Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 03/26/2006, 02:36 AM
TRC Leader

Here's a picture of a puddle of A. millepora from April 05.

January 06:

And from March 06, same coral:
Old 03/26/2006, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Wow, in 11 months even with the PO4 issues you had a few months ago.

Very Nice
Old 03/26/2006, 03:08 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, this coral has been through it all. Here's an interesting comparison for you to consider - those of you that love Clown Gobies.

Jan 05

March 06

Now you see why I wasn't upset when Fang was evicted.
Old 03/26/2006, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
My new salt is literally on its way to my door as I type this. Our club did a group buy for OceanPure, by TAAM in California. The person that was supposed to receive the shipment went to work, so the truck is rerouted to my door. It won't be convenient to the club members, but it sure makes my life easy.
how does Ocean pure salt compare to instant ocean or reef crystals?

It is "cleaner"?
Old 03/26/2006, 01:07 PM
TRC Leader

I can't answer that yet. I did receive the order last night around midnight, and opened up a box. The bags are relatively unmarked, but they each have a Lot # on them, which is good. The recent Kent Sea Salt debacle (dangerously low alkalinity of < 1.0 dKH) has made me more aware of the need for some type of lot numbers, so bad products can be recalled effectively.

Konadog and Loserkidz both use OceanPure, so you might talk to them to see what they think of it. I'm going to try it out, especially since the price was right.
Old 03/27/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

I was always hesistant about getting a clown goby. They seem almost ideal for a smaller tank like mine. I'm sure glad I withheld from getting one.

Do you think with products like Prodibo (and Zeo, even though you aren't testing it), you would notice coloring up in Sps, Lps and softie (ie zoas), or do you think the it is more beneficial for one genre over others?
Old 03/27/2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

melev, I had an Arc eyed hawk fish that loved to perch on the pavona and a few other sps. He had killed the new growth and algea was growing in rapid succesion. He Gone! The corals love it! I will try to look for comparison pics.
The guy I sold the fish to? LOL, It's his favorite fish! He only has softies though.
Old 03/27/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Melev,
Any news or plans for your drilled 29....?

Ave imperator! Morituri te salutant!
Old 03/27/2006, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone know how many splits/posts this thread has now?

Chris
Old 03/27/2006, 07:01 PM
Say Cheese!!

If my math is correct, including this post, there are 3086 posts in this thread and it has been split 4 times.
But the first section reached 107 pages (page 107 only has 2 posts) before they split it, otherwise there would be 2 more splits.

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 03/27/2006, 07:05 PM
Say Cheese!!

3087....and I'm really glad I caught this thread the day it started

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 03/27/2006, 09:05 PM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

I know what you mean about being happy fang was evicted. About 3 weeks ago my clown goby turned up missing and all my SPS frags have never looked better.
Old 03/27/2006, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I can't answer that yet. I did receive the order last night around midnight, and opened up a box. The bags are relatively unmarked, but they each have a Lot # on them, which is good. The recent Kent Sea Salt debacle (dangerously low alkalinity of < 1.0 dKH) has made me more aware of the need for some type of lot numbers, so bad products can be recalled effectively.
I'll just keep my eye out for your review later in the thread I'd give it a try, but I still have 3.5 buckets of reef crystals to go through.

Lot numbers are definatly a good thing!
Old 03/28/2006, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Marc

Are you still thinking of building some sort of crazy cylindrical tank for your snowflake? I'd love to follow the progress on that if you ever start it up.

Also, are you ever going to finish the woodwork?
Old 03/28/2006, 06:24 PM
TRC Leader

rottface4 - I don't know. I've seen some amazing tanks that don't use products like Zeo or Prodibio. Look at Weatherson's tank, or JB NY, or Steveweast's setup. All are amazing. I'd like to see what this does, that's all.

fisharefoodtoo - it is still waiting for me to have time to deal with it. Wish I had more hours in the day.

chrisd4221 - I think we are on the 6th split now. When I do the TOC, I'll double check.

danmp18 - I like the concept, but haven't done anything. Currently there are 4 tanks in my house, and to be really honest, I'd prefer to have all of them on the one sump so I don't have to maintain individual systems. The benefit would be less power consumption, and consistency in all tanks parameters-wise.
Old 03/29/2006, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Marc
How was Fang evicted. Was he a jumper or did you remove him yourself, and how. I received two for Christmas from my daughter, now I would like them evicted as well but are very quick.

Rich
Old 03/29/2006, 07:53 AM
TRC Leader

I used some 1" flexible tubing and a 6g bucket. I knew I didn't have a lot of time to mess around considering the bucket would only hold so much before overflowing. Fang was sucked out of the coral in under 40 seconds, and I still had 1/3 of a bucket to go.
Old 03/29/2006, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Marc, I have heard of this method but wasn't sure if I could catch them before the bucket filled up. I will give it ago when I do the next water change. I am hoping that once they are gone my acro's will have better PE.

Rich

PS -beautiful tank.
Old 03/29/2006, 10:23 AM
Huh?

Marc - have you ever put your ear to the tank? I am cuious in knowing how loud some tanks are
Old 03/29/2006, 10:24 AM
Huh?

Whoa.. what happened to your website????
Old 03/29/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Marc I am a little confused about the clown goby (Fang). Why did you have to remove him? I have two clown gobies and they are great.
Old 03/29/2006, 03:55 PM
TRC Leader

Electrobes - No, I've never listened to the sound of the tank from under the surface of the water. I just checked and my site is online. Must have been a temporary glitch.

Airman - Clown Gobies tend to bite at polyps, making the coral close up. Fang used to live in the one coral and come out to eat and destroy other SPS, within a day or two. After I lost enough of them, he was evicted.
Old 03/29/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Sucking him out with tube .. lol .. great, done it by accident before, never thought of it as a tactic . :-0
Old 03/29/2006, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Just been on your site, as I have bit the bullet and began to make my Sump, for my nano. and read this "After a two month recovery period from emergency surgery" you or the member ?
Old 03/29/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I don't have any SPS corals yet but I will kept an eye on the clowns when I put some hard corals in my tank.