Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club

Old 08/27/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Need suggestions on how to use this space for my new stand.

So the tank is currently sitting in this area where the stairs come out from the wall

Here is a direct shot, which gives a better idea of the width

The dimensions of the space are: 92.5" W x 36" D x 96.5" H. The width measurement is from the right wall to where the overhang stops. I still have room to the left of this though.

Try not to laugh too much at the existing stand. I had no real tools at the time it was built and it was only intended to be temporary. The tank is an AGA 120 4ft x 2ft x 2ft with corner overflows.

Anyway, I had thought about doing something like this:

Although I wouldn't do the paneling and probably do it more in the style of chrismhaase. I really his style of trimwork better.

The picture is from Michael Mota's build thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

I had also given some thought to doing some sort of built-in there, although the space behind the tank would be really tight (either way it will be tight really). This is in the living room and will be behind a couch that is easily moved out of the way.

The reason that I had been thinking about doing the stand this way is because it allows room for storage. I need a place to hide my ballasts, topoff storage container, calcium reactor (when I get one ) and everything else that I have. With a traditional stand and canopy I am not left with very much room to hide stuff. The room opposite of this is the master so it isn't like I can go thru the wall to something in there.

I am open to any kind of suggestions that you all might have. At the moment I am not dead set on any one particular idea.
Old 08/27/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

It would be pretty cool if you just dropped a wall straight down from the top of the stairs and make it into an in-wall set up. Make a closet out of the remaining space and throw all the fish stuff in their
Old 08/27/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

agreed,then you get an equipment room.
Old 08/27/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I had thought about doing that. I just wasn't sure that I had enough room, with only about a foot left behind the tank. Also If I decide to move in 5 years, how easy is it going to be to take that down? Lastly, is there anyone on here that has done something similar before? By similar I mean framing part of it. I might need some help on that part of it.
Old 08/27/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

would it possible to move the tank to the left to get it near the door?if so you can gain some space for the room and allow yourself 2 viewing windows instead of one(if you build it into the wall).
Old 08/27/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Anything is possible I could do that. Just wanted to try and keep it as close to center on that wall as I could. Do you think that would look weird though because the overhang would end before the room room would.
Old 08/27/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

put i nice big plant up on top it might be a little wierd but there is always a way to make something pleasing to the eye.if you plan on moving in a few years i wouldnt do it,but if you are thinking long term it is very possible.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:58 PM
Wife and dog.

It looks like you have the same situation I have. This is what I did. I backed the tank up to the stairwell and have a fishroom under the stairs. I LOVE IT, YOU NEED TO DO IT!!!! It will be so much easier to work so on and so on.

Here are a few pics. If you want you are welcome to come by and check it out and get ideas and see how things worked out for me.

- Chris

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sump in fish room

Space under the stand and no noise from filtration.

JUST DO IT, FISHROOMS ARE AWESOME.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

ohhhh i see a fish room in the works here
now that you posted how yours looks,i can see that his isnt much different than yours chris.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

talk to rogergolf... I'm pretty sure he has a 125 in wall
Old 08/27/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I might take you up on the offer to come by and see the setup Chris. I had given some thought to doing this, but the setup of my stairs is a little different. I do have a little room under the stairs but I would have to move my tank so the back would be up against the first run of stairs which are much lower than yours are. The way my stairs are set up the first run goes up to the landing and then the second run goes up to the left from there. My tank is currently sitting under where the second run goes up to the second story. I am not sure how well that would work against the lower first run. The canopy would end up being much higher than the stair railing.

I have been admiring your build all along the way. I hope that mine turns out as well as yours has. With all the good advice from everyone here I am sure that I will be successful.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

yes I do Have a 125 inwall.

Well I love my system granted when I do it all over again. I would do some things slightly different. You live and learn. Well Grain-O-Salt the best advise I can give you is don't rush it. I was looking at a lot of different ways to setup my system and I didn't plan on an inwall at first and it just all clicked. well what I am saying is you will come up with something good I am sure. I think you are on the right track If I had your space to use I would do something like the picture you posted. I would build it right under the stair. From the far left side of the stair I would go down with your cabinet and just fit it in on an angle matching the stair line to the right all the way to the wall.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 08/27/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Chris I like the small touches. like the fact that on your laptop you are even on reefcentral in the picture. lol

:-)

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 08/28/2007, 07:02 AM
Wife and dog.

GRain, I would be more than happy to come by and give you my "professional" opinion. That sounded good didn't it?!?! Yeah not a problem I would be happy to offer any advise that I can. Just let me know. Send me a PM with your avaialbilty. I am a work out of the house guy who sells large equipment so I have a flexible schedule.

Another piece of advise, go and look through the large reef tanks forums and look at builds there and see if you like anything from there. This is what I did and it helped, a little from here and a little from here.

Chris

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/28/2007, 07:03 AM
Wife and dog.

And I agree with Roger about angling down the cabinet to fit the stairs. That was my first thought and it would look SOOOOOOO good and professional.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/28/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

I thought about doing that at one point also. I am just afraid that with my limited woodworking experience that it wouldn't end up looking like what I wanted. But I agree it would look really good if the cabinet on the right matched the slope of the stairs there. Maybe make the part that triangular shaped part that would match the line of the stairs shelving for books and possibly a frag or quarantine tank. and then cabinet underneath that. So regular cabinet on the left, with doors top and bottom and shelving on the right (triangular shape) cabiinet with door on the bottom?
Old 08/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Maybe a crazy idea, but I was looking thru the large tank forums and I saw an entertainment center that someone was moving to make room for their tank.

So the tank would sit on a regular height cabinet, but the same two pillars on either side and instead of a canopy, think more like the shelf going across in the picture with the lighting mounted on the underside. What do you guys think about that one?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:16 PM
Wife and dog.

Depending on the furniture used I guess it could look alright, but if you are going to do, do it right. For a nice setup, I dont think you should junk it up by trying to retrofit some TV furniture. I think I would have to see it. The idea would work if you were to design pillars into the stand though.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/28/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking build something from scratch but that kind of an idea. Still with the kind of trimwork that you have on yours. I wouldn't retrofit, that would look jacked up. Just another idea. I might take you up on coming by for ideas. Just a weird space but I want to make the most of it.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:52 PM
Wife and dog.

Aww I see. I am glad to hear you do not want a rigged setup. Another good idea is take measurements, sketches, pictures, and a description of equipment and take it to the TBRC meeting on 9/8 and see if anyone has any ideas and or would like to help. More ideas could be helpful.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/28/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

I was hoping to get started on it before then. But I would like to go to the meeting.
Old 08/28/2007, 10:13 PM
Wife and dog.

I would not rush it. Get deisgns and think about it.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/28/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Have been going back and forth for a while now. Just recently was asking the question here. The idea that I gave the most serious thought to before was the idea about matching something to the line of the stairs like you guys had mentioned. That was my favorite idea from before. I just want it to look like a nice piece of furniture and not something cheap.
Old 08/29/2007, 08:08 AM
Wife and dog.

I agree 1 million percent!!

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/29/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

You agreeing with the looking like furniture and not cheap part?