Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2006, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

New Reef Club Central Alabama

We are in the process of forming a new Reef Club in Central Alabama. Most of the membership so far is from around Jasper,Al about 40 miles west of Birmingham but we plan to host meetings in Jasper, Birmingham, and Tuscaloosa and other surrounding cities. We will be a family oriented club that meets once a month to swap frags, talk reefs, and have a good time. We hope that this will allow folks that can't make the long drives to the NARC meetings to attend ours. We will be having our first meeting Saturday 4th of November at Noon at a restaurant in Jasper. The first meeting will mainly focus on getting everything started doing introductions, discussing membership benefits and dues, discussing officer elections. If you wish to attend the meeting please send me a private message or email by clicking the link above. Again this will be a family oriented club and we will be glad to have them attend the meeting as well just give us a head count on who will be attending. At the moment unless there is major objections, by folks saying they will be at the meeting, it will be held at Perico's Mexican Restaurant.
Our web site will be hosted at www.alabamareefers.com and if you wish to see a preview of the site please click here. This is only a preview and isn't anywhere near complete. With the website each member will also have a page on the website to show off there tank and they will also receive an email address through the club such as reefer@alabamareefers.com. We are also in the process of getting our own forum started and expect that it will be ready soon as well. I look forward to meeting with you all and discussing reefs. If you don't like the meeting thing so much but would like to join the club and share the resouurces that will be fine as well. Just contact me via email or PM here on Reef Central.
Allen
Old 10/31/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Please note reefer@alabamareefers.com is not a valid email address, so please don't send email to this address.
Old 10/31/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, Allen.

Hope you guys have a great time at your meeting. Please continue to visit NARC here and there, too. You guys are always welcome up here, too.

Tomoko
Old 10/31/2006, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

I am defintely interested in it as with a young child, my full time job and the other 2 non-paying jobs I have, leave me very little time to make it up to the NARC meetings that aren't held here in bham. Even the ones here i've not been able to make due to various other commitments.

Personally i'd love to see this club work closely with NARC as they are a great group of people from what I have seen. Hopefully this will really take off!
Old 10/31/2006, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

I will maintain my membership with NARC and I spoke with Dobb he plans to still try to make there meetings as well when our time permits. We would also like to work together with them as well and we will have a link to there site on ours. If it could be arranged I would like to do an annual meeting state wide with them and also Mobile Reefkeepers Club. We just wanted to make it easier for folks to attend that couldnt make the NARC.
Old 10/31/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

I hope we can organize a regional frag trade like Tennessee folks do in the future.

Tomoko
Old 10/31/2006, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Hey Allen, your PM box is full :doh:
Old 10/31/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Sorry scott went out to lunch it is clear now please resend, ZaoZao please resend your message as well thanks.
Thanks
Allen
Old 10/31/2006, 07:59 PM
Happy Trees

Good deal! I never understood why there wasn't a reef club in Central AL. You'd think with more population, there'd be more reefers.

I'm interested in participating as well, but I don't know how much time I'd be able to put in, between school and work.
Old 10/31/2006, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

It's great to hear this!!!

Keep us NARC members posted on your meetings and let us know if you need help with anything. I'm sure some of us would make the trip to come on occassion.

Let us know when your site is up and we'll link to it as well and cross-post your meetings on our site to get the word out.

Good Luck!
Old 11/01/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Ok reservations confirmed for saturday at noon at pericos in jasper. Please let me know if you plan to come and haven't alread sent me a message.
Old 11/01/2006, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Perico's

Having our first meeting at a mexican restaurant mabe the first topic of discussson should be Margarita snails (ha ha). Looking forward to the meeting and meeting others that are interested in reefs. Thanks Allen for pulling this together.
Old 11/02/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

I have been looking for something closer! Unfortunately the meeting falls on a day that Alabama has a football and basketball game. Roll Tide!
Old 11/02/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

LOL, War Eagle come see us next time!
Old 11/02/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

thats 2 t-town ppl out now. hmmm its seems that auburn ppl had this planed.lol j/k
Coral beauty, 2 skunk clowns, Melanarus Wrasse, scarlet hermits, blue leg hermits, turbo snails, 3 types of mushrooms, colt coral, unknown leather, green star polyps, Maze brain, favia, green closed brain, scolymia, hammer coral, bubble coral, 2 color morphs candycane coral, green long tenticle plate, glove polyps, 5 types of zoas, orange monti, galaxia coral, sun coral, frogspawn, hammer coral
Old 11/02/2006, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

We can't help it we play a high school team this weekend and its not televised.

I AM KIDDING!!!!!!
Old 11/02/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Football season will be over soon sorry to have scheduled it during an Alabama game I can assure you that wasn't my intention. someone can bring a small radio and keep track of the score if need be. It looks like we are going to have a good bunch of folks to join the club I know several have sent message that they wanted in and couldn't make the first meeting, thats fine you guys just try to catch the next one. And get the word out to folks that you know.
FRAGS FOR THE MEETING!!!
Anyone want me to bring some xenia to the meeting I can scrape some off the back. I can also bring a rock (about 3"x4" ) of metallic green star polyps would rather swap this since I paid 35 bucks for this piece a while back(since then it has grown in several places in my tank). I have a really large finger leather that I will frag off in the future for the meetings. I can bring chaeto if anyone needs it. I had a clown fish I was bringing but when I mentioned it Dobb laid claim to it for his frag tank.

I know that Krafty had alot of stuff but he opted for the ball game since he had already had tickets (I dont blame him ) Maybe next meeting he can make it up here and bring some frags.
Old 11/03/2006, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

I dont need anything right now seeing as I am about to be setting up a new tank and moving all of my stuff (I bought alafish's 125 )
Old 11/03/2006, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Oh man you picked up a really nice tank then did you get the lights too? If so I envy you!
Old 11/03/2006, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Nah I couldnt spare that much cash

I am going to use my 8x39w t5 setup although its only 36". It'll give a bit of shade on the ends but for the time being it will be ok. I'll upgrade to a dual MH setup after I recover the cost of the tank and all the plumbing stuff I am doing.
Old 11/03/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I want you Alabama fans to know that just seconds ago at lunch I had to turn down tickets to the Auburn game tomorrow. To the folks that are coming I will see you tomorrow.
Roy if you are coming let me know.
Allen
Old 11/04/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Had fun at the meeting, hopefully we will get some of the other folks there the next time. Brian I hope you just decided not to come and wasn't lost calling my number my cell phone just died this morning and wont take a charge. To the folks that went to the Alabama game you would have liked the meeting alot better I am sure. As promised here is a couple of shots from my tank.
Old 11/05/2006, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Looks great man, Sorry we couldnt make the meet. Just so much going on here.
Old 11/06/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

just out of the blue here i happen to have a alabama-auburn student ticket that can be converted to a student guest ticket that i am selling. i need the money more than i need to go to the game. my g/f has put a min of $200 for it.
Coral beauty, 2 skunk clowns, Melanarus Wrasse, scarlet hermits, blue leg hermits, turbo snails, 3 types of mushrooms, colt coral, unknown leather, green star polyps, Maze brain, favia, green closed brain, scolymia, hammer coral, bubble coral, 2 color morphs candycane coral, green long tenticle plate, glove polyps, 5 types of zoas, orange monti, galaxia coral, sun coral, frogspawn, hammer coral
Old 12/07/2006, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

so are we gonna have a Dec. meeting?