Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't expect more than a $10 increase for your setup, there has to be something else going on.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I worked for a utility. Better check to see if ground comming off pole on utility side is ok. check hot water tank . anything thats 220 in home . i have large dehumidfier rund 24/7 summer months only costs 15 extra a month you have a problem somewhere. Contact your electric supplyer first .
Old 01/05/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Crossi, that's pretty much what I was figguring. shouldnt be more than a $15 bucks more a month.

Ronny not sure what you mean by checking ground off pole on utility side. Hot water tank is gas. Only 220 appliance that is in the home is the dryer. everything else is 110.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

my g/f was yelling at me about last months bill.... i didn't tell her that i come home early, get drunk, and get a wild hair to go play with my welder writing my name on rusty exhaust pipe. =) it's gonna be hell when riding season comes back in and i get the wild hair to modify my buggy so i can drink more beer and be more safe. =)
Old 01/06/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

LOL. Welders, alchohol and wild hairs. Yep that will raise the electric bill for sure. Good god how big is the tail pipe?
Old 01/06/2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Unless you keep your house pretty warm I bet this time of the year your heater is running more than 2 hours a day.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

I got two $800 electric bills last year.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

We have it very good here. Six cents per KWH. We just moved into our new home this summer, and we get billed every 2 months, I think we average about 50$$ per month. Actually the last bill was 160 but it was 30 below C and we have a basement suite with an electric fireplace.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Carmiejo, House is set at 72. Tanks set at 78-80. The heaters rarely come on. T5' do most of the heating for me so the heaters really dont work to hard.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

madreefer.... my pipe is pretty big, my veins run with beer, and my hair are long and wild. lol you're not the only madreefer, i'm soooo mad at mine. i've got over 1000 in it and it look like shoty... o before ty but could be and i. huh... but anyway i've got less money in stuff that looks way better and it's not girls. lolol i don't know what the heck is wrong with mine, that's why i'm on here and i can't find any kind of help it seems... if you think you can help me i'll show you how to drink beer and write your name in metal, and act stupid when the power bills come in. thanks. that's along with anyone else =) have a great day at WOOOORRRRKKKK b/c mine's going to just be WWOOOONNNDDEERRRFFFUUULLL..... yyyyeaaahhh right. it's better to ask for forgivness before permission... that's step 1
Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Sometimes utility companies do estimates on bills instead of billing for actual usage.

Did you get anything else during this time that could be adding to your bill? Flat panel TV, new non-energy efficient appliance, etc... Something else could be helping your bill to hit that amount.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

This is an interesting thread. My e-bill is usually around $400 /month. I think I'm gonna give this kill-a-watt a try.
Has anyone tried some other source of power? For example a solar powered unit to power their aquarium system, especially lights? Also, does anyone know how much is the KWH rate in Miami, Florida?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb

If you go to the website for your power company they may have the rates posted. If not, it will be listed and itemized on your bill.

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
Also, does anyone know how much is the KWH rate in Miami, Florida?
Old 01/09/2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Here is how kill-a-watt looks like, I got mine 20 shipped from ebay. I got it mostly to read the amp reading since I am scared and I have everything connected to a 20 AMP circuit and the tank is not up yet and I am keeping my fingers crossed I wont go over 20

Old 01/09/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

albfelix what are those two clear/blue things you got on your pipes?
Old 01/09/2008, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

those are check valves to help for the water to flow in one directions (UP) only incase of power outage you don't want the the water to siphon back in sump and create a mess.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by albfelix
those are check valves to help for the water to flow in one directions (UP) only incase of power outage you don't want the the water to siphon back in sump and create a mess.
Cool. I've only seen those for air purposes. Where did you get them from? I want to get a couple.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

www.aquaticeco.com
Old 01/09/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.

Hmm, a bit expensive though. $20 /each. Do they reduce the flow alot?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

they don't reduce flow at all. It's only a valve that opens only in one direction
Old 01/09/2008, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

If you are like me and run your sump high for max water volume they are the difference between a dry floor and a wet floor if the power goes out

Also $20 isn't too bad. Heck, that's about what I pay to dull a water change each month on my 70g tank,lol

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
Thanks.

Hmm, a bit expensive though. $20 /each. Do they reduce the flow alot?
Old 01/09/2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

nobody said this hobby was cheap! Better be safe then sorry!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

WOW
those check valves are freakin awsome thats way cool,i cant belive that ive never heard of them before,i always mess around wiht my pumps and water level until i get them just right so it i dont put to much in and dont have a overflow in my sump in case of power outage,thats waaay more simple.
thanks for the link
Old 01/09/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Getting back to the topic of the thread. How much has on average has your (the reader's) electric bill gone up after starting up a tank?
Old 01/10/2008, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

I couldnt really tell you,about the electric,house is about 3000 sq ft 2 people living here,120 salt 2 x 55 fresh and a littel ten in my room, bills about 180 a month but have never really notcied a increase in juice from the tanks nothing like 80.00