Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/30/2006, 02:33 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Gallandro
Ye 4' ;-) get one and find out for myself ? I was looking for a bit of guidence so I dont waste money. I guesed on a smaller one. Ill get one slightly bigger than the numbers say, I can always turn it down. thanks.
The reason I suggested you find out for yourself is because I have zero experience with that particular pump. GPH sounded about right to me.

Just keep the extra pump as a backup in your closet, ready to pull out when you need it.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

great thanks. Just seemed a bit small of a pump to me., but then I usually buy a lot bigger ones. thanks for the clarification. Though I was going mad :-)
Old 03/30/2006, 02:44 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
I understand the need for an extra pump, but $250 to sit in the closet is a bit harsh. I'll have to save up for that and just hope in the mean time.

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 03/30/2006, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

It is bust image loosing all your livestock not being able to get a pump for a couple of days. Costs a lot more. $1000's I would guess.
Old 03/30/2006, 02:48 PM
TRC Leader

Keith, I agree about the cost in the closet. I bought my Sequence Dart at MACNA as it was a special price ($175), and had to add it to my luggage. Still, if my return pump were to fail and I had to get a new one that day, you can bet I'd pay $225 or more depending where I could get it. I'd prefer to save the extra money by being prepared and have the insurance.
Old 03/30/2006, 03:08 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Ok, Ok, I know you guys are right. I'll start saving today.

Right now it is about trying to get the system setup.

Oh, and the remodel of my house done.

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 03/30/2006, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

I took your advice and bought a backup pump just before I moved my tank into my new house. Well, I was going to get it running before I had a screen for the intake by putting a H.O.B carbon filter pad over the intake, thinking it would be held on by the suction. A few minutes later, the power flickered and the pump stuttered enough to let the filter pad fall off and my little giant pump sucked my Dragon goby into the pump and shattered the ceramic impeller shaft. Luckily, I was able to use the backup pump as the ceramic shaft took over a week to arrive.
Old 03/30/2006, 06:01 PM
RainbowAcro

If you are on a budget, you can get a cheaper back-up pump for an emergency. Just makesure the other type of pump can be connected to your plumbing and it fits in the sump. I have one back-up Mag 9.5 for all my tanks even though I do not run mags on my tanks. It will attach to my plumbing however in an emergency with a little adapter I made for each tank. It will work until the replacement pump comes in.
Old 03/30/2006, 07:24 PM
Huh?

richfavinger - You'll like Black Diamond it's great quality and comes at a good price. It did fairly well against the other carbons (Forgot where I saw the chart of all the carbons being tested).

I am still at a loss of what to think about Purigen. I have heard many good things and nothing necessarily bad but wonder if it is really worth the cost when compared to carbon. I don't need it so I personally wouldn't get it (carbon does everything I need it to) but it still perks my interest.
Old 03/30/2006, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

I know I'm just still a lowly newbie here, but I ust wanted to add my experience with Purigen pads. I've been using one on my previous sumpless 29g system, and my new setup as well. It seems to work well on my system to iliminate any smell/color and the like. I just have it in an Aquaclear HOB filter along with some phosban and Black Diamond carbon. After about 3 weeks, it gets a light tan color, and that means it's time to recharge it in bleach, then a soak in RO/DI and Prime, and voila, a new pad.

I was wondering why one would think it would remove particulate matter from the water. From what I understood, it just soaks up DOCs and such, similar to carbon. Or am I using it in totally the wrong way that it was intended for?
Old 03/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Huh?

heh any second now Marc will begin to think he's wondered into the SeaChem forum....
Old 03/31/2006, 12:00 AM
TRC Leader

Not a problem. This thread is always open to most any reef-related discussion.

Carry on.
Old 03/31/2006, 02:17 AM
Huh?

What are your thoughts on Purigen, Marc? I know you to be of a more natural methode person but with the trying of Prodibio could it be that your curiosity may even cross into other filtration products?
Old 03/31/2006, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

did this split again?!
Old 03/31/2006, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Marc, are you planning on running vortech pumps when they come out on your tank? Sorry if this has already been discussed, didnt have the patience or time to read through the first half! I believe you have tested them? What are they like compared to streams? Obviously smaller, but is the performance better?

Im hoping they make 240V coz am considering getting some when I upgrade. They LOOK pretty awesome at least!
Old 03/31/2006, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Marc, for some strange reason the travel channel had several back to back shows about Texas and to my surprise none of them mentioned Melev's Reef, even the ones that mentioned Ft. Worth. I couldn't believe, I figured that would for sure be on my hot spot lists to visit in Texas. Maybe I'm just weird...
Old 03/31/2006, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rottface4
Maybe I'm just weird...
I would say you hit the nail on the head with that statement !

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 03/31/2006, 01:42 PM
Say Cheese!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chImerAnz
Im hoping they make 240V coz am considering getting some when I upgrade. They LOOK pretty awesome at least!
they work on 240 right out of the box, they have transformer built in, you just need get an adapter for the plug

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 04/01/2006, 12:06 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Electrobes
What are your thoughts on Purigen, Marc? I know you to be of a more natural methode person but with the trying of Prodibio could it be that your curiosity may even cross into other filtration products?
You may have missed this post one page back: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...70#post7075470

Old 04/01/2006, 12:10 AM
TRC Leader

Shane - yep, about a week ago.

chImerAnz - I'm still running the Beta model of the VorTech on my tank. I've thought about getting one more to put on the back wall. I'm very pleased with it, after having it running for the past 2.5 months. By comparison, I find that the intake screen doesn't clog up much at all compared to the Tunze that must be cleaned every two months or suffer significant loss of flow. The VorTech can move as much flow as the Tunze 6100, but it doesn't ramp up and down like the Tunze because it doesn't have a controller yet.

rottface - It is one of Texas' secret reefs - few know about it. But word is spreading.
Old 04/01/2006, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
rottface - It is one of Texas' secret reefs - few know about it. But word is spreading.
I'm not so sure about that. Just for kicks I went to Google images and typed in REEF TANK, and your tank is the first one listed.
Old 04/01/2006, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shane 1111 @ 03/31/2006 06:36 AM
did this split again?!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnL @ 03/25/2006 12:23 PM
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...96#post7038196
Old 04/01/2006, 12:59 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftankjunkie
I'm not so sure about that. Just for kicks I went to Google images and typed in REEF TANK, and your tank is the first one listed.
I didn't know that. Neat.
Old 04/01/2006, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftankjunkie
No kidding I did the Google search, and there it is, amazing!

Mark, if you don't mind,Could you post the measurements of your American DJ's (LxWxH)? I'm planning my 90g re-setup and can´t seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks.

"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight."
-- Phyllis Diller
Old 04/01/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Marc, I happened to be browsing your thread and Noticed that I can answer agarza's question, I hope you don't mind.
Agarza, on Ebay a seller's specifications says "Dimensions: 19" x 2" x 5", although those may not be exact.
Matt