Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 05/14/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

the fish in hawaii are 1000x more beautiful than the corals.....man i would love to go catch a couplke awesome specimens and bring em home!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 05/14/2006, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

I don't have a "store" but I do sell fish to the public. If you are in Hawaii give me a call and you can stop by and see my facility and pick up some fish.

And to reply to an earlier post. No you can't take the coral that washes up on the beach. There are some technicalities that let you get some dead coral but in Hawaii you will be hard pressed to find a person that didn't look down on you for taking live coral.

Like the EAGLES said, the fish here are 100X better looking than our corals and the corals that we do have are pretty scarce.

Pretty much all the reef tanks I have seen on RC have fairy tale reef setups. you will never see anything like that here.
Old 05/14/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

the dead coral that washes up is what i was refering to, and yes, you can take it. I got that straight from the dlnr site.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/libra...l_liverock.htm

The taking of sand, coral rubble or other marine deposits is permitted in certain circumstances. The material may not exceed one gallon per person per day, and may be taken only for personal, noncommercial purposes

Last edited by piranhaking; 05/14/2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05/14/2006, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

The coral they are refering to that can be taken is only from above the high tide water line and that leaves pretty much just sand. By all means help yourself to the bucket of sand.

Pirahnaking are you in Hawaii?
Old 05/22/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I have a friend who has collected large peices of completely dead and rock on the shore in Maui. He just put about 100lbs into two plastic bins and checked them as luggage on his way home. No one said a thing. The pieces are really uniqe and very porous. It was added to his tank and then became live.
If any of you catch those sweet fish with a net, let me know how as I would love to collect some fish... I hope you can swim fast!
I go to Maui every year and plan to bring some dead dry rock back next fall.
Old 06/05/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I was just on Oahu and wanted to get some fish there. I found GREAT prices at the one fish store I was able to visit, but was unable to find licensed collectors in the yellow pages. I ended up not getting any because our flight left before the store opened last Monday.

You need to also check your airline regarding whether you can carry aquatic cargo...United was ok with it. Some are apparently jerks. Everything goes through the agricultural scanners and the baggage check scanners so they will most likely know if you try to smuggle anything. And deservedly, given the problems that irresponsible people cause the environment, the fine is a suggested $100,000. I suggest a store receipt be handy when you go to leave.
Old 06/06/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

im not there, im going soon though.
Old 06/11/2006, 11:02 AM
Moved On

Hawaii?

Quote:
better looking than our corals and the corals that we do have are pretty scarce.
No Corals in Hawaii? Not a good place to dive for reefs?? lol I cannot believe someplace as remote as Hawaii doesnt have dive sites with great corals and fish. I find that truly hard to believe. I found a few coral sites in the Carribean, how is it that Hawaii doesn't? Unless I am mistaking that statement, for particularly Oahu. I have heard that some of the smaller island have amazing dive sites, even Kauai.

Just my two cents.
David
Old 06/11/2006, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

yea that was taken the wrong way. We do have beautiful corals here and they are everywhere.

Look at a nice coral tank like

www.oregonreef.com
www.moyesreef.com/home.php

you would be hard pressed to see something like that in real life.
Old 06/11/2006, 06:17 PM
Moved On

Talking lmao

In the words of Napoleon Dynamite "well Duh....GAWD"

David
Old 06/11/2006, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Well your the one that didn't understand it. so in the words of Napoleon Dynamite "sweet".
Old 06/11/2006, 07:46 PM
Moved On

haha

No, your just under the impression I have never dove or seen an actual reef, lol. Sadly, Steve Weast's tank is not South Pacific specific in his coral selections. He has some Carribean collected Staghorn in his tank. I don't think anyone who dives, would assume to find Heniochus Butterfly on the same dive as Atlantic tangs, and so forth. They all come from differing parts of the ocean. Thus, I understand fully well, just don't assume your audience is unaware, as we all know what "Assume," truly means. So in the same vein; "Rico, Grandma just called and wants you leave, as your ruining everyone's life."

cheers
David
Old 06/11/2006, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

calm down and go watch your fish.

I think you might be going a little overboard here. my post stated "Pretty much all the reef tanks I have seen on RC have fairy tale reef setups. you will never see anything like that here."

I think that covers your whole last post fairly well. and I am not assuming my audience is unaware as you say. It might actually be that you are assuming I am unaware. So take it easy and stop getting so critical. I believe everyone but you understood what I was saying.
Old 06/12/2006, 08:54 AM
Moved On

Talking

Quote:
calm down and go watch your fish.
ok there CHEIF! I'm really p1zed off lol.

cheers
David
Old 06/22/2006, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

The only corals found in Hawaii are cauliflower coral and mostly red or pink. On Oahu there isn't a dive spot that really makes you go "what was incredible" or "so many nice corals and colors".. Maui or molakai is the place to go for reefs. Kuaui is nice to. Oahu really is terrible for coral. there are some beautiful fish though. So Pactrop is right in saying you will never find a nice reef. Go to tonga, fiji, or somewhere over in that area if you like corals
Old 12/17/2006, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

I just moved away from Hawaii afer being there nine years. I started with an octopus tank, and then switched to a reef tank.

You can collect inverts and fish with a permit (5 a day with a few extra limits on game animals). No live coral and no live rock, BUT if you go to the beach early after a storm or big surf you'll find plenty of recently deceased rock washed up on the shore. Go wearing pants so it's obvious you haven't gone in the water to collect.

There is also a couple pet stores that sell zoas and leather corals. Many ebayers will also ship to Hawaii. Keep in mind importing is illegal. But I have heard that if you get a rose BTA off ebay for $40 and it grows and splits, you can usually sell the new ones for $100 each. At least that's the rumer.

If you decide to go out and collect your own live rock leave your hammer and chisel at home. There are some areas when the tide goes out it seems everything is covered in mud, go out and shake the mud off some of the rock you see on the mud flat. It will have amazing colors and tons of life. Keep in mind this is still illegal and you will get your a$$ handed to you if caught. But at least this will minimize your impact on the reefs.

You can also collect some macro to eat, which means you can replant it at home for a refugium.

As far as exporting- don't bother. Taking stuff onto a plane is illegal, you might not get caught- but your risks aren't worth the reward in my book. If you build a healthy reef tank and network a little you'll be able to sell everything for more than you'll pay to replace it in the mainland.

PS I know this thread is old. I was just doing a search for Hawaii threads with hopes of learning how to get a pair of pistol shrimps like the ones I had in Hawaii.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VirginiaDiver
I
As far as exporting- don't bother. Taking stuff onto a plane is illegal, you might not get caught- but your risks aren't worth the reward in my book. If you build a healthy reef tank and network a little you'll be able to sell everything for more than you'll pay to replace it in the mainland.
Just to clarify fish are ok and legal to bring on the plane as a checked luggage providing the fish are not on the restricted list
Old 12/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

I was interested in this as I will be going to Kauai in February to visit my grandparents. I sent an email to DLNR and this is what I got:

If you are using a small meshed (less than 2 inches mesh) hand net of less than three feet, including the handle, to collect the aquarium fish, and the fish are not collected for sale, no permit is required. A hand net larger than three feet, will require an aquarium permit. 1) what will you be using to collect the animals (what kind of gear)? 2) Are the animals to be collected for sale?

You should check with the equivalent of the Division of Aquatic Resources in your home state to see if they have restrictions on importing animals. There may be an alien species concern. You should also check with the airlines for their shipping requirements. Live animals for export are usually not a problem as long as they are not illegal.

You may not collect or transport any animals that are unlawful to take in Hawaii. Transporting illegal animals across state lines is a federal and state offense. The regulations can be found at www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar. Click the regulations button. Let me know if you have any questions.

Alton Miyasaka
Biologist
Division of Aquatic Resources
Department of Land and Natural Resources
State of Hawaii
Old 12/28/2006, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

what are some fish you arent allowed to collect/bring home with you?
Old 12/28/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquariumist
what are some fish you arent allowed to collect/bring home with you?

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/fish_regs/marfish.htm

Aholehole: Kuhlia sandvicensis, K. xenura
‘Ama‘ama (striped mullet): Mugil cephalus
Awa: Chanos chanos
Kala: Naso unicornis, N. brevirostris, N. annulatus
Kumu: Parupeneus porphyreus
Manini: Acanthurus triostegus sandvicensis
Moano: Parupeneus. multifasciatus
Moi: Polydactylus sexfilis
‘O‘io: Albula glossodonta
‘Opelu kala: Naso hexacanthus
Uhu: Scarus dubius, S. psittacus, S. rubroviolaceus, Chlorurus sordidus, C. perspicillatus
Ulua and papio: Caranx ignobilis, C. lugubris, C. melampygus, C. sexfasciatus
Carangoides equula, C. ferdau, C. orthogrammus
Weke and oama: Mulloidicthys flavolineatus
Old 02/12/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Hmm. So, If i understand this right, you can't (legally) have a true reef tank in your house if you live in the state of Hawaii?
Old 02/12/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

pactrop
How much do Dragon Morays and bonnetheads cost ?
Old 02/16/2007, 03:18 PM
Geek

Don't forget that if you break the law Pele will smite you.