Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2006, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Pukani VS Marshall Island Live rock

I'm trying to decide which one of these 2 rocks are the nicest looking for the top off of my reef. I will be upgrading my 225 to a 550 in a few more weeks and want to get the rock in so it can have time to cure before the switch. Any opinions out there??
Old 02/10/2006, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I love my M.I. rocks, but I got to pick it out myself. Hope you get to pick out the pieces yourself! Have you check out the Indo. rocks from reefscience?-awesome!!! If I ever get a new tank, I would give them a try.
Old 02/10/2006, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I will have to order the rock, wished I could hand pick it my self. If I go with M.I. I will get it from PremiumAquatics, I'm sure Jeremy will do a great job and hand pick me some nice pieces.
Old 02/10/2006, 09:18 PM
Reef Slave

Pukani is awsome rock! I have 100% of it in my tank.
Old 02/10/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

jsbzmcdaniel,

Thanks I was looking for a good reply on the Pukani, I have never seen it in person, just a few pics. Have you got any pics of it in your tank?
Old 02/11/2006, 12:10 AM
Reef Slave

I will get some for you tomorrow....
Old 02/11/2006, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Okay Thanks! If you want you can post them or send them to me:

znut@g-net.net
Old 02/11/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Pukani Rocks.. Very Porus and looks awesome... I have about 250lbs in my 224 and couldnt be happier...

James
Old 02/11/2006, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

are they lighter than MI?
Old 02/11/2006, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Giving a Bump^

Anyone, please post some pics of your Pukani rock. I have some ordered with a very reputable sponsor here on RC. However, they are having a difficult time getting it in from Fiji right now. I have Marshall in my other tanks, but wanted something different this time around.

Bubbaphish
Old 02/11/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Yeah pics would be nice. I'm also trying to order it and it seems they don't know when it will be in yet. They say it goes very fast! So it must be awesome rock.
Old 02/11/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

here is a link to a bunch of pictures of pukani that I got.. This was 3x 88lb boxes..

http://illusion.aquariaphile.com/gal...iverock?page=1

James
Old 02/11/2006, 08:03 PM
Not Really

Nice rock!
Old 02/11/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

I had some pukani before

awesome rock, very pourous and sometimes have large holes in them, they are very light compared to regular rock
Old 02/13/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

My Pukani was Extremely lightweight.. I pulled 1 piece of rock out of the box and it was 25lbs... Now that Doesnt seem like a lot but the rock took up a huge area in my tank... About a 1/3 to be exact... I weighed it because I though It was going to be a lot more than it was... Out of the 3 boxes that I got there must have been 1 or 2 rocks that were in the 20lb range... I wanted all large size rock (didnt request was just hoping) and Most of the rock I got was in the large size... My 25lb rock barely fit thru the opening on my 224g tank...

here is a picture of all the larger Size pieces laid out waiting to aquascape my tank

http://illusion.aquariaphile.com/alb...2272.sized.jpg

well all that was sitting there in the picture was placed into the tank IT filled it quite nicely.. Actually too much

http://illusion.aquariaphile.com/alb...2288.sized.jpg

I was very impressed with the rock and I highly recommend It... Out of the 3 cases I only used about 200lbs or so for a nice aquascape in my tank... No regrets with my purchase..

James
Old 02/13/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Illusion,

It all looks great! I'm looking forward to getting 2 to 3 boxes of the Pukani. A dealer is trying to see when the next shipment of it is coming in. Your pics really helped alot, and also to know you are very pleased with the purchase. I will be using it for the top of a 550 reef. I have alot of fiji,indo, and some tonga rock now so the pukani should hopefully top it off. I'm glad I don't have to buy all new rock for that beast of a tank! I will post what I think when I get mine in. Hopefully that will be soon, was there a lot of die off on the Pukani?

Thanks so much for your pics and comments, I'm sure I'll be as pleased as you are. Got fingers crossed. lol...
Old 02/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

My rock was the last that they had in the Warehouse so I would imagine it was quite old... There was a lot of Die Off on it.. Its also deepwater rock so it was filled with a lot of sponge... I cured it for about 2 weeks and dropped it into the tank... I had 200mg of Ozone and a large Dual beckett skimmer that Was on the 100g rubbermaid tub it was curing in so that probably helped... If you can get a nice Fresh shipment you will probably be even more Estatic about the rock as there was many dead SPS on my rock when I got it that looked like they would have been pretty nice... It was a bummer that they didnt make it...

James
Old 02/13/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Yes mine should be fresh when I get it since it's coming in soon I hope. Thats a shame that all the sps didn't make it on yours. I'll let you know if any survive on mine. I will also have to cure it before I can use it. But maybe I can save some of the corals if they are still alive. You never know you may have some to come back on yours.
Old 02/14/2006, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

I doubt mine will Every come back... The coral that was on there was completely white and dead... If the rock might have been a bit fresher There probably would have maybe been a bit of life still on it but thats alright.. I wasnt Expecting anything Except Rock and I am completely happy with it... I went thru a bit of an Algae stage but I finally kicked that and the Coralline is coming back now.. Another Few months and my tank should be looking awesome again... The Algae would not have come If I would have cured it a bit longer... I was still pulling off dead sponge in the tank and I am sure thats what created the Algae... I was just being impatient and wanted the rock in my tank as soon as possible since the whole process was just rebuilding my rock work due to a coral that spawned and completely covered my old rock...

James
Old 02/14/2006, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

That rock looks awesome. What vendors carries this Pukani Rock? I just ordered 30lbs of Deep Water Tonga from Doctor Foster and Smith to go into my 280 and would sure love to add some of this.
Old 02/14/2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Fragfarmers.com and Reefermadness.us both carry it... I am sure just about any Store that Deals with Walt smith can get it though...

James