Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Ideal Quartine Tank?

What should it consist of?
Old 12/26/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Just keep it simple and easy to ajust to what you're going to quarantine, if you pile all sorts of stuff in there you will not be able to catch your new buddy. I do water changes from my main tank and try to keep them the same. also i have live rock in the bottom of mine for filteration but it covered with egg crate
Old 12/26/2007, 05:29 PM
Insane Reefer

A quarantine tank is very simple and can be any non-metallic container that will hold water. Many use a ten gallon aquarium (because they're inexpensive) but for holding larger livestock, many hobbyists use a rubbermaid container. If dealing with larger livestock on a regular basis, I'd recommend purchasing a water trough made from a carbon fiber material.

No matter the size, it should be kept dry and clean when not in use. You will need an appropriate sized heater and some type of circulatory device such as a powerhead and an artificial shelter like a piece of PVC or clay pot your fish can hide within. You should have an ample supply and wide range of test kits to monitor the water quality. Many hobbyists store some type of filter material in the sump of their main system that can be easily transferred over for quick biological filtration; my preference is to keep a air driven sponge corner filter in the sump and is more than enough to supply a ten gallon quarantine tank. I throw out the sponge when finished and start with a new one (very reasonably priced). You won't need lighting unless placing corals, clams or anemones in quarantine.

If treating the system with any medications it is best to thoroughly clean the tank and equipment when finished and to throw out any porous material (such as the sponge filter mentioned above).
Old 12/26/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Quartine Tank?

So a 10 gallon tank should be good? A small carbon filter to? A small heater? One piece of live rock? Small Power head?
Old 12/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

sounds ok to me
Old 12/26/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a 37 gallon eclipse tank I used as a cichlid tank at one time that I will use as a quaratine tank
Old 12/26/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

I use a 12g Marineland Eclipse for QT. Remember to remove the carbon filter and live rock if you plan to medicate. Bare bottom with PVC will best help with lots of unexpected contingencies for treating diseases. Just move water changes to the QT and test regularly.
Old 12/26/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

I say skip the live rock. If you have a cycled sponge it should be good enough. If the fish carries in something, that can get in the LR and stay there indef.