Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/19/2004, 08:44 AM
Electrical Madman!

also, if you haven't glued the pipes into the bulkheads in the drain, don't. just slip fit them or use threaded bulkheads. if you ever need to take the pipes out, its a nightmare if they are glued.
Old 05/19/2004, 08:46 AM
Proud Father

I wish I had a panel, but my tank is already set-up and I think it might be too tough to change it.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 08:48 AM
Proud Father

I agree, on the bulkheads, I used threaded bulkheads.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Mine are slip fit and I am nowhere near setting up the plumbing. Just in the design phases at the moment. How would a box work if using timers? How much would a box cost with my setup? I like the idea of using the 3/4" as a backup, JR, what do you think of that?

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 05/19/2004, 09:09 AM
Electrical Madman!

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
How would a box work if using timers? How much would a box cost with my setup? I like the idea of using the 3/4" as a backup, JR, what do you think of that?
you still have the outlets like you already show, but instead of being hot constantly, you can kill them with a switch. they sell the american dj pc100's on ebay for less than $20. that would be better than nothing. for the drain, i like having my return inside the tank. my brother in laws' comes up over the back into a spraybar and it's a pain to deal with and doens't look as clean as my setup. i've been running this setup for 2 years without any problems and i ran my last system for 2 years without problems. just have some sort of a strainer on the intake and you won't have anything to worry about. i dont' even run any type of protection on the intake of the durso.
Old 05/19/2004, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Since my overflow is an 'aftermarket' meaning my tank must have been drilled and this overflow put in after the fact. Anyway, the space inside the overflow is very small and I can't find a way to put a durso with the return pipe I am going to use a stockman. Is there anyway to make that one 'more safe'?

Old 05/19/2004, 09:18 AM
Electrical Madman!

never messed with the stockmans.
Old 05/19/2004, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

I've still got the durso I started to make. I will see if I can modify it some to make it fit. Am I right to assume all parts are to be 1 1/4" since my bulkhead is 1"?

Old 05/19/2004, 09:22 AM
Proud Father

The inside of my canopy is 47 1/4".

Mike

BTW, Premium Aquatics has a nice VHO setup for $190 shipped with everything.
Old 05/19/2004, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

JR,

All this talk of lights makes me wonder: Am I going to have enough light to keep any clam or SPS I want? I really don't want any limiting factors is how I am attempting to build this.

Old 05/19/2004, 09:28 AM
Proud Father

Put it this way, I run two 14K hamiltons, which don't have anywhere near the PAR of a XM 10K and I also run 2-96W PC actinics without reflectors.

I have 3- clams, one black and white maxima, 2-blue crocea. I also have Sps, acro mille, staghorn and digitata.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

In other words: yes Glad to hear it.

I'm thinking about ripping out my overflow and installing a new one. Will a razor blade get off all the silicon used in the attachment of this?

Old 05/19/2004, 09:38 AM
Electrical Madman!

yeah, you'll be fine on lighting. i have 2 clams and i'm running 20k's now (changed since you were here last i think)
Old 05/19/2004, 10:17 AM
Proud Father

Yippie....just ordered my VHO's from www.hellolights.com

http://www.hellolights.com/2laaromo4lvb.html

Now just have to wait for a response from Carolina on the Paypal and I will have my XM's on their way.
Old 05/19/2004, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

mike@carolinacorals.com is his address, if that is what you are waiting on.

Old 05/19/2004, 10:34 AM
Electrical Madman!

PM him too. lilbuddy. he's online right now.
Old 05/19/2004, 10:37 AM
Electrical Madman!

ryan, i just noticed you have rc cars in your interests section. what kind, on or off road? i run nitro monster trucks. there's a sweet off road track in huntersville.
Old 05/19/2004, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

JR,

I read in another thread that you mentioned the nipple orientation of the XM bulb. I didn't see a 'nipple', what does it look like?

Old 05/19/2004, 10:39 AM
Electrical Madman!

the lights have to be off to see them. it's on the inner envelope(the part that actually lights up) in the middle of the glass tube, there will be a little nipple that sticks out.
Old 05/19/2004, 10:40 AM
Proud Father

I just ordered my XM's from Carolina.

BTW, www.hellolights.com has just provided me with the BEST customer service I have yet to receive from another vendor.
Old 05/19/2004, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

There's a track in huntersville? I didn't know that. I have several cars. Here's the list:

Losi stadium truck (very old)
HPI RS4 Nitro Racer 2
HPI RS4 Pro 3
HPI RS4 Micro
Kyosho Mini-Z x 2
Hyperdrive Pan Car

I think that is all I have. I want to sell the nitro car and buy a traxxas t maxx or the new revo.

Old 05/19/2004, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

BTW, what kind of nitro truck do you have?

Old 05/19/2004, 11:10 AM
Electrical Madman!

i run the HPI savage. it's fully modified for the track though. the track up here is off road only. here's a pic of it

i run dish wheels on the track though. it's got a Picco .26 motor in it. it definitely screams. the track here usually has a pretty good turn out for 1/10th scale gas stadium trucks. the track is also nitro only. you can run electrics during practice, but not to race. i'm actually thinking of selling my truck to get into the 1/8th scale buggies. i just doubt i'll find someone willing to pay what the truck is worth. it would have to be someone that wants to race.

just don't get a t-maxx.....
Old 05/19/2004, 11:19 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

ok, just caught this thead and wanted to comment on the JG valve mod for the durso. i SWITCHED MINE!! the 90 valve like i had on there DIDN"T WORK!! use a straight valve or what i did (found out htis works by accident) is added a JG male PT x 1/4" tube fitting and added about 1/4" tube to it. DEAD silent!! i can't adjust it but it is silent so i don't care

i think th e90 restricted it too much

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 05/19/2004, 11:32 AM
Club Euroreef

I just finnished setting up my 90 recently check out my web gallery (little red house) for pics.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser