Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 01/05/2008, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Exclamation Help! My Yellow Belly Tang is Laying on its Side

I'm not sure what's wrong with my yellow belly tang. He's laying on his side and breathing heavy. Looks like he got bitten pretty hard, one of his fins is almost all gone. At first, I thought he had ick. I had come home and he was laying on his side, had some minor white spots on him, but overall, his color was good and didn't look like other fish I've seen with ick before.

I decided to put him into a breeders net to keep him safe from the other fish and wait over-night before treating him with anything. He's now made it for 2 days, but he's still laying on his side that had gotten bit. I've tried to feed him. He's not eating. He does swim around, every so often, but then goes to lay down pretty quickly.

I've had him now for about 4 months and he was a baby. He's been growing rapidly and has always been doing well until now. The other fish in the tank include 3 damsels (which I think bit him), 4 bangaiis, 2 clownfish. I just put in a sleeper gold head goby.

I did my water testing and everything looks good. All other fish and corals in the tank look good. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it!
Old 01/05/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

are there no other signs of desease?
Old 01/05/2008, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

It doesn't look like it, the clowns are fine, same with the other fish. Nothing new introduced into the tank except the goby, but he was in QT at the LFS which I trust pretty well. But one of the Bangaii's did just release a few fry, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?? I can't figure it out!! Sg is fine, param's are a little raised, but very consistent with what they have been for a while, so no spikes that I know-of.... I am going to test again here this morning.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Volkman
It doesn't look like it, the clowns are fine, same with the other fish. Nothing new introduced into the tank except the goby, but he was in QT at the LFS which I trust pretty well. But one of the Bangaii's did just release a few fry, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?? I can't figure it out!! Sg is fine, param's are a little raised, but very consistent with what they have been for a while, so no spikes that I know-of.... I am going to test again here this morning.
Do you think we could get the values of parameters?
Old 01/07/2008, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

I don't have my log here at work, but:

Am: .01
Nitrate: .02
Nitrite: .04
Sg: 1.024
PH 8.3-8.4

That's all I can remember from my head. I know that some are a little high, but they have been consistant. Dang skimmer is being fussy.......
Old 01/08/2008, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

You should have no traces of ammonia or nitrites. Fix that problem first.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LargeAngels
You should have no traces of ammonia or nitrites. Fix that problem first.
i agree with LargeAngels, i've discovered that Tangs are very sensitive to Ammonia and Nitrite.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I am aware of that they need zero amounts on both and I am trying to lower those, but he is not new to the tank. He's been in there 3-4 months and seemed to be great!! (this is all-of-a-sudden) Eating, swimming fine....
I know my skimmer is not working great, getting a new one soon, but other the water changes and feeding less, what would you guys suggest? I added some clean-up crew and a sand sifter to help a few weeks ago, that has cleared up the visible stuff... other then that????

Thanks Gents!!!