Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 02/13/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Nice looking denitrator. I'm attempted to build my own but was wondering if the Caribsea sulfur brand is easier to clog than the larger bead type sulfur
Old 02/13/2007, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

My guess is yeah it would clog easier.. the problem seems to be finding the larger bead sulphur. I may have found the perfect stuff, but I don't know forsure yet. (I will post more when I know)
Old 02/13/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Psyire I sent you a PM
Old 02/13/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Psyire, how much of the Carib Sea Media did you use in the reactor? I'm going to be building one with the same dimensions (6x21) and not sure how much media i'll need to fill it.
Old 02/14/2007, 12:08 PM
I am a super nose picker

do you need calerpa in the sump?Since the unit kills nitrates and a phosban reactor can take care of phos..I would imagine there isn't a need for calerpa or chetto in the sump.Maybe just some bioballs for bacteria to grow but now is there a need for calerpa in the sump since the Rowa phos and a denitrate reactor can take care of a reef tanks 2 most deadliest enemies.No phos no bad algea no trates no dander to corals bleaching or dying.
Old 02/14/2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klasiksb
Psyire, how much of the Carib Sea Media did you use in the reactor? I'm going to be building one with the same dimensions (6x21) and not sure how much media i'll need to fill it.
You will need 2 of the 1 gallon jugs. You won't use it all, but it will give you some extra for later some time.
Old 02/14/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
do you need calerpa in the sump?Since the unit kills nitrates and a phosban reactor can take care of phos..I would imagine there isn't a need for calerpa or chetto in the sump.Maybe just some bioballs for bacteria to grow but now is there a need for calerpa in the sump since the Rowa phos and a denitrate reactor can take care of a reef tanks 2 most deadliest enemies.No phos no bad algea no trates no dander to corals bleaching or dying.
Well as a rule I wouldn't run caulerpa at any time due to it's chance of going asexual. I would highly recommend running chaeto instead. Either way, I guess I will find out if I can still use chaeto with the reduced nitrate in the water. If mine dies out, then I guess it dies out. Perhaps it will completely eliminate my refugium altogether, but only time will tell.

Last edited by Psyire; 02/14/2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02/14/2007, 01:14 PM
I am a super nose picker

you can at least keep live rock in the fudge plus hide heaters,probes etc
Old 02/14/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psyire
You will need 2 of the 1 gallon jugs. You won't use it all, but it will give you some extra for later some time.
Thank you!
Old 02/17/2007, 03:04 AM
Premium Member

Just did some tests:

Nitrate
-------
Tank: 30ppm
Reactor Effluent: < 1ppm

pH Reactor Effluent: 7.5
Drip Rate: 3-4 Drips per second

Glad it's working!
Old 02/17/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psyire
How full was the tube after adding 1 container? I will be putting Ca reactor media in there as well.
Old 02/20/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

Sounds great, so why doesn't everyone have one of these?

Thx
Jason
Old 02/20/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

FYI, midwestaquatic.com has sulfur again, at $15.97/LB. I'm guessing its the 'ball' type and not the 'flattened ball' type, not sure though.

Also, they have $50 off the XL size unit for a limited time, $389.95 plus shipping.

I ordered some of the Caribsea LSM for a reactor i'm having built by a friend. Should have it next weeks sometime.

Psyire, how are you feeding water to the reactor?

I will be having a Mag 2 as the recirc. pump and i'm thinking of just taping into the intake side of the pump and hooking RO tubing up to that.
Old 02/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
How full was the tube after adding 1 container? I will be putting Ca reactor media in there as well.
I used 1 & 1/2 gallons to fill mine completely.
Old 02/20/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Psyire, how are you feeding water to the reactor?

I will be having a Mag 2 as the recirc. pump and i'm thinking of just taping into the intake side of the pump and hooking RO tubing up to that.
I'm currently feeding it with an Aqualifter, but it will self-feed it just dosent' put through as much water. (I'm not sure if I can put through enough without the aqualifter... only time will tell)
Old 02/20/2007, 03:36 PM
a Buffer fish

Mines going great. Just a word of caution, this thing will reduce nitrates a lot but will also lower alkalinity like crazy.

In my fish only system, the alkalinity drops from 4meq/l to 2.5meq/l in 1 week. Previously it would take a month for that effect to happen. Lowered my No3 from 95ppm to probably at 30ppm now. Soon should be zero. The bacteria use sulphur to reduce No3.

But I give this reactor 5 stars!
Old 02/20/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Interesting; I was wondering why my Alk suddenly dropped from 9 to <6 while the Ca was up to almost 500. I dose kalk, so they should be balanced.
Old 02/21/2007, 02:22 AM
Premium Member

I'm going to run some Alk tests tomorrow... I'll post my results.
Old 02/22/2007, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Finally found some better sulphur media...

Aquarium Obsessed can get the media for the H&S reactors. (pictured above) It's quite a bit more pricey than the caribsea stuff, but there is quite a difference in size/shape.

I don't believe I 'need' better media, but this media would definately be less prone to clogging over time, due to detritus and other floaties such as dust from the tank water getting caught up in the reactor. I would guess that it would reduce the chance of having 'pockets' of stagnant water that may cause the production of H2S as well. (less of a channeling effect) I don't plan to switch to this media quite yet, perhaps a few months down the road once my nitrates are zero... we'll see.
Old 02/22/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

How much are they charging for the media?

Don't know if you saw my post above, midwestaquatic is selling the round balls for $15.97 per pound.
Old 02/22/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

How many pounds is the 1 gallon container of Caribsea LSM? This looks like to be the cheapest solution compared to $15.97/lb. I thinking the LSM is 4x cheaper
Old 02/22/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Premium Aquatics said the 1 gal. of Caribsea is 8lbs.

I ordered 1 gal. for my 6x21 reactor, because i'll have calcium media in the same chamber as well.
Old 02/22/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. That works to about $2.50/lb
Old 02/22/2007, 03:07 PM
I am a super nose picker

Don't forget the sulfer lasts long.Its not the cheapest but at least you don't have to replace it often.I spent a fortune on kent denitrate sponge and it didn't work at all.I will probably get the h&s model since it seems to be easier to maintain.I do think Steve from Austin Oceans makes some nice products and the built quality looks very good.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Psyire hows this working out?