Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 01/08/2008, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Cool Lighting/What softie first???

Hi everybody,

2 things

1. I am adding a 240w t-5 system to my tank (65 gal =/-) is it going to be enough to kepp softies

2. Which softie, polyp, or schroom would be the best for a newbie

Thanks,

Adam
Old 01/09/2008, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

240W T5 (8x54W?) is plenty for even some of the SPS. I have that over a 120 and it's fine. No problems there.

I would try green star polyps, mushrooms (pretty much any...), toadstool or spaghetti leather (except perhaps the Fiji yellow toadstool), and zoathids or palys as my "first tier". Of these, the mushrooms would like the least light and current; the leathers like high light and moderate to high current; and the others would be comfortable anywhere in that range.

My "second tier" would include things like xenia (very hit/miss -- some can't grow them, some can't kill them), kenya tree (likewise), yellow toadstool (needs more light/flow than other leathers), and perhaps some of the hardier LPS such as galaxea, frogspawn, anchor/hammer, etc.

Before adding any corals, make sure you can maintain your water parameters nice and stable for a few weeks. It's worth the time to get things good and solid from the get-go. Also, you'll see lots of advice regarding supplementation (iodine, strontium, "favorite mix o' the day"...). My mantra, and it's served me well, is "don't add anything you don't test for". Get good solid test kits (FasTest, Salifert, etc) and use them. Then supplement with something like a good two-part calcium-alkalinity solution, and establish a good (15-20% every other week) water change regimen using RO/DI water and high-quality salt.

Have fun,
Dan
Old 01/09/2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation

Thanks Dan,

However one quetion in your reply you showed a 8x54w (432 totalW) light on a 120gal but the one I will have is a 6x39 (234 TotalW) is that still OK for my 65gal for LPS and SPS. Also, all my parameters are in the suggested range as follows

Ph 8.2/.3
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Trates 0
Kh 11-12
Sal 1.024

only one off is calcium hovering around 300 but no additives just yet since no corals but I do plan to add a reagent before I buy to get me in that 400 to 450 range.

Again Thanks For all Replys,

Adam
Old 01/10/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Adam, I did a mental dyslexia (420 <> 240). Anyways, 6x39 should be fine on your 65 with softies and LPS.

I recommend getting all of your parameters nice and stable, and optimal, before adding any corals. So, dose now, test, and keep 'em in range. Your alkalinity is on the higher side, it may drop a bit as you increase calcium.

Dan