Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 09:20 AM
One Millionth Poster

Mozilla firefox has a spell check built in but that might take some of the fun out of it.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
I love how your claims keep changing in order to continue to try and pass the blame onto Vortech.
The tank was originally 35" tall and then it was 32" after you didn't like the way the formula came out.
Nothing changed. The overall height of the tank is 35" but that includes a 2" thick brace, so when entering data in the calculator, I used the actual height of the viewing pane, not the brace above it.

Quote:
You also said yourself and I quote "Well I do have more than one area, but the others are from the original install and really are just superficial" so crazing did occur in other areas but it wasn't as bad as the one spot but crazing did occur none the less which pokes some holes in your theory that it was a single faulty pump.
Crazing occurred in other spots when I initially set up the Vortech MP-40s because I was running them at 100% and per Eco-Tech, my tank room conditions were too warm for their pump.

Quote:
You also previously stated that you didn't continue to run your pumps in areas that showed intial signs of crazing and then you later admitted that the worse spot was intially only minor but then got worse after you put the vortech back on. Conveniently that post has disappeared.
First of all, I have no way to delete posts. If any of my posts are missing, it's not my doing. Second of all, I never put a pump back on a previously crazed area. The bad one was created many months after the initial crazing issues and was much lower on the viewing pane than the original. I cannot get pictures to come out of the original crazing BTW.

Quote:
In response to your other post about your friends and their so-called expertise regarding this matter it really doesn't hold much water. I have a few friends who have magnificient tanks as well and are pretty creative with equipment but that doesn't make them experts regarding acrylic tank manufacture and the properties of acrylic related to heat.
I suppose that's true, but I didn't claim my friends are experts in acrylic. I just stated that you were bashing some very experienced reef keepers just on the basis that they are my friends. And wouldn't your friends try to help you out?

Quote:
You chose to completely ignore the expertise provided by ACRYLICS who I consider more knowledgeable about the subject than anyone you listed but his advice went on deaf ears just because it didn't back up your claims.
What advice went on deaf ears? That my tank isn't built correctly? Would you like to come over and fix that? I have never ignored Jame's information.

Quote:
1. Do you have actual proof (besides the crazing) that the one spot of extreme crazing was caused by a faulty pump that had a heat spiked? I the last year dealing with Vortech have they given you any response regarding the possibility of a heat spike?
Actual proof besides the crazing? Well no. Maybe I did it in my sleep with a blow torch?

A response from Vortech about heat spikes? Not sure what you mean by that. Tim and I have been discussing heat for many months and working on solutions, but I never got any info. from him that the pump could fail and produce a heat spike. Their advice was to run them slow or on pulse with the WWDs.

Quote:
2. I know that the heat sinks on some of your Vortech reach the 140 degree range but how hot is the actual acrylic behind the dry side getting? Based on what I have seen and tested on my own pumps it is considerably cooler.
This is not a question to me, this is projecting your own experience onto mine. I have no way to test the acrylic temp. other than to watch for crazing. And the point is worthless if crazing occurs. I just showed Sherman the flimsy new gasket they sent with the last pump and how it nealry melted off my pump. It doesn't get much hotter than that.

Quote:
3. How old is your tank and was it a reef setup before you bought it?
I don't know how old it is. Yes it was a reef when I bought it, but I am not sure that is a relevant question.

So let me summarize by writing that this is the last time I am going to respond to your questions. I am tired of explaining this to you, and I am tired of you trolling me. Anyone can see that you are trying to start a fight, and probably are somehow tied to Eco-Tech. At least it seems that way to me. Some of your questions within your posts in this thread are things that only Eco-Tech and myself are aware of.

if you wish to contribute to the Eco-Tech knowledge base, try building a cooling unit for them so this never happens again.

Last edited by jnarowe; 12/22/2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:27 PM
I am a super nose picker

Now off the topic but do you guys think I need to go back to school?I am insulted at some of the comments made towards me.I tried to be friends with you people ,even suggested that we start another site for ourselves or others just to chat and say things (as adults ) witch we did and yet you still feel the need to hurt me and insult me.Hmm this is what I call a friend.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

lets get this post back out of negative town!!!!

jonathon- just ignore the haters. they only post that stuff to tick you off.

much love-

marcus
Old 12/22/2007, 12:39 PM
I am a super nose picker

Much love to you to Marcus
Old 12/22/2007, 12:44 PM

uh, Steve, take your meds OK? We all love you man.

Thanks Marcus.

Believe it or not, I am hosting the January PSAS (Puget Sound Aquarium Society) meeting at my place. The topic will actually be based on Marc's DIY food, with a little refinement from me.

We will be testing common foods brought by participants, preparing DIY food, and all participants will be sent home with a nice baggy of good stuff.

I will demonstrate the difference between frozen foods put directly in the mix, and frozen foods that have been soaked and rinsed in RO/DI water so that members will leave with a better understanding of what they are currently putting in their tanks, and how they can effect a change that not only raises their water quality, but also provides much better nutritional value at a far better price.

And in order to host this, I have to clean my glass, yard out the viewing room, and get a bunch of other stuff prepared. It will take me the entire interim month to get ready for itm but I want to make sure the PSAS members have a great event.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Steve, I'm trying to help you out.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1276803

I don't get any love? Or did the snow angel in the bush request scare you away?
Old 12/22/2007, 12:49 PM
I am a super nose picker

I love you but you need to use spell check
Old 12/22/2007, 12:52 PM
I am a super nose picker

what if people start to donate a fair amount of money will you embezzle it and keep it for your own selfish reasons.Will you spend it on beer?Would you do the right thing and give it to me so I can pay off my visa bill?
Old 12/22/2007, 01:01 PM

You bring up a good point Steve...will we use the money for beer? It's entirely possible.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

We would never do that!
Old 12/22/2007, 01:47 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
Now off the topic but do you guys think I need to go back to school?I am insulted at some of the comments made towards me.I tried to be friends with you people ,even suggested that we start another site for ourselves or others just to chat and say things (as adults ) witch we did and yet you still feel the need to hurt me and insult me.Hmm this is what I call a friend.
OMG!!! Don't be such a girly man. Everyone needs something/one to pick on. You have your nose and we have you.

And please...don't feel special. I'm a serial insulter and treat everyone the same, if you scroll back through the thread. It's a give and take LOVE thing, you should feel honored.

Now...go stick your head in the toilet and FLUSH! SWIRLY TIME!!!
Old 12/22/2007, 01:48 PM
Parrot head

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Hey Jonathon...any chance we can get some pics of stuff to turn this hate fest around?

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 12/22/2007, 02:03 PM

not for a little bit Jason. I still have to figure out how to get on top of the tank without stressing that end panel. I will be cleaning that end in the next couple of days and will take some pics then. honestly. not nuch has changed except some of the corals that got beaten down by the dinos are showing some life on them.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

let's please all be friends here.

this is a very experienced group of reefers, everyone brings their own knowledge and experience to this forum, we all benefit from it.

yes, it's good to laugh and have a little fun, but let's not forget the subject an hand, reef keeping.

I would hate for this thread or any of it's participants to be removed from rc, it would be a loss to the group.

posting inflammatory remarks only provokes more inflammatory remarks, it doesn't contribute to our knowledge base.

this hobby is complicated enough, let's not complicate further.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't envy your having to clean your monster of a tank

How do you go about cleaning the crazed area's?
Old 12/22/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Elliott
let's please all be friends here.

this is a very experienced group of reefers, everyone brings their own knowledge and experience to this forum, we all benefit from it.

yes, it's good to laugh and have a little fun, but let's not forget the subject an hand, reef keeping.

I would hate for this thread or any of it's participants to be removed from rc, it would be a loss to the group.

posting inflammatory remarks only provokes more inflammatory remarks, it doesn't contribute to our knowledge base.

this hobby is complicated enough, let's not complicate further.

Sorry but.... wrong thread to be behaving in, there should be seperate rules for this thread

We are all friends. We all have in common the fact that we love to pick on Steve, and he gives as good back j/k

But I do agree, we don't need to get kicked of RC, we just need to get the aggitators out of this thread
Old 12/22/2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
I don't envy your having to clean your monster of a tank

How do you go about cleaning the crazed area's?
Well I am not even going to touch that area of course. Generally speaking, I lay a plank over the bracing and lay on top of the tank to clean the front glass. I also use a Therme algae killer sometimes.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Well I am not even going to touch that area of course. Generally speaking, I lay a plank over the bracing and lay on top of the tank to clean the front glass. I also use a Therme algae killer sometimes.
what is a Therme algae killer?
Old 12/22/2007, 06:30 PM

Therme Algae Terminator
Old 12/22/2007, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

very interesting, so I assume since you use it, it works? what do you think of their auto boost power saver?
Old 12/22/2007, 07:19 PM

Never seen that before...hard for me to think that thing works. That is something for a guy like Luke (liveforphysics) to answer.

As for the Algae Terminator, it does wok, but is not particularly suited for large tanks or in-wall tanks. It cooks the algae killing it, and making it much easier to remove. I have never had good luck with their scraper attachment though, as I always seem to get a piece of sand or something stuck in the groove.

It doesn't save much time in my situation, but it does make it easier from a physical effort stand-point.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

yeah, Luke would be a good person to evaluate that, after reading his thread I purchased a VFD/pump set up off the used equip forum, haven't received it yet. I've done a bit of diving, currents/surges ramp up and down just like Luke's setup, very impressive and probably the closest thing to real ocean currents
Old 12/22/2007, 08:39 PM

Impressive, but expensive. It is one option for me too. I could install a massive pressure rated one on my tank.