Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/24/2006, 10:22 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

Tyler - thanks for clearing up the ozone controller topic. I'll have to put it on my list down the road along with a primo skimmer .

Still will battle the particles in the meantime. It can be tough to get the bags to stay on. Mine have straps that tighten the bag when you pull them. I used to tie these to the PVC plumbing and it worked ok. Now, b/c I have Melev's bubble towers implemented, they're held in place by the towers and the LR rubble.
Old 03/24/2006, 10:23 AM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by bheron
THanksGabriel. I know your point. Usually I wind up working on/in my tank enought that I cause these detritus storms anyway. I just neve thought about making it part of a my cleaning routine. thanks.

ALso, just finished reading, or should I say, attempting to read the article Marc pointed me to. I dont know what it is - maybe Im dumb, impatient or what - but I can never seem to get into these scientific, technical type articles! I feel like Im back in chemistry class, or doing a research paper in college......or reading some of my wife's work she brought home. Im sure its all very accurate, scholarly work, but it just reminds me why I cant read most of the Reefkeeping magazine. I can appreciate the work, time, and industry expertise put into it. Just not for me and just my opinion. :-)
Ooops, I didn't even respond about blowing off the rocks.

You'll be amazed what you can baste out of the rocks... I find it helps get any uneaten food out, keeps the sand from building up in the rocks, etc. And if you throw the filter socks on after you do that it'll clear up pretty quick..

My feathers go nuts when I go this! So much for them to eat.

Tyler
Old 03/24/2006, 10:30 AM

Excellent points! Maybe I'll makeit part of the routine to do a majore dusting periodically, and right when I've rinsed out the bags.

Here's a pic I found of how I secure the bags:

Old 03/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Skimmer gurus - what do you think of this deal?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=801889
Old 03/24/2006, 11:46 PM
TRC Leader

Seems like a lot for that skimmer. I've paid less for used skimmers in the past. $400 and the injector isn't even a beckett. Hmm. I guess if it came with the pump, which I don't seem to see listed....
Old 03/24/2006, 11:47 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Excellent points! Maybe I'll makeit part of the routine to do a majore dusting periodically, and right when I've rinsed out the bags.

Here's a pic I found of how I secure the bags:

Also:
Skimmer gurus - what do you think of this deal?
Hey Bryan,

That sounds like a solid plan. It stirs things up quite a bit, but given a few hours the dust will settle out and all will be good..

I've got some filter bags coming in my latest order from a Canadian mailorder firm. I have stopped using the stockings on my sump drain lately because they're a bit of a pain to put on. But I think the ties on the bags will help.

I'm not a skimmer guru per se, but here's my take on the skimmer. It looks somewhat similar to my skimmer. Ie it's a venturi injected model that's kinda tall. You're probably going to need a pretty big pressure pump like a PCX-55 or PCX-70 for that then; that'll mean 300-400w of power usage for the skimmer.

I would personally aim for a recirculating needlewheel skimmer if you're going big. I've got a beckett and I have to admit the 400w of power was not something I thought of when I got it; even where I am with cheap power I estimate I'm spending $14 cdn per month on power to run the skimmer. OUCH!

Later,
Tyler
Old 03/27/2006, 05:33 PM

Guys - thanks so much on the skimmer feedback. Wont make a purchase w/out checking online here! I didnt get it. Tyler - you say you arent a guru, but your using terms that I dont know! Thanks alot.

To tell you the truth, I've been having so much success lately with my smaller skimmer and filter bags that I'm thrilled with the results the past week or so. And, throw in the low bioload, I think Im gonna hold off on investing a ton on a bigtime skimmer....for now.

PS - a really well known LFS (Thatpetplace.com) is having their annual tent sale this weekend. Not sure how long my bioload will be so low!
Old 03/27/2006, 06:03 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Guys - thanks so much on the skimmer feedback. Wont make a purchase w/out checking online here! I didnt get it. Tyler - you say you arent a guru, but your using terms that I dont know! Thanks alot.

To tell you the truth, I've been having so much success lately with my smaller skimmer and filter bags that I'm thrilled with the results the past week or so. And, throw in the low bioload, I think Im gonna hold off on investing a ton on a bigtime skimmer....for now.

PS - a really well known LFS (Thatpetplace.com) is having their annual tent sale this weekend. Not sure how long my bioload will be so low!
Just trying to help out. I think if things are working for you now you might as well stick with what you've got. No sense spending lots of money on a new skimmer yet if what you've got works.

Don't get me wrong, I think beckett/venturi skimmers are great, but now that I've been reading about the needlewheel and airstone skimmers I'm seeing that I could get similar performance with 1/5 the power use.

Heh, yeah, I usually have to hold myself back when the LFS gets a new shipment in. I keep telling myself I'm going to do this all very slowly so things can stabilize..

Tyler
Old 03/29/2006, 11:45 AM
SV-SEA MEMBER

Hey Bryan,

You tank and refinished basement look awesome! It is extremely appealing. This is exactly what I would love to have one day....an aquarium, a fish room, a beer meister, and tv....perfect! Keep up the good work. I am going to continue to read through your thread.

By the way, I am also from the Phila area. I belong to a club called Schuylkill Valley Salwater Enthusiasts. (www.sv-sea.org) Looks like you are in Valley Forge...we meet in Phoenixeville, once a month. We also have guest speakers and events. People are into everything from FOWLR to full blown reefs. If you are ever interested, just let me know or stop by a meeting sometime. We always meet at the same place on the third Saturday each month. Its always best to look on our site though for changes. We are looking to arrange a group trip to go to "In Living Color" in NJ. I've been there and its well worth it!!!

Keep up the great work on your tank!

Chris
Old 03/29/2006, 04:29 PM

Hey Chris. Thanks so much for the feeback. Also like to add that my PS2 is also in this room! haha.

You know, I know all about the SV-SEA group. Im on the forum here for them and also the actual website from time to time. I also know pretty much where you meet and live only a few mins from there! Also do the same with PARC as well. But for different reasons, some of them with no excuses, Ive never gotten around to any of the meetings!!! Shame on me b/c I know I could both share and benefit tremendously from them. Usually its just tough to get to the meetings when they're scheduled. How many people attend the meetings? I know PARC has a nice turnout. Im bummed I missed the recent speak at SV-SEA (wasnt it A. Calfo?) I was recently on the site and didnt see too much about upcoming meetings? Whats the next plan? Would like to hit the new place in NJ too.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 03/29/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Bryan who post the most on your thread you or Tyler? How soon before your thread splits? How about added to your Bioload and posting some pics?
Old 03/29/2006, 05:45 PM

Airman - w/out Tyler (and Meleve) this thread and my tank would be in serious trouble. I owe them alot!

Youre right - this thing should be splitting soon. I need to talk to the manager!

I do need to post more pics b/c the tank's looking pretty good.

What about the bioload?
Old 03/29/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Bryan how did you set your frogspawn, I have one as well as a xenia, torch and hammer and been debating with my self if they should go on the DSB or on the rocks. It's a 20 gal and have them under T5's so light (I think) is no issue, and they seem happy wherever I place them. So just wondering if a DSB position is good for them or not.

"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight."
-- Phyllis Diller
Old 03/29/2006, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Only 7 post for the split (I guess), by the way the tank looks awesome. I'll be re-starting my 90 gal next July-August and hope to get as nice as yours.

-- Phyllis Diller
Old 03/29/2006, 08:07 PM
TRC Leader

13 posts to go.
Old 03/29/2006, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quite right, must find my calculator. 12 to go.

-- Phyllis Diller
Old 03/29/2006, 11:27 PM

Agarza - I was lucky that my Frogspawn frag came with a pretty long stem and, the place I wanted it, had a perfect hole to insert it. Kinda like putting a carnation in a jacket lapel, it fits perfectly. So, its mounted on the side of a large piece of LR, about 4 inches up from the bottom of the tank, like this:

I think any of the corals would be happy on the rock OR sand. I also dont think they're the type to move around on their own. I have my torch on the sand now b/c it didnt seem to like the high flow (see above pages on the issue). T5 with a 20g should be great for it. If anything, my light it a little too strong for my frog, I beleive, b/c as the day goes on it looks like its more "yellow" than dark greenish. When the lights first come on it has a nicer color.

THanks Agarza for the nice comments.

Yea, I guess its a post count that makes these split. 1000? Can hardly beleive that I started this April 29, 2005.

ALso, by request, here's some updated pics...

• Lights off - a little blurry. You can tell I need alot of practice in these next pics:

• My first three fishes who have been with me since 2004 in my old tank!

• Side view. Im really glad I built this into the wall with one side viewable. And, while I didnt get anything special on the front glass (ie - starfire) I can definitely tell the difference between the look from the side glass vs. the front.

• Bottom up view

• I think I might have too much flow in my tank b/c Im finding it hard to find spots for my soft corals, like this zenia

• You can see this cool cave I have, and to the right is where Ive moved my torch, to lower flow. Seems to be doing a "bit" better.

• Other side view:

• Extreme side view - kinda cool.

(CONTINUED....)
  • __________________
    Bryan
    Old 03/29/2006, 11:33 PM

...CONTINUED FROM ABOVE...

• Front, with lights off

• With lights on

• And finally from the side in the other room as youre coming down the steps

Here's some "whats this" pictures...

Its reall hard to tell, but this is the best angle I could get. There's something stuck onto a Cerith snail. Im pretty sure its an albamone (sp?) or something. Can you see it?

And this one's even tougher. I've been noticing these clear bubbles on my sandbed (have seen two so far). Look for the pinkish blur in the center. Any ideas?

Have no idea what they are but they're no longer there.

And, for anyone who's been wondering, I finally got this guy out!

Stuck a net down there and gave up, but left the net and some food and, eventually, he climbed in there. Came down the next day and pulled it up.

SO he's out now and I put these in to make sure it doesnt happen again!

Got the idea from TGunn - its just a simple knitting grid from a fabric store cut to size. I think it'll work great

Enjoy!
  • __________________
    Bryan
    Old 03/30/2006, 12:11 AM
    SV-SEA MEMBER

Hey Bryan,

The SV-SEA meeting turnout varies. When there is a speaker like we had in October, there were 30+ people. Sometimes it may be small, under 10 people. We meet at a church and upkeep the donated tank for the senior citizens. We also have drawings, give out frags etc. The speaker we had in October was Richard Harker. I can keep you updated if you'd like. Feel free to introduce yourself over at our site. I know I will be following your site...not only for the tank but to see how your rooms transforms around the tank!

Also, I know you are keeping mostly Fish and inverts, but if you ever want some free frags...let me know. I occasionally break them off by accident....

Do you have a refugium that is up and running?? I think I saw it in your diagrams earlier in the posts.....
    Old 03/30/2006, 12:13 AM
    Proud father!

Quote:
    Airman - w/out Tyler (and Meleve) this thread and my tank would be in serious trouble. I owe them alot!

Youre right - this thing should be splitting soon. I need to talk to the manager!

I do need to post more pics b/c the tank's looking pretty good.

What about the bioload?
    Glad to be able to help. After learning so much from all kinds of other setups, I'm glad to be able to pass along some tidbits that end up being useful.

Tyler
    Old 03/30/2006, 12:46 AM
    Registered Member

Hey Bryan,

Nice looking setup, I gotta in-wall too but only face on. 150 gallon but soon to be upgraded to 300 gallon. I really like how you have one end of the tank visible too, wish I'd done the same

I havent read through your whole thread (too big and I dont have the time!) but noticed above you have bags on your sump inlets to try and reduce micro bubbles? I assume you have baffles in your sump to help reduce this? Anyways heres a pic of what I did with the last section of my sump. The typical under over under baffle configuration but I also siliconed in some 'braces' to hold some egg-crate. The egg crate sits as shown then I just sit a stocking fill of carbon on the egg-crate. Works an absolute treat and even helps reduce bubbles.

You can get auto-top-off cheap through Singapore for about US$90 they are 220V but Im sure if enough of you put a request through you could get 110V model? I run this unit on my tank and it works well.

http://www.delightings.com/index.cfm?GPID=14

Cheers
    Old 03/30/2006, 01:06 AM
    Registered Member

Great pictures. I notice in all of the shots of the full tank your fish always on the right side of the tank. Are the scared of the big pile of LR on the left?
    Old 03/30/2006, 09:43 AM
    Premium Member

Great pics, I really like your aquascaping (sp?). Thank you for the answers, my frogspawn also has a long stem and now I know exactly where I'll put it. I placed yesterday all the other corals on the sand bed and seem very happy except for the xenia which gets too much flow, I'll will re-locate it tonight. Thanks again.

3 posts (or so) to go!!

-- Phyllis Diller
    Old 03/30/2006, 05:33 PM

BRISK495
    Quote:
    I can keep you updated if you'd like. Feel free to introduce yourself over at our site. I know I will be following your site...not only for the tank but to see how your rooms transforms around the tank!
    - That would be great to keep me updated and in the loop. When Im ready to attend one of these meetings, it would be great to have someone to help me out with it.

Quote:
    Also, I know you are keeping mostly Fish and inverts, but if you ever want some free frags...let me know. I occasionally break them off by accident....
    - Would be grateful for anything like that. Am going to concentrate on the fish side, but also want to keep things colorful with any corals I can get as frags!

Quote:
    Do you have a refugium that is up and running?? I think I saw it in your diagrams earlier in the posts.....

- I do. Right now I have what I'm calling as a "holiding tank" but whats really turning into a Fuge:

This sucker is plumbed into my system now and housing some LR and that big chunk of chaeto. Eventually I want to use it as a holiding tank for new fish specimens (after QT but before introducing into the display) and for specimens not quite fit for the display (like a fuge). Its barebottomed now.

I also have a special section of my return plumbing ready for an 18g rubbermaid tank that will be for the sole purpose of housing macroalgae as Im a big fan of it. Havent put that in yet.

chImerAnz -

Quote:
    Nice looking setup, I gotta in-wall too but only face on. 150 gallon but soon to be upgraded to 300 gallon. I really like how you have one end of the tank visible too, wish I'd done the same
    - Thanks for the comments. 300 should be awesome, and just big enough. Feel free to stop by and ask questions here as you go

Quote:
    I havent read through your whole thread (too big and I dont have the time!) but noticed above you have bags on your sump inlets to try and reduce micro bubbles? I assume you have baffles in your sump to help reduce this?
    - God catch. Yes, I do have them in there, but really to serve as mechanical filtratrion. I really dont like all the floating debris in my tank and, while I know there are pros and cons, I have to say theyre doign a good job. Just have to be sure to clean themout frequently.

With that said, they DO aid in helping with microbubbles. And I do have a baffle system in place.

Im looking at your picture below - but Im not sure whats goign on there? Looks like the egg crate is on an angle maybe? Can you give some more explanation as Im always looking to reduce microbubbles!

- An ATO for cheap at $90. Man, I think $90 is expensive. WOnder what the expensive ones cost!? Thanks - I'll check into it since I need one.

Airman -
    Quote:
    I notice in all of the shots of the full tank your fish always on the right side of the tank. Are the scared of the big pile of LR on the left?
    - Airman, cool you should notice that. Been waiting for someone to comment. I happened to get all three of these fish around the same time. Got the Clown in April 2004 and the two tangs at the exact same time in Aug 2004. And they were my first three fish. Well, they immediately bonded with each other -- the three of them stay within a few inches at all times. Then they went into a small 20g interim tank. When they went into the current 210 they still do it! The tangs dart off every once in awhile for a quick sprint, but always come back. Also, I always feed them in the same spot on the left. So, whenever they see me they gather in that area. Strange. But.... Im hoping its a good thing when I introduce more livestock into the tank as they'll hpoefully stay on their side.

agarza - thanks!!
    Old 03/30/2006, 05:33 PM
    RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=813565