Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2005, 11:47 AM
Fish Yenta

Sure, Julie, just call me and we'll set something up. I'm also on the tank tour on the 19th if you are going to go on that. I really think you wanted to check on your pistols, though

Either almost all of the gobies settled out and I can't find them, or I have about 4 babies left. There are some new dead bodies, but not in the kind of numbers that would suggest I had huge losses. So I don't know where they are or where their fate is right now.
Old 11/09/2005, 09:35 PM
Fish Yenta

The gruesome countdown continues.

As of this evening, I believe I have 3 babies left, and one appears to be dying. He's laying on the bottom and not moving unless disturbed by a brine shrimp, so unless they go through a period of stillness during metamorphosis...

The other two (could be one... could be five) seem robust and healthy for now, but have not metamorphosized yet. I let the water grow quite clear today so I could take a good look before feeding this evening, and I do see many bodies. If there are other live ones left, I strongly doubt there are more than five of them.

I can't see anything out of the ordinary that would indicate a cause of death. Parameters are stable and healthy, rotifers are brown and well fed, and aeration is gentle but abundant. Scratch that, I don't know what "ordinary" is for these babies.

Keep your fingers crossed for Lucky #1 and Lucky #2.
Old 11/09/2005, 10:12 PM
TRC Leader

Aww, so sorry to hear of the recent losses.

I am keeping the two heathy ones and the little straggler in my thoughts.

You are doing a great job Nicole!
Old 11/09/2005, 10:58 PM
Fish Yenta

It is very hard to watch them die and not know why.
Old 11/09/2005, 11:53 PM
TRC Leader

I couldn't imagine how hard it must be for you to see them die off little by little. More so knowing just how much work (and very much groundbreaking) you are putting into this.
Old 11/10/2005, 12:59 AM
Fish Yenta

Well, Lucky #3 is still alive and looking a bit more energetic than he did earlier. Maybe they DO have a still period during metamorphosis, like clowns. Trying not to get my hopes up, though. He seems quite a bit smaller than Lucky #1 and #3.

I don't know if I'm really groundbreaking. At least two other hobby breeders have raised them plus Pro-Aquatix. I think the ground has been broken, but now it's a mine field

Another ReefKeeping mag has come and gone, and no YWG article from Alan and Amy yet. Maybe December's issue. Granted there will probably be no grand epiphanies from the article, but a general cohesive overview would be helpful, I think. I hope.
Old 11/10/2005, 01:50 AM
TRC Leader

Done before yes, but I still say groundbreaking because of the way you are documenting this. Minefields get deactivated because of work like you are doing IMHO.
Old 11/10/2005, 02:06 AM
Fish Yenta

I hope someone finds the information of use and puts it to use, although I'd much rather be writing a success story!

They are such awesome fish, totally reef safe with no special needs and content in the confines of our aquariums -- they are an ideal candidate for captive breeding, IMO.
Old 11/10/2005, 02:16 AM
Premium Member

NicoleC,

I am too sorry for you loss, and although things might feel as if you have failed right now, in actual fact you have not. To have managed to get them this far is a great accomplishment.

I know that in othe threads I have said that you and others that have managed to get so far have done so under extremly difficult circumstances that you achievments are actually monumentous.

Just stop and think for a minute, you have accomplished with a *VERY* small slice of the ocean, what mother nature accomplishes with the oceans and even then she is lucky to get maybe 5-12 through to this stage.

You are doing great, I too am going to be able to use what you have documented here, and try to get things so far.

Good luck with Luckys 1,2,3.

I know that I am routing for your success in this.

Steve
Old 11/10/2005, 11:16 PM
Fish Yenta

Alas, the Three Lucky's are nowhere to be seen

I will leave the tank up and running for a couple more days and watch for signs of them, but I am not optimistic. Then, I will siphon out the tank and go through the water bit by bit (to be sure they aren't still alive), and feed the brine shrimp to my display.

My broodstock went off schedule last month and laid a week early, and hatched 2 1/2 days early (that group of preemies did not make it to day 2). So I don't know when the next nest is due. Hopefully this last batch was a fluke and not related to cutting back on their food, and they will get back on their monthly schedule in time for Thanksgiving babies.

I'm going to go eat some Ben & Jerry's now...
Old 11/10/2005, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

awww,I'm so sorry This really stinks..Hopefully you will have a new brood for the holidays.
Old 11/11/2005, 12:39 AM
Moved On

We were routing for you, and I am sorry too that it didn't work out. Thanksgiving is another day, and I hope you will continue to post on your progress. This thread has been a great read, and I have learned a lot.
Old 11/11/2005, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Oh no,

I am so sorry to hear. You will eventually raise baby watchmans, I am sure of it. Noone cares and puts as much dedication in your livestock than you Nicole. I mean that!!!
Old 11/11/2005, 01:11 AM
Fish Yenta

Thanks, guys. I will try again. I am glad I have a bit of a break, even if I do have to keep up with the rotifer cultures.

On the other hand, I have also learned that wherever I got the information that brine shrimp were hard to raise, they were smoking crack. I never knew their tails were irridescent green. Also, the males really DO turn bright red when they are horny. It's the damnedest thing.

No babies, but I still have sea monkeys
Old 11/11/2005, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Nicole, you have inspired me to try my hand at captive breeding. My LFS has some Jawfish that I REALLY like and I may take a swing at getting a mated pair. My first job though will be trying to master the rotifers. I have an old 10gal tank that should do the trick. By the way, would you mind posting a pick of the parents and their aquairium? I'd like to see the flower pot set up you use for them to lay eggs in.

Strong work by the way and I'm sorry for your losses. I have a sneaking suspiscion though that you'll be making money from your efforts in a very short time. Good luck with future hatches!!

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 11/11/2005, 01:45 AM
Fish Yenta

Ugh, I hope so. I never thought I would get rich off fish, but I'm probably at least $750 in the hole, and that doesn't include the broodstock tank and maintenance nor electricity. Maybe more; I haven't wanted to add it up, but with tax time coming, I will have to find out the real figure soon.

Making money would be great, breaking even would be fine... losing less money would be acceptable!

I don't have any pictures of the whole tank. It's not very photogenic, so it wouldn't be a prime subject But I will try to take some tomorrow or over the weekend.

Good luck with the jawfish. Save the 10g for larvae and raise your rotifers in insulated buckets.
Old 11/11/2005, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I should have said, "getting back SOME of your money" instead of, "making money".

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 11/11/2005, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Nicole,

My thoughts go along with all the others. Sorry to hear that they never made it through. I hope that thanksgiving brings you more opportunities and am looking forward to the next thread.

It has been a great roller coaster ride to follow the story, learn new ideas and hear your thoughts. Good luck with the next batch.

Steve
Old 11/16/2005, 10:01 PM
Fish Yenta

As promised, here is a pic of the whole tank. I'm still recovering from a massive hair algae forest that turned out to be fed by a rusty pump impeller... but the gobies never cared either way.

Here the pair:

And here's the shy male who doesn't get in front of the camera often:
Old 11/17/2005, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

These are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 11/17/2005, 08:19 AM
Moved On

those are great shots of the gobies! I am also impressed with the large flat rock!

Cheers,
Kathy
Old 11/17/2005, 09:42 AM
Fish Yenta

I can't believe I got that rock second hand. It's crazy that it's so long and flat!

I forgot to point out a couple of things. The rock leaning up against the glass on the right side is the main wall of the den. The pistols stay behind it most of the time. The gobies know I can see them there, but they can't seen to convince the pistols, who think they are perfectly hidden! There's an entrance on both sides of the rock, a semi-covered highway behind that tall mound of sand, and lately I've even seen the pistols on top of the rock. It's pretty new for mama to get up there, too. That mound of sand also hide a rock that's supporting the other end of the shelf rock.

They usually lay eggs in the tall flowerpot on the right in the back -- you can barely see it behind the male. They have also laid eggs in the front and center pot, and, once, hanging from the long shelf rock in the back corner.
Old 11/17/2005, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Nicole Sorry to hear none of your hatchlings made it. Better luck next time. You made a very good effort!
Old 11/17/2005, 11:04 PM
TRC Leader

Great pictures Nicole!

Are they territorial when there are eggs about? My YWG is about as passive and easily frighten as it gets. Was wondering if that all changed when there was a mate or nest near by.

So sorry for the loss
Old 11/18/2005, 12:27 AM
Fish Yenta

In the reef tank after I paired them, they became astonishingly aggressive! You'd hardly believe they were gobies. Mama would even threaten the clowns, and no snail was safe from either of them close by their den. I used to laugh to watch one goby at the front door grab a snail and take it out back and spit it out. Then the goby at the back door would grab the snail and take it out front.

I drew the line after the 3rd or 4th time I saw mama grab the scooter in her mouth (long ways) and shove her across the tank. So they got their own tank, and the aggression mostly went away although they would still puff up at me. After I added the pistols, both really calmed down and settled in, and only rarely does mama "show off" for me now.