Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Local stores in Al.

I just wanted to thank all the local stores that supply the reefing hobby (a.k.a addiction). I frequent a few shops just to see what they have and obtain new knowledge I've already forgotten. I tend to make my rounds from Aquarium Designs in Birmingham, The Living Reef in Rainbow City, Critters in Nashville, Aquarium Imports in Hoover, even Ed's Pet World from time to time and a few others in-between. From every store I get something weither it be something for the tanks, a bit of knowledge, or even a reason not to go back. Today I finally visited Coral Reef Aquatics in Athens, I should have gone sooner. I picked up a few frags I've been looking for and even got some red and pink cap from him to replace some that went south a while back. This truely is a great hobby and I thank all of you that make it so. Everyone in this hobby is eager to assist, educate, and give knowledge (and frags). Something other hobbies don't have. So to sum up this long post, thanks to the people that make it easier for us to have this hobby weither it be propagators, sellers, individuals who give their time to the web pages, the individuals who organize events or even the ones that give their input by forums. It's all appreciated.
Old 12/31/2006, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Well said!
Old 12/31/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

local stores

Have you checked out underwater creations off exit 6 on 459.....by far my favorite store. Hoover has nice things but customer service is lacking imo. I have bought most all of my corals and fish there, great guys.
Old 12/31/2006, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Hey MO,
I like that store too, but I have tried calling them on more than one occasion in the past couple of months, and no one ever answers the phone. I was assuming they were gone. But you are right; they are very knowledgeable and courteous with good prices.
Old 01/01/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

If you ever get down to the Montgomery area, Aquarium Fantasies is GREAT!! TONS of stuff

oh, he has some pretty cruddy open hours. closed on sun & mon. only open from 12pm-7pm other days. other than his bad hours, it's a cool store
Old 01/01/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have to come check them out sometime in the near future. I'm always looking for a new store to frequent. What are the hours of Underwater Creations? Anyone know? I might just have to check them out sometime. I do go to Montgomery from time to time, but not too frequently. If I head down that way I'll see what they have.
Old 01/01/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

here is their website:
http://www.aquariumfantasies.com/New...ium_Fantx.html

note however, that the inventory is WAY outdated. guess their not into updating. they are strictly saltwater, have way more corals than fish.
Old 01/01/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the PM's and replys, now I've got several places to visit. If there are any other places that I should visit let me know. I know there are a few around I havn't visited and would like to.
Old 01/01/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

I had no clue underwater creations was here! I'll be heading there next weekend! Thanks MoTruble!
Old 01/02/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Not a problem. Underwater Creations are closed Monday I know but as far as the other closed day I'm not sure. They normally open at like 11 and close at 7 or 8. In any case it is Very convenient for me because I live right across street so water changes are simple, I bring em a few buckets and they fill me up. They have really helped me out since only 8 mos ago I was a beginner and they spent a lot of time with me so I in turn bought everything from them. Never have gotten that service from Aquarium Designs.
Old 01/02/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, Aqua Designs never really spends much time talkin to me either. The store there looks nice, but the employees aren't at the top of my list (or the bottom).
Old 01/02/2007, 01:36 PM
Happy Trees

Sarris Underwater Creations is a great store. Customer service there is excellent, and they carry Philips frags. Prices are excellent on fish and coral too. They're off the Bessemer exit on 459...the exit after the Hoover Met (coming from the Galleria).
Old 01/02/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know how much they charge for their LR?
Old 01/05/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Give um a call...

Sarris Underwater Creations
3985 Parkwood Road Suite 109, Bessemer, AL 35022
(205) 481-2278
Old 01/08/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Made a trip to Underwater Creations as well as Darryl's Store (Tropical Pet Cove) this weekend, and was very impressed with both stores! The guys at both stores were very helpful, and didn't seem to mind to give attention to their customers.

The prices at UC were exceptional! Generally better than internet prices when you include shipping (or at least as good). Basically, you tell them what you want, they order it (once a week on monday) and its in by tues or weds! If you haven't been there, GO!

TPC seemed to have good prices on their livestock, I honestly didn't pay much attention to his equip prices. The store looked good, and the livestock looked healthy! This is another store that I would reccommend.
Old 01/08/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

i haven't checked out that store yet.. i'm going to give them a call tomorrow and go and check them out. i feel the same way about aquarium designs. they're pricey and they have too many b/s customers to spend any time with you and talk. i drive to the living reef all the time in the winter or when my toys are down preventing muddin. they're a place out in anniston that's pretty good. they kinda got me started in the hobby, but good ole jerry and his daughter has kept me going. thanks.
Old 01/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Can someone pass on some directions to Tropical Pet Cove. I'm heading to B'ham on Thursday. Wanted to check out some stores besides Aquarium Fantasies, Aquarium Designs, Petsville etc. I NEED SOMETHING NEW PLEASE!!!!
Old 01/12/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Here is the info. in case anyone has interest.

Tropical Pet Cove
7895 Highway 119
Alabaster, AL 35007
205-621-0411

I was in two days ago and they have the brightest green Zoo frags I have seen. They are gorgeous! They still had several when I left. But don't take mine. It's paid for

Last edited by kg4izw; 01/12/2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01/21/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

bump