Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Co2 tank leak toxic?

I am considering investing in a calcium reactor. My reef is in my bedroom. I was wondering if the Co2 tank were to leak while I was sleeping, could the amount of Co2 leaked out of the Co2 tank become lethal?
Thanks
Old 12/18/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

If it were to develop a leak and you had poor ventilation, no doubt it could kill you. If you want to experiment take a plastic bag and put it over your head and see how long it takes for you to pass out.........J/K do not do that. Why not put your reactor in a different area. There is not that much plumbing to run between your tank and reactor. Find a safe way to do hook it up, it will be worth it.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Like where? Im on the second floor sorrounded by other bedrooms. It does not seem too practical.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Are you in a house? Are the other rooms occupied? What is above and below your room? Be creative!
Old 12/18/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

What if at night I kept my bedroom door open and the ceiling fan on. Then would I be safe if the Co2 tank were to leak?
Old 12/18/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Yes I am in a house. All the other rooms are occupied. Kitchen is below my room.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

What is your situation? Do you own a house, rent an apartment or still live with your parents? Would leaving you door open and fan on help? Most likely yes. This is a slippery slope that you and I are on. I want to make sure that you understand the risks.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

apartment
Old 12/18/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

I think the chances of the tank leaking are slim to none, but precautions should be taken.

You might be able to find a CO2 air monitor fairly cheaply.

Robbie
Old 12/18/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Can you plumb it down to your kitchen some where? On my reactor I am only using 2 - 1/4 inch lines, one to my tank and one from my main pump that feeds the reactor. I have the potential to move the reactor any where I can run those 2 small lines. If had a storage closet in your kitchen, you could put the unit in there. Run the 2 lines through the floor and have the reactor and pump in the closet down stairs.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I have had leaks in the past but none of them were severe, of course the unit was not in my bedroom either. On the other hand you may notice a leak in a quiet bedroom alot faster too.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I cant run it to the kitchen. Been looking at Co2 monitors. They are like 300 plus dollars, so that's out of question.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

What is above you?

I am trying to help you, but you are in a tough spot.

Do you have a closet outside the bedroom that you could run the lines to? ie; hall closet.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

An attic
Old 12/18/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Can you get in the attic from your place? It will be a pain to service and in the summer it will heat your tank. I maybe stretching too far.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

CO2 monitors don't cost $300......I use one at work that we bought for around $100.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

If you can get a reliable one for $100 do that.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

do u know where i can get one that cheap? Does it sound an alarm when the co2 levels become toxic in the room?