Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 09/11/2007, 07:08 AM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

What the heck is a walleye? JK, but I sure don't know how they taste....yankee fish I hear!

Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way, But kind of like airinhere is saying, Spearfishermen (and women) have taken a beating lately from the general conservative public. We are taking action and attending public hearings about the fisheries management, to be sure no one take away our RIGHT to do this type of fishing.

When the uneducated public reads post like these, they form a biased and uninformed opinion about spearing fish.

Again, glad you are all open minded.

Gotta go to work....Baby needs new salt( oops.) I mean shoes.
Old 09/11/2007, 09:18 AM
Master Scuba Certified

No problem.... If there were no fishermen or spearmen...then how would Red Lobster feed us that great flounder???

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 09/11/2007, 04:23 PM
Slowly growing gills.

The trick to dealing with this sort of issue is not to argue facts. Both sides are not only very well versed in scores of data, but often times the data is absolutely correct. The real problem is interpreting the data. Since very few people get the opportunity to see the data in an unbiased method, the data is likely to point to one obvious solution or another. Usually the obvious solution the researcher or study group is already supporting. Facts dont lie, but they can mislead.

Instead, I try to focus on the real issue at hand.

Is someone diigently trying to convince me that they are correct about something and that I should take action about it?

If so, I try to get the information that caused them to form their opinion. Usually it is what someone else told them. (Not usually accurate information in the first place.) I like to think of myself as a pretty intelligent person (most people see themselves this way also.) I have the right to make up my own mind about something. (Just like everyone else.) And I can choose to do something about a situation or not because I feel inclined to do so. (Not because someone else told me to.)

All it takes for this to work is the ability to allow other people to come to decisions that are not the same as my own and be content to let them feel that way about a topic. All I ask in return is that those same people allow me the freedom to feel however I do about a topic so long as I do not go outside the laws set up by our society.

It sounds so easy, but is hard for many people to do.
Old 09/11/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I dont think that spearfishing or any sort of collecting should be legal with the use of scuba equipment. If people had to actually dive down and use some sort of skill there would be alot less people doing it and those that did would be the more responsible sort I belive....
Old 09/11/2007, 06:47 PM
10 & Over Club

It's not really about the equipment used so much as it's about the attitude. Even using SCUBA doesn't make you an efficient killing machine. It's more about taking what your going to use and not just killing everything in sight in order rack up the catch numbers. From the perspective of a conservationist (not environmentalist) and fisheries biology, it's good to let the small ones grow up big enough to spawn at least once before catching them, and leave the big lunkers behind in order to leave the good strong big fish genes in the gene pool

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 09/11/2007, 06:54 PM
Master Scuba Certified

^^^^I agree totally with Bill......

Icy.... you certainly have a right to feel that way and believe that way.
One question I guess I would ask you is have you ever done SCUBA or been SCUBA diving???

I will tell you that you have to go through a lot of training to get Certified...You also have to get a fishing license and in some States you pay a premium for a stamp to spear fish.... I will also say that It isn't easy to spear fish and it does take a lot of practice and may be some skill...at least as much as holding a riffle and shooting game at a distance....

It isn't nearly as easy as you may think...in fact I think it is easier to sit on a bass boat and use a pole with spinners or live bait... I have done both....I still don't do all that well with the spear!!!

Old 09/11/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Im have my padi master diver certification... I did try spearfishing while scuba diving but it isnt anything similar to doing it with just a snorkel. Personally I do spearfish but only with my long fins and my lungs
Old 09/11/2007, 11:12 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Well, icy.....

I will treat you to a free trip to spearfish my waters. The catch is that it's 120' deep here with a current that can run up to 2-3 kts. at times.

Oh and the other catch is I'm not going to come find you when you surface 2 miles away.

MY point is very few divers can freedive this area safely, my bet is you don't freedive to these depths....maybe so, but it's just my initial guess.

Anyways, Nice to see some agreement on RC. Part of the reason for my hiatus was this alone.

not another put another dollar in diver here. NAUI diver here

Oh, and another thing icy.....isn't freediving more quiet than tank diving so in essence "cheating" more than a scuba diver?

When I freedive, I am much more efficient in my killing spree. "never heard me coming" is what I could say......I freedive as well, but only in the keys, bahamas and the Carribean sea.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:15 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Reelfreak... I would take you up on the free trip to do some spearing at 120...but I would have no problems spearing with my SCUBA gear on!!! I would give the critters all the bubbles and noise just to warn them I am coming!!!! Then we could share some pan fried FISH and chips!!!

Old 09/12/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

No, I dont free dive to 120, so far my limit is about 60' if I want to stay down there for long enough to actually hunt something and just for fun I got down to about 80' before. And yes you are quieter when you free dive but you also have alot less chance to make the shot since you cant stalk the animals around all day long... at 60' I only have about 45 seconds before I have to head up so in my opinion it takes alot more skill... Now at 120' I can see why you would be using SCUBA gear, but then again the snorkeling thing is just my opinion and I know it will never really get anything done with it so I dont really hold anything against people who do.
Old 09/12/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

wow Im glad Ive created awarness. Learning is what this is all about
Old 09/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Master Scuba Certified

You got that right redox!!!!

Old 09/12/2007, 07:27 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Anyone heading to this part of the Atlantic sometime, should give me a heads up.

I'll either help show you some great diving, or send you in the right direction!

Nice that we are all able to see a little bit of each others views. Been a while since I've been to RC, thinks it's time I come back a little more often again.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:19 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Sounds great!!! I will give a shout when I head that way later this year!!!

Old 09/13/2007, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

all this talk is making me edgy to dive. I gotta get some in before the season draws to an end. I think ill do some of the lesser known wrecks to see what the tuorist have left behind . I hope they left me something to look at I might even come home with dinner.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:46 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Man.... I wish I was closer... I'd go with you!!!!

Old 09/13/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossini
I hope they get there leg torn off by a shark.
no we hunt sharks with ppd's.

It disgusts me about some of these comments on this thread. Do any of you eat fish at all? Or do any of you eat any kind of meat or use a meat by product?

Extremists in all sides do more damage to their causes than anything else.

Did you even consider that the spearfishermen and H&L guys do more to protect the resources than most of the "protection groups"?

Who got the national park service started? Hunters
Who work to get fish protected with season and limits? Fisherman
Who work to kick the Gill netters out for florida? CCA

ans where are the people who some of you hold in such high regard for their views on protecting the critters?? Standing on the side line doing nothing and complaining.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:52 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Quote:
Originally posted by Von_Rahvin
no we hunt sharks with ppd's.

It disgusts me about some of these comments on this thread. Do any of you eat fish at all? Or do any of you eat any kind of meat or use a meat by product?
Ahhhhh.... Yeah..... I also fish, spearfish, hunt, and eat all I catch and kill!!! The thread started because a couple spear fishermen gave the impression that they were out to kill everything in sight...

Old 09/13/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

not just the impression. These guys just dont care. I eat fish,beef,pork,deer,what ever. i just dont feel that taking more than you or your family will eat is right. If its freezer burnt it would be doing alot better if it was just left in the wild