Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/04/2003, 10:01 AM
Sponsor

Water Science and Technology Vol 30 No 10 pp 263–272 © IWA Publishing 1994

Effect of flow velocity on phosphate release from sediment
Yoshiyuki Nakamura
Department of Civil Engineering, Kyushu University, 6-10-1 Hakozaki, Fukuoka Fukuoka 812 Japan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABSTRACT
A mathematical model of phosphate release rate from sediment, fp, is presented which determines the fp as a function of flow velocity over the sediment and dissolved oxygen concentration. Oxygen consumption in the sediment is expressed as the sum of chemical consumption due to ferrous iron oxygenation and the bacterial consumption which is assumed to be a first order reaction of oxygen. At very low flow velocities, transport through the diffusive boundary layer is the limiting factor of SOD, and phosphate release rate is expressed as a linear decreasing function of the velocity. When flow velocities are increased, both SOD and phosphate release rate become independent of velocity, since the reactions in the sediment are the rate limiting factor. The model suggests that phosphate release flux is a linear decreasing function of DO in the bulk water, while SOD is an increasing function of DO concentration. The critical DO concentration at which the phosphate release ceases is expressed in terms of the flow velocity. The prediction of SOD and p by the present model is favourably compared with experiments by former researchers.

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/04/2003, 10:14 AM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Thats very close to what that article was saying. But not quite. It was talking about differentiated salinity and release rates.
Yes I will search again today. I have 5 hours before I get to work.
Old 11/04/2003, 10:30 AM
Sponsor

Effects of Benthic Flux on Short Term Variations of Nutrients
in Aburatsubo Bay
KAZUFUMI TAKAYANAGI* and HISASHI YAMADA**

Full article:

http://www.terrapub.co.jp/journals/J...3/55030463.pdf

Proud owner of the very rare YET (Yellow Elephantis Tang) from the Lord Bibah Islands.

Old 11/04/2003, 01:17 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellotang
Thats very close to what that article was saying. But not quite. It was talking about differentiated salinity and release rates.
Yes I will search again today. I have 5 hours before I get to work.
YT and Hab, this is the one I need. With all the buttons, bells, and charts. It also goes into temps and Ph seepage.
Old 11/04/2003, 01:19 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Habib
Effects of Benthic Flux on Short Term Variations of Nutrients
in Aburatsubo Bay
KAZUFUMI TAKAYANAGI* and HISASHI YAMADA**

Full article:

http://www.terrapub.co.jp/journals/J...3/55030463.pdf
YO

we have liftoff Houston!!
Old 11/04/2003, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
YO

we have liftoff Houston!!

Was that what you were looking for?

So where is Nakamura?

Old 11/04/2003, 01:41 PM
10 & Over Club

He's not the only one that does this you know.

I really really want his.
Old 11/04/2003, 02:49 PM
Sponsor

Jerel:

After reading below article it can you explain it to me? TIA

http://www.pari.go.jp/bsh/ky-skb/eng...002_kaikoh.pdf

Old 11/04/2003, 02:52 PM
10 & Over Club

ROTFL

It's the real use for surge devices!
Old 11/04/2003, 03:29 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
Alright darn it, I know Nakamura worked at the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries Biological Laboratory in Osaka. I know he wrote papers on captive sea water systems. I know he wrote papers on sea water well systems for the Dept of the Interior in Honolulu.

He developed the systems for holding and maintaining tuna in totally closed systems and went into great detail on settling sand filters - we call them deep sand beds.

Jerel:

So probably it is the following Nakamura and the paper you are looking for might be "reasonably" old?

The Kewalo Research Facility (National Marine Fisheries Service, Honolulu Laboratory) pioneered
the practices required to acquire and maintain live tunas in shore-side tanks more than 40 years ago
(e.g., Nakamura 1962).

If so and if YT can't find it (back) you might want to ask Randy.

Knowing some more initials might be of help. If I find them I will let you know.

Old 11/04/2003, 03:37 PM
Sponsor

Nakamura, E. L. 1964. Salt well water facilities at the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries Biological Laboratory, Honolulu. In J. R. Clark and R. L. Clark (editors), A collection of papers on sea-water systems for experimental aquariums. U.S. Fish Wildl. Serv., Res. Rep. 63:169-172.

Old 11/04/2003, 03:58 PM
10 & Over Club

Nope, the one I'm looking for is recent.

I'm pretty sure YT can find it. He had it in his grubby paws for a minute there and let it slip away.
Old 11/04/2003, 04:40 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Searching right now.

Here's another interesting study done on Nitrates(inorganic) and Phosphates in relations to sediment depth.
worthwhile read IMHO.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(01)00155-2

Bomber still loiking. Man this is insain, can't believe I'm not going straight to it. Using the same terms of search.
Old 11/04/2003, 05:08 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Found this one on suspended matter from M. Katelan-Macana and M. Petrovic.

Titled "Competitive sorption of phosphate and marine humic substances on suspended particulate matter"
Water Science and Technology
Volume 32, Issues 9-10 , 1995, Pages 349-355

Abstract
The sorption behavior of dissolved orthophosphate in the presence of background organics has been evaluated by studying the sorption on suspended particles (sand, calcite, bentonite and iron oxide). Humic and fulvic acids, that are the most significant component of organic substances in aquatic systems, were used as competitive solutes. Marine humic substances were isolated from the surface part of the sediment collected in Raska bay, Adriatic sea. Since the phenomena of phosphate fixation are especially important in estuarine waters, when fresh and saline waters undergo mixing in the coastal zone, the influence of salinity was studied. It was found that the following effects could be considered:

- reduced phosphate fixation due to favorable sorption of humic substances onto suspended particles,

- enhanced sorption induced by increased salinity and concentration of Ca2+-ions which enabled the bridging between sorbed humic acids and phosphate.

Still looking
Old 11/04/2003, 05:11 PM
3000m club

Does your internet browser have a history function where you can see every page you browsed on a given day? If so, you could just look at all those pages and probably find it pretty quickly.

"smart people win debates, stupid people win shouting matches"
-skippy
Old 11/04/2003, 06:28 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

I wish that was all I had to do, but this is a Electronic journal search which is not easy to navigate through. In otherwords, no actual history.
Old 11/04/2003, 06:30 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Here is one direectly related to our tanks and phosphates.

Marine Pollution Bulletin
Volume 20, Issue 12 , December 1989, Pages 624-628

Alteration of phosphorus dynamics during experimental eutrophication of enclosed marine ecosystems*1

Kenneth R. Hinga

Marine Ecosystems Research Laboratory, Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, RI 02882, USA

Available online 7 April 2003.

Abstract
A 28 month eutrophication experiment was conducted in marine mesocosms at the Marine Ecosystems Research Laboratory of the University of Rhode Island. Each mesocosm contained 13 m3 of seawater and a layer of benthic sediments transferred from adjacent Narragansett Bay. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and silica were added daily to the mesocosms.

The paper examines net exchanges of phosphorus between benthic sediments and water column during the experiment. At low loading rates the regular annual pattern of phosphate concentrations is still evident but the amplitude of the pattern is magnified. At higher loading rates the annual pattern is lost and the effectiveness of the sediments to act as a `buffer' to water column concentrations is reduced. In some cases the nutrient loading caused a release of phosphorus from the sediments.
Old 11/04/2003, 06:33 PM
3000m club

I hear ya. Searching for journals here at UCSB is the biggest pain in the you know what. At least there are a lot of journals with electronic access so I don't have to walk over to the library, find the article, and then find a copier that isn't broken!

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellotang
I wish that was all I had to do, but this is a Electronic journal search which is not easy to navigate through. In otherwords, no actual history.

-skippy
Old 11/04/2003, 07:39 PM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

I am soooo sorry Bomber. I can not find it at all. I don't know what I did or didn't do that brought it up. I was more or less browsing the journals and really didn't pay attention to it. I will keep trying but at different levels. If you happen across it please let me know so that I can refind it. I am trying different libraries also to try to find it. I am coming across stuff relating to water motion and phosphate fixing rates but nothing on the salinity issue that is by Hakamura. Even the well studies.

It also doesn't help my nerves that every time I try to post here I get server too busy a million and one times. Enough to make one want to post to different sites. like thereeftank.com
Old 11/04/2003, 08:04 PM
10 & Over Club

LOL I know what you mean. I know I had it at one time too.

Don't drive yourself crazy, do it when you have time. I'll let you know if I find it here.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:06 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
At low loading rates the regular annual pattern of phosphate concentrations is still evident but the amplitude of the pattern is magnified. At higher loading rates the annual pattern is lost and the effectiveness of the sediments to act as a `buffer' to water column concentrations is reduced. In some cases the nutrient loading caused a release of phosphorus from the sediments.
You nailed what goes on in a reef tank with this one. They were using aquariums to set up their models, so this is it.

Hang on to this one. It just might come in handy later.
Old 11/04/2003, 08:15 PM
3000m club

Here's one

Author/Editor/Inventor
Hopkinson Charles S, Jr [a]; Giblin Anney E; Tucker Jane; Garritt Robert H.
Institution
[a] Ecosystems Center, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 02543 USA.
Title (English)
Benthic metabolism and nutrient cycling along an estuarine salinity gradient.
Source
Estuaries. 22(4). Dec., 1999. 863-881.
Abstract
Benthic metabolism and nutrient exchange across the sediment-water interface were examined over an annual cycle at four sites along a freshwater to marine transect in the Parker River-Plum Island Sound estuary in northeastern Massachusetts, U.S. Sediment organic carbon content was highest at the freshwater site (10.3%) and decreased along the salinity gradient to 0.2% in the sandy sediments at the marine end of the estuary. C:N ratios were highest in the mid estuary (23:1) and lowest near the sea (11:1). Chlorophyll a in the surface sediments was high along the entire length of the estuary (39-57 mg chlorophyll a m-2) but especially so in the sandy marine sediments (172 mg chlorophyll a m-2). Chlorophyll a to phaeophytin ratios suggested most chlorophyll is detrital, except at the sandy marine site. Porewater sulfide values varied seasonally and between sites, reflecting both changes in sulfate availability as overlying water salinity changed and sediment metabolism. Patterns of sediment redox potential followed those of sulfide. Porewater profiles of inorganic N and P reflected strong seasonal patterns in remineralization, accumulation, and release. Highest porewater NH4+ values were found in upper and mid estuarine sediments, occasionally exceeding 1 mM N. Porewater nitrate was frequently absent, except in the sandy marine sediments where concentrations of 8 muM were often observed. Annual average respiration was lowest at the marine site (13 mmol O2 m-2 d-1 and 21 mmol TCO2 m-2 d-1) and highest in the mid estuary (130 mmol O2 m-2 d-1 and 170 mmol TCO2 m-2 d-1) where clam densities were also high. N2O and CH4 fluxes were low at all stations throughout the year. Over the course of a year, sediments varied from being sources to sinks of dissolved organic C and N, with the overall spatial pattern related closely to sediment organic content. There was little correlation between PO43- flux and metabolism, which we attribute to geochemical processes. At the two sites having the lowest salinities, PO43- flux was directed into the sediments. On average, between 22% and 32% of total system metabolism was attributable to the benthos. The mid estuary site was an exception as benthic metabolism accounted for 95% of the total, which is attributable to high densities of filter-feeding clams. Benthic remineralization supplied from less than 1% to over 190% of the N requirements and 0% to 21% of the P requirements of primary producers in this system. Estimates of denitrification calculated from stoichiometry of C and N fluxes ranged from 0% for the upper and mid estuary site to 35% for the freshwater site to 100% of sediment organic N remineralization at the marine site. We hypothesize that low values in the upper and mid estuary are attributable to enhanced NH4+ fluxes during summer due to desorption of exchangeable ammonium from rising porewater salinity. NH4+ desorption during summer may be a mechanism that maintains high rates of pelagic primary production at a time of low inorganic N inputs from the watershed.

-skippy
Old 11/05/2003, 12:35 AM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

Ya, I read that one too, That's a good one.
Old 11/05/2003, 10:26 AM
10 & Over Club

I'm going to have to pull a few clerks and put them on this. I'm going blind trying to find it again.
Hab I didn't realize there were so many Nakamuras. That must be the equivalent of Smith in Japan.
Old 11/05/2003, 10:35 AM
Mr. Leaks A Lot!

hehe, thats what I came across also. Lots of Nakamura doctors and chemists.