Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation are my zoos doomed?

upon putting a few zoanthid frags in my tank, i noticed that after a few days they stopped opening fully. They have progressed to the point that they barely open at all and one of the frags doesn't open at all. That particular one is now browning with what looks like the fungus ive seen in other threads. My newest zoos look to be headed in the same direction as the two frags. They just got to the phase where they aren't opening fully.

What can I do!! FW dip? big water change? cry?

All the other corals seem business as usual. They are in a NCDX, with a fuge in chamber 2, LR and floss in 1, and a heater in 3 with a MJ900. I'll post pics later tonight.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

What are you water parameters? Did you do a coral dip before putting them in the tank... Pics would be the best, the brown fungus looking thing could be a few things, most likely it is brown algae. How long have they been in the tank.

Dream
Old 11/14/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

the zoos in this image and the next have been in my tank about 3-4 weeks

this is the newest one at about 2 weeks
Old 11/14/2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InADream
What are you water parameters? Did you do a coral dip before putting them in the tank... Pics would be the best, the brown fungus looking thing could be a few things, most likely it is brown algae. How long have they been in the tank.

Dream
nitrates are at 5
ammonia 0
i'll have to test alk and pH to get a current reading. They were very constant as of my last test on sunday. All teh other corals seem ok. I found one of those stars, but it wasn't on my zoos. I removed it anyway, but I think disease is the cause from what i've read. will a FW dip help? and no, i did not dip them.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Your water parameters look ok the nitrates should be zero but there not bad, what about your nitrites... If all parameters are good then you could move on to a dip... I like to use tropic marine pro coral cure... Read the instructions carefully... Also one thing that works very effectively is to remove the zoo from the water and examine them very closely (always wear safety goggles) there could be things irritating them that you are just not seeing... If all that is ok then try the TMPCC dip, or you could look up Lugols...

Dream
Old 11/14/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

thanks , ill remove them tomorrow morning and check for any parasites, then i'll head off to the LFS to get some meds.