Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/02/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Bump

I just got a RS-80P and mesh modded it the minute I took it out of the box. The bubbles are about the width of a sewing needle. I definitely love this skimmer so far, its really quiet and moves a LOT of air.

I'll post pics when I start getting skimmate.

I have a couple questions:

1. Whats your definition of "foam head"?

2. Where do I want the foam head at?

3. Do I need to adjust the air line at all? Its wide open right now. Does closing it make the skimmer skim more wet?
What did you use for the mod? Can you describe what you did?

I just bought a RS-100 and I am just starting to learn about the mesh mods that can be done. Right now, I am impressed with the skimmer, but any more I can do with it would be great.
I have my water line just at the bottom of the collection cup. The foam head is about 2" from the top of the chamber.
Here's a pic of the RS-100, right after cleaning so the foam head hasnt built back up yet.

Old 12/02/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Having ER Issues

I have a CS8-3 skimmer. I have the gate valve on it. Before I bought it from someone the acylic where the elbow was was cracked so I fixed it with weldon 16 and supported it as you will see in the pictures. I figured I might as well explain it. Within the last month it seems like my skimmer goes nuts for no reason. I will be getting nasty stuff near the collection cup but its still in the neck not the collection cup. I turn the gate valve just a hair more and everything seems good. Come downstairs a while later and its overflowing. I check the airline for an blockages and the air is flowing fine. Any ideas?
Old 12/02/2007, 04:06 PM
TRC Leader

Perhaps the pump is surging, causing such changes? I would keep the foam bubbling right at the level of the collection cup's base. If you want to push some skimmate up into the cup, put your thumb over the airline tubing for a few seconds.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

I get my RS-180 tommorow!

Any advice in breaking it in faster? Ive been without a skimmer for about a week now.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:03 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
I get my RS-180 tommorow!

Any advice in breaking it in faster? Ive been without a skimmer for about a week now.
Run it in a small tub in freshwater with some vinegar. Enough vinegar to get it foaming pretty good.
Old 12/02/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Thks.

Should i rinse it out afterwards?
Old 12/02/2007, 08:08 PM
Generic Member

You can if you want. Vinegar doesnt hurt anything.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

What a monster!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn its purty.

The collection cup is bigger than my head. Glad I didnt get the 250.

"things are going to start happening now!"
Old 12/03/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

OK, so the beast is bubbling. Looks great, just a couple of observations.

1. to get rid of the larger bubbles, and to get a nice stem of smaller bubbles pushing up into the collection cup, I had to use the air intake valve. The drain pipe is shut about half way, and performance is noticably better with the air choked off a little.

This dramatically increased the amount of bubbles in the body, and quality in the stem of the collection cup, but it puts alot back into the sump. Not an issue as I have a great bubble trap.

Am I good to go? Looks good to me. It's been running for about 8 hrs now.

Last edited by nattydread; 12/03/2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Remember that it's still breaking in. The bubbles will calm down after it gets a good slime coat on it (same deal for a while after cleaning the cup). I've noticed smaller bubbles by restricting the air intake as well, but I also think that the idea is to get as much air into the skimmer as possible.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat with my RS250. Everyone recommends removing the air intake, but my bubbles are much bigger that way. So, I leave the restrictor on, and close it *just a bit*. Result is nice, fine bubbles.

Tennsquire: Are you saying that I can leave the restrictor off, and at some point, my bubbles will be just as small?
Old 12/03/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I never have used the air intake valve on my RS250 and get great skimming. I would see what works best for your system. Should work great with or without the intake.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I never have used the air intake valve on my RS250 and get great skimming. I would see what works best for your system. Should work great with or without the intake.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Can you post a pic of your RS250 and the bubbles? How far do you have your drain closed off?
Old 12/03/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

I will post some pics. I don't have the new style drain. I guess I am old school. How do you like that drain setup?
Old 12/03/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I'm not a big fan of it. I don't like the fact that I can't submerge the drain under the water. If I do, it's super difficult to control the static water level within the sump. So I have to angle the drain above the water level and tie a filter bag around it to prevent splashing.

I had an older ER skimmer on my last tank. It had the old-style riser tube with sponge on it. I wouldn't say that's a good type of drain, but I liked it more than my current drain. It was also easier to fine tune the static water level.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Im thinking I may have to add the air valve to my RS-100. Its almost been two weeks since I installed it and I feel like it can do better, based on everything Im reading. It is only on a 65g tank, but I feed alot and have a decent bio load.

Another question, does the gate valve kit increase the footprint at all?
My sump didnt have much space and the RS-100 fits in snug, but I cant have it any larger.

Thanks.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried drilling a small hole in the elbow after the twist pipe on the new style Euros. Wouldn't this relieve the back pressure that prevents you from having the exit pipe under water. I was thinking about doing this and then building a small air silencer for that hole.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I dont see why it wouldnt work. But then again, whats a little back pressure when your allready choking the return liek I am.

MIne is at the water line.
Old 12/04/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

Looking to join the club soon but just have a few questions first!

Firstly, how much room (ie height) do I need to remove the RS-80 collection cup?

Secondly, this RS-80 would be running in about 9.5 inches of water. Is this too much?

I have only about 24" of height in my stand to work with...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12/04/2007, 03:19 PM
Huge Member

Hey Buddyboy,

I just got the RS-80, its awesome. Definitely worth the $.

To answer your questions:

The collection cup needs ZERO (yes zero) more room to remove. Theres a locking ring that twists off and you don't have to move it up at all. You can check HERE and read under the "Got Skimmate" section.

I emailed Euro-Reef about the water level when I was thinking of getting mine, and they said 5-8" is ideal. I've actually heard it works better at 8". You can stack layers of egg crate underneath it to help lift it up. Mine is at 8" exactly with 3 layers of egg crate under it. My stand has 25" to work with, so I know the boat you're in.

Mesh-Mod that thing ASAP also.

Once you get it, check out this video:
CLICKY

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/04/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
I'm in the same boat with my RS250. Everyone recommends removing the air intake, but my bubbles are much bigger that way. So, I leave the restrictor on, and close it *just a bit*. Result is nice, fine bubbles.

Tennsquire: Are you saying that I can leave the restrictor off, and at some point, my bubbles will be just as small?
While I've noticed smaller bubbles with the air intake restrictor, I think the idea is to get as much air into the mix as possible. After I clean the skimmer cup, the bubbles are larger at first (with or without the valve). They get smaller after the skimmer slimes up a bit after a few hours of skimming.

I don't use the valve on either of my Euroreefs (RC135; CS6-1). Also, the 6-1 has an oversized Sedra on it (5000), so I don't know how this figures into the mix (it does skim MUCH better that way). I believe that ER recommends that the valve be run either wide open or completely off, and is to be used when you feed or use additives to keep it from overflowing if necessary.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GatorWPB
Im thinking I may have to add the air valve to my RS-100. Its almost been two weeks since I installed it and I feel like it can do better, based on everything Im reading. It is only on a 65g tank, but I feed alot and have a decent bio load.

Another question, does the gate valve kit increase the footprint at all?
My sump didnt have much space and the RS-100 fits in snug, but I cant have it any larger.

Thanks.
You do need some extra room for the gate valve. I have had an older CS6-1 for years (same specs as the RS 100). I found that it works much better with the gate valve (old riser tube was a pain) and a bigger pump (Sedra 5000 vs 3500). I did put the air valve on it originally, and it helps to fine tune it. Now, I run it wide open. Try a bigger pump on it if you can get your hands on one; it's a very different skimmer with a bigger pump. You'll be amazed.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tennsquire
While I've noticed smaller bubbles with the air intake restrictor, I think the idea is to get as much air into the mix as possible. After I clean the skimmer cup, the bubbles are larger at first (with or without the valve). They get smaller after the skimmer slimes up a bit after a few hours of skimming.

I don't use the valve on either of my Euroreefs (RC135; CS6-1). Also, the 6-1 has an oversized Sedra on it (5000), so I don't know how this figures into the mix (it does skim MUCH better that way). I believe that ER recommends that the valve be run either wide open or completely off, and is to be used when you feed or use additives to keep it from overflowing if necessary.
How would you compare bubble size with the valve completely off versus with the valve on, but run almost wide open?
Old 12/04/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Heres a picture of my Euro Reef CS 12-6. Next to it is a Euro Reef CS 6-2. The tank behind it is a 150G Eurobraced.