Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2005, 10:35 AM
Political Inactivist

'Pod Watchin'

My tank has just finished cycling and is completely "empty" of life as far as my wife is concerned, but I must confess I really enjoy sitting up at night watching pods scurry around the LR, in and out of caves...

their behavior (the 'pods) is amusing and addictive to watch... it was interesting to watch them "meet" at a cave entrance...

i'm not sure what kind they are, but my suspicion (Based on pictures) is isopods... maybe gammarid...

anybody else enjoy it?

note: apologies if this thread is inappropriate for this forum... delete as is your wont...
Old 10/24/2005, 10:53 AM
Moved On

WHy is this in the wrong forum? I love watching my bugs too! I had a sudden explosion of them recently (I don't now why). I used to only see them at night, now I see them all the time. It's pretty cool.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:56 AM
Political Inactivist

i was told to get a flashlight and "red" screen and view w/ the lights out to really see what's what...
Old 10/24/2005, 10:58 AM
Moved On

I've heard that too. I just use a regular flashlight... but I should probably use a red light. Now adays I use the flashlight for so long my star polyps start to come out. lol
Old 10/24/2005, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

This is the forum of discussion of such things.

Here is an article about "pods".

I suspect you are seeing Amphipods, not Isopods, but sometimes tanks have both.

Enjoy your observations and if you have any specific questions, post 'em and I will try to answer them.
Old 10/24/2005, 01:33 PM
Political Inactivist

Dr. Shimek,

Glad I'm in the right spot to post 'bout these critters... i sure do like watching them...

Anyway, I've read the articles and the beasties (to my untrained eyes) look very similar to figure 2 in the "You can't Tell your..." article, they do have what appears to be (under 192watt 50/50 10k/actinic bulbs) bluish-grey insides...

I'll try to get a picture of them and post tonight...

appreciate the feed back,

Matt (TVI)