Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Power head placement?

Ok where is the best place to place your power heads? I don't mean to sound ignorant but just want to make sure I have mine in the right spot. Sometimes I feel like it is not correct. Any help would be well appreciated.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I am not sure the best way but I have mine facing at each other and they are placed on the side panels of the tank toward the top high enough to give a little water agitation to the water surface. Seems to be plenty of flow to me
Old 01/10/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

I have mine on opposite sides of the tank as well and they kind of make a "L" with their direction.

But, I also don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to this. Some people want flow to their rocks to keep detrius off, some want flow behind their rocks to clear the matter that settles back there. Some, as ann411 said want the flow to break the water column for gas exchange.

I guess some of the direction needed will also depend on what corals, etc you'll be keeping as some require more flow than others and some require less flow than others.

You'll probably find yourself changing the direction quite often, here and there. I know I've changed the direction of mine more than once because of one reason or another.

As for sounding ignorant....not at all. That's what this site is for. Everytime someone asks a question, everyone learns something and we've all asked these questions at one point or anohter...and I'm still asking them! LOL!
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/10/2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I have mine in the back two corners facing the opposite front two corners. One is right below the water surface and the other is a little bit lower. That being said...it all depends on your tank (rockwork, corals, etc.), you'll have to play with them a bit and find the best spot for your tank. There is no right or wrong, just tweak them untill you feel you have the best water movement for your tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for your imput. I guess I am fine then. Funny, but lately it has been eating at me. Then I started second guessing myself and then you know started moving things around and not trusting my own judgement.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

i thought it was the placement of the corals?