Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2004, 03:18 PM
Proud Father

BTW, where did you get your T5's and why did you decide to go with them over VHO's?
Old 05/18/2004, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Electric130 recommended them saying they are more powerful than VHO. I got them from carolinacorals.com.

Goin against the norm

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 05/18/2004, 03:23 PM
Proud Father

Are you going with the complete retro for like $158? I was planning on VHO but the T5 are cheaper and if they put out more light then I might go that way.

Mike
Old 05/18/2004, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

I got the kit from coralvue that is two T5's at 48" in length and has a spot in the middle of the reflector that houses two MH. For the T5's, the reflector, bulbs and complete dual 250 MH setup with XM10k bulbs and m58 ballasts I paid carolinacorals.com $380.00 That was about $260 for the MH complete and $120 for the T5. If you are interested, tell him I sent ya!

Old 05/18/2004, 03:33 PM
Proud Father

I am interested and may buy today. I want 2-250W XM's and 2-T actinics with the same reflector. So you are not going to use a different reflector for the halides? Interesting...
Old 05/18/2004, 03:33 PM
Electrical Madman!

didn't realize you had a thread. everything looks good. your PM box is full so i couldn't respond. check your "Sent" messages folder and message tracking folder too. here's what i wrote but it rejected it with the full message in regards to the spraybar:

nothing. it just floats there. it doesn't move at all. as long as one end of the siloflex is rigidly mounted, you won't need to mount the other end. pvc might be different though.
Old 05/18/2004, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

LOL, I've never deleted anything from the sent folders. Didn't even know they were there.

Thanks for the compliments! What is siloflex?
Also, which little giant pump are you using?

Old 05/18/2004, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MacnReef
I am interested and may buy today. I want 2-250W XM's and 2-T actinics with the same reflector. So you are not going to use a different reflector for the halides? Interesting...
Go to www.freewebs.com/thrlride
Click on 90 gallon and then lighting. That will show you a picture of the reflector with the T5's. The version pictured is of the smaller version. The 48" version has two sockets.

Old 05/18/2004, 03:40 PM
Proud Father

Electric, is the T5's really brighter than the VHO's, even using the reflector that carolina sells. What about the brightness of the halides when using that reflector instead of using a halide reflector?

Mike

BTW, good to talk to you again!
Old 05/18/2004, 04:41 PM
Electrical Madman!

thrlride,
siloflex is the black plastic pipe that my spraybar is made out of. do a search in the DIY forum for spraybar and you'll see my thread there detailing the construction of the pipe. my return pump is a LG 3-MDQX-SC. the skimmer pump is a MAK4.

MacnReef
T5's put out about the same amount of light as VHO's, but they use half the wattage to do so. a 54w 4ft T5 is roughly equivalent to a 110w 4ft VHO. you can overdrive the T5's on an IC, but it's not really needed. ran on their intended HO ballast that comes with the retros, they will last about 2 years between bulb changes. they perform even better when thy have individual reflectors like the Sunlight Supply kits come with. MH's will have better spread and reflection when used in individual parabolic reflectors like the PFO Optimal.
Old 05/18/2004, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Electric130: so, I should look into getting reflectors for my MH? Will that work with the reflector that the T5's are coming with? BTW, how do I hook up the grounding plug to the ballast. The instructions tell me how to hook up the black and white wire but don't mention the green.

Thanks!

Old 05/18/2004, 05:26 PM
Electrical Madman!

if they are magnetic ballasts, then you just need somehow attach the ground wire to the big heavy metal part of the ballast. there are holes in it for mounting. what i did was put a terminal on the end of the ground wire and then stuck it under the ballast when i mounted it in the box. look at the ballast though, if there's a yellowish-clear plastic coating on it like most ballasts have, then you'll need to sand a little off so the wire can make contact with the metal of the ballast. you'll still have enough light the way your setup is. the individual reflectors just allow you to spread out the light better and to focus more light into the tank.
Old 05/18/2004, 08:49 PM
Proud Father

Well I just back from the lfs and I bought a really nice canopy! Anyway, I have PFO reflectors on my halides now but I am just concerned if I get T5's how long they are with the endcaps because I want to make sure they will fit, also, unless I get T5's from somewhere else that have the individual reflectors I think I will wait on T5's and just go VHO.

I was planning 2-110W VHO 46.5" actinics, I know they will fit. Just have to find a good deal on the whole retro set-up. The best I have found is $249, that includes complete Icecap retro with bulbs.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

MacnReef: I'm trying to get you a quote for that setup now.

Ryan

Old 05/19/2004, 07:33 AM
Proud Father

A quote on what? The VHO's or the T5's? I emailed Carolina and they got back to me this morning.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

I was getting a quote on the VHO's for you. Was he able to compete with the $249.99?

Old 05/19/2004, 07:46 AM
Proud Father

Didn't ask him about VHOs...just the T5's. That would be great if you can get me a quote on just VHO's, I really don't need the reflector either. I just emailed www.hellolights.com about their VHO retro, with bulbs, ballast, reflector, everything is $199 plus shipping of $12.95. So even better.

So you emailed Carolina for me? If so, I won't bother them.

Thanx!
Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 07:47 AM
Proud Father

BTW, it has to be the 46.5" system.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Mike, he only sells the VHO ballasts so hellolights might be the way to go.

Old 05/19/2004, 08:01 AM
Proud Father

Thanx bud!

I will probably order them from HL today.

Mike

P.S. I got the itch to get my lighting done!
Old 05/19/2004, 08:07 AM
Electrical Madman!

a 2-48" T5 retro will cost $201 from premium aquatics. they should be the same length as 48"VHO's with the endcaps and the 48" VHO's fit just fine in my 90 gallon canopy. what's the internal length of your canopy?
Old 05/19/2004, 08:15 AM
Proud Father

I will measure it today on lunch.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

I've got new plumbing plans now. I decided to get the OceansMotions 4 HD unit instead of two seaswirls.

Here is a pic of the new setup:

Here is a pic of the electrical plans.

I don't forsee having to switch off the heaters, fans or oceansmotions very much so they will go on standard plugs. The pumps will go on switched plugs and the lights will get their own standalone plug for the timers. I might put the PC light and the moonlight on x10 also, haven't decided yet. Am I forgetting anything that needs to be plugged in?

Old 05/19/2004, 08:38 AM
Proud Father

I would consider running your return up the back of the tank and over the wall and use the 3/4" as a back up drain. I am always cautious, especially when dealing with so much flow and water.

What you can do with the 3/4" is make it a little higher than the durso, so if the durso gets clogged or anything happens, the water will only raise up a little then will drain out of the 3/4". The 3/4" will be just a stand pipe, no durso and it should be able to handle any excess water.

Mike
Old 05/19/2004, 08:41 AM
Electrical Madman!

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
I don't forsee having to switch off the heaters, fans or oceansmotions very much so they will go on standard plugs.
you'd be surprized how much you might want to turn some of the other things off. especially in a hurry. it's nice to look at a label and flip a switch rather than have to hunt for a plug. i could help you make a panel if you wanted.