and deduced the proper hose length for a diameter that was readily available to you?

So, NOW how far off track am I Possibly farther than I was before, I've only scratched the surface, but want to know if I understand the basics properly.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:15 AM
the cow flys at dawn

I found some of the waste water documents that had great (albeit above my head for the most part) info.
any chance you found them online at a free location, id like to have reference, I had gone to the local Univ to search the library many years ago...

You don't happen to still have a copy of that spreadsheet you built do you??
donno, not at work thats for sure, and while I am on RC having lots of fun, I am at work and am supposed to be getting ready for an insane weekend (hopefully)

I like the fact that you'll always correct someone if they are wrong, its nicer when I am correcting them and I am right

All the calculations for pressure and resistance for a specific diameter/coil size/length combination make sense I am glad they do to you, they always seem to give me a headache ....

so how did you make your guestimate for a starting point that would handle your system? very badly build it so you can increase the number of coils if you are thinking you will ever expand your setup. this way when you underbuild you can correct for it.

I'm guessing you calculated one to function properly wide open, and deduced the proper hose length for a diameter that was readily available to you? this is how you should start. instead my first was a mistake and I did what everyone else here has and used stupid material, and set it up all wrong. then i was corrected.

one thing you have to do is ignore the current level of nitrate, its the amount of water and rise of nitrate over a period of time that needs to be in the calculation. the post cycle output will have nearly 0 nitrates, and the input numbers have no effect on this. its only how much of the volume do you process in a period of time, and how it compares to the nitrate rise over the same time period.
Old 01/18/2006, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

rsman,

What should be used instead of airline tubing. One of the threads that I read earlier, (sometime ago now) talked about using RO tubing.

Steve
Old 01/18/2006, 02:52 AM
the cow flys at dawn

icemaker like tubing is fine, RO tubing is fine, it should not be easily squished, that black irrigation tubing works great.
Old 01/18/2006, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

Good! That means I am least grasping the basics. I was thinking about that black irrigation tubing as I read your post about tubing. It's rigid enough, and cheaper that the ice-maker/RO stuff.

The description of Nitrate rise per gallons of system water makes a lot of the info make sense. I was trying to reach a conclusion based on a guessed Nitrate reading. Expandable would be the key, thanks!

The info I found was "sort-of" online. I still have a membership to the Dallas Public Library system even though I haven't lived there in over a year. They did a big electronic documentation initiative several years back, andf much of the best stuff was there. I did find some good stuff via google, and have them bookmarked from work. I'll try to get them compiled into a list today, but we have big-wigs coming in, and I'm slated for meetings most of the day.

I think I will try a coil on my display, which has a known Nitrate rise (2-3ppm per week) and by the time I get ready to start up the entire grow out system, I should have some idea how effective it is. It'll be a few more paychecks before I can get everything purchased for the growout
Old 01/18/2006, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

I personally don't think denitrators or denitrifiers are necesary, water changes are enough to keep it at safe levels. Keeping the tank clean , siphoning etc. will remove potential nitratres.

Stay away for super efficient skimmers or oversized units.

A good trickle filter will do.

Ed
Old 01/18/2006, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Interesting Ed, with the amount of food I will be adding to the growout system (eventually 12-16 10g's full of babies) I assumed "more was better". I had been thinking about upgrading the sump with a bigger container, maybe 50 gallons or so and adding a deeper sand bed, maybe that with a decent skimmer would do the job.

The denitrifying coil is more of a pet project, I love things that are effective, yet simple (in design, not theory). I really just want to see if I can make it work.

I hope my trickle filter will be "good". I plan to work on it some more tonight, it's 4 ft. tall with a diameter of 2". It will be full of bio-balls with a simple 1/4" water feed at the top, it will drain out the bottom back into the sump.

While we're on that subject, I have some old bio-balls from my Magnum, and bought some cheap "pond filter" balls from Home Depot. After that, I found a HUGE box of regular bio-balls at my work. After asking around, I found that we use them as moisture collectors (they collect and drip water from the top of an Oxygen Scrubber on our Hydrogen Flouride furnace). We buy them 1000 at a time for less than a penny a peice! Is there an advantage/disadvantage to the standard blue and white bio balls we are all used to as they relate to a trickle filter?
Old 01/18/2006, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Just get a skimmer for 160-200 gallons, remenber more skimmers are designed for reef tanks that require a very low nutrient water. If you want to really improve it, think about adding ozone to Grow out. The big ones, with powerful pumps do more harm than good , trust me.

try to contact the supplier of the "bio balls" and ask them what material are they made of.

Your trickle filter seems small, if you plan on having an average of 200 fish in 10 gal. you will need more, otherwise you will be having ammonia and nitrite readings even after months. For a system like that I recomend about 10 gallons of bio balls maybe more with the heavy feedings.

I have a good friend who uses this ( see pic) old school aquarists may recognize it. It has a great bio load capacity. I use that along with sand filters.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Images/100/88330386.jpg

Ed
Old 01/18/2006, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Ed, Ok what is that?

Jason, Where are you getting the black irigation tubing cheaper than the RO tubing. I looked at Lowes last time I was in the US, Princeton, NJ, and the "RO" type tubing (poly... something or other) was 7c plf whilst the black irigation tubing was 8c plf. Not that 1c difference is tht great.

Steve
Old 01/18/2006, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

I always trust you Ed! When I've spent a few years under Bill Addison's wing, I might try to disagree with you, but for now, I just listen carefully And as always, thanks for the advice! I aslo second Steve in asking exactly what that filter pad roll is, I looked around the site that the pic belonged to, and can't locate it in a roll.

Steve, I could swear that Home Depot had the pricing in the opposite order, but I could be wrong.
Old 01/19/2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

LOL I knew you would not know,

In the early years of reef keeping ( called mini reefs) that is what we used for biological filtration, bio balls or skimmer only tanks came during the 90's, 10 years later.

The DLS ( Double Layer Spiral) has more surface area than bio balls, you will need less space/smaller filter. I got mine from that site 6 months ago , give them a call if interested.

Ed
Old 01/19/2006, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

You gotta love Ed, always poking fun at the newbies. See how he sets us up for failure, and then laughs at us...

Ed, I talked to the manufacturer of the bio-balls, he said they supply the aquarium trade too, and that the ones we used at work were the exact same plastic, just clear/white instead of blue. He claims they are ran from the same sets of molds, and the functionality would be exactly the same. I will try to see if I can get them to order an extra box, and let me pay for it. I believe we get them from HighTech Furnace Corp.
Old 01/20/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I would jump in here and let you know you have another RC pilot/ Clown breeder on the site...

I fly Glow Sport, scale, and 3D
Old 01/20/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

So you go from crash to crash?

J/k

I use to race RC cars, love them but can't afford them...
Old 01/20/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Only plane I have lost was due to another pilot that left his radio on...
Old 01/20/2006, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Funny, I really am going to start a thread called Breeders who Fly RC so we can all share pics and hangar contents!

I hear you Ed, on the money thing, I'm going to sell my Heli (that I was just bragging about) to pay for a return pump and get some tanks drilled Anyone want a cheap Shogun II w/ Brushless motor and 3 cell lipoly, RTF - PM me!
Old 01/20/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

I always wanted to get into RC flight but never knew where to begin. Any resource suggestions?
Old 01/20/2006, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Ok,

Looks like it is time to come clean. I used to fly RC Glow too. Do not do it any more because of the time that is needed and travel commitments of work.

Steve
Old 01/20/2006, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

I suggest getting ahold of a flight simulator before you buy a plane. RealFlight G3 is a great one.