Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:49 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Life and Death in a 55 Corner (Photo Intense)

Yesterday, I looked in my tank and saw my Arrow Crab holding a struggling but mortally wounded Cleaner Shrimp in its single claw:

After a few minutes, as the crab fought off fish interested in eating the shrimp flesh, I noticed my urchin rising from the live rock:

Within minutes, the urchin had engulfed the shrimp and was pulling it down into the rock as the crab tugged mightily:

The urchin won the tug of war, and within minutes, it had completely swarmed over the shrimp and devoured it, leaving the crab without its prey. Not long after this last photo, all evidence of the shrimp was gone.

Old 01/07/2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I had 2 arrow crabs, ended up getting rid of them one of them tore apart a feather duster and the other was just a pain aswell. I thought they were somewhat freindy at first but I was wrong. Got lucky on taking the pics and It looks like the urchin or crab had a good meal. Im getting to hate any type of crab day by day now.

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:17 PM
a Buffer fish

Well crabs have claws for a reason ya know Not just for looking friendly.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:37 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

The strange thing is that these three creatures have been living in the same small 55 gallon tank for almost three years without a problem.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I have a donut coral that makes regular meals out of blue legged hermits. One of these days, I am going to get a picture worth showing of nothing but the crabs legs sticking out of the coral.

Sure is a site to see. joeychitwood, would have loved to see that drama unfold.

Failure is not an option - It is a requirement if you expect to learn anything.

Click on my home page button for pictures of my aquarium.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Nice battle you caught there. I've had one cleaner shrimp die on me once and caught the other shrimp and some blue legged hermit crabs fighting over it before the emerald crab came over and showed who was boss.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:46 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Most surprising to me was the urchin rising from the depths to snatch the shrimp. There was a mighty tug of war, with the crab bracing itself against rocks and pulling until I thought its claw would pop off. It was no match for the torque of an urchin, however.