Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2006, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Zeo Vit

Randy,

Wanted to know your thoughts on the Zeo approach. I was thinking about trying it since it works on the idea of no nutrients and a strong skimmer (which I have) and careful monitoring of the Alk.

I'm still checking into it but I just wanted to know your thoughts on this style of reefing from a chemists perspective.

Thanks!

Steve

The bottle neck is always at the top!
Old 07/16/2006, 01:52 PM
Reef Chemist

It seems like a way of driving nutrients down to very low levels, possibly making some corals more colorful by reducing zoox, and reducing growth of other organisms (like coralline). It isn't a method that I use or plan to use.
Old 07/16/2006, 01:59 PM
I am a super nose picker

first of all its not cheap.The problem with this method is it starves the tank and strips it of nutrients down to or as cloe to the levels of nsw.Then you have to manually put back certain elements thus the products they sell you.I have heard you have to do this method for the entire time you run your system wich means you always have to buy the products.It takes at least 9 months to get the full a effect,buy then if you ran your tank the normal way you should see some decent results.I have also heard people have had most of there corals rtn because it was to much for the corals to handle.Thats why most of the very nice colours you see coming from this method the corals are simply on the edge.You are basicaly starving the system feeding the system and so on but you have to maintain the regement.Its not hard to screw up somewhere down the line.I don't think its worth the money and the risk.You would be much better of running calerpa and a remote dsb.You will probably get the same results with alot less risk of rtn.
Old 07/16/2006, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I would sign on that. Very good and concise answer.
Old 07/16/2006, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

some of those zeo tanks are perty awesome.
Old 07/16/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Yes they are, but I don't think they would post picks of the ones that crashed either. I agree with steve, it can work, its not cheap and your riding a fine line between killer colors and growth and a big mess. If you look at Sunnyx's tank of the month it looks pretty much like a Zeotank...without the zeo.
Old 07/19/2006, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

I'm going to try Zeo Vit and I'll post pictures of my progress. Again, I like the idea of not using Rowa Phos and using a bacteria that reduces or drives down nutrients.

I'll keep you posted along with the tank parameters.

The bottle neck is always at the top!
Old 07/19/2006, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

I like it more for keeping my nitrates/phosphates at undetectable levels w/o using a DSB, Fuge, Phosphate Removers or other specialty chemicals. It's not for everyone though, if you can't dedicate time everyday for additives/maintenance it requires, it probably isn't a good plan.