Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (OMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Anyone use the new Current PowerBrite LED lights?

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the new PowerBrite LED's from Current? I have been watching the LED solutions for a while and waiting for the prices to come down. I currently have 4 36" VHO's under my Oceanic wood canopy. I have been very hesistant to put any MH's under there, for fear of burning my house down... =) My tank is a 70RR, so its pretty deep and I really like the shimmering effect that a MH solutions brings.

The LEDs look almost too good to be true, are they? The lack of heat, long lasting buld life (50,000 hours), and low cost of operation. But can things grow under these?

Link to the Mfg website:
http://current-usa.com/powerbrite.html
Old 10/01/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

My first indication of this lighting system is the intent is to give moonlights & the "shimmer effect" of halides. I don't think it is meant to be used as a single source of light for a reef tank. I will be attending a trade show later this week. I'll have your answers Saturday afternoon at the shop...gimme a call then.
Old 10/02/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

This was added to the Current Website:

PowerBrite LED Systems use high intensity 1 watt (50-60 lumens/watt) Power LED's that provide a point source light, producing the "shimmering" effect often found from using high intensity lighting systems such as metal halides. PowerBrite LED's are designed to enhance existing lighting systems such as fluorescent and compact fluorescent systems, as well as act as a stand alone light in very small aquariums, refugiums - as well as powerful nocturnal moon lights. It is recommended to use one PowerBrite LED for every 20" of aquarium tank length.
Old 10/28/2007, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Overpriced moonlights. We have 4 sets on a 20, 8 would probably not be enough.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Do you think the 4xactinic setup would be enough for actinic support with a metal halide setup?

I'm trying to get a little glow from my tank, and was wondering about this setup.

Thanks!
Old 10/29/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Nope
Old 10/30/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Recevied them last week....put the whites over a tank in the shop, I think they're ok. Actually not a bad deal for 4 1 watt moonlights considering what the corallife 1 watt sells for. They are tremendously brighter that the lunar link leds by current. They do give a shimmer effect....the higher they are mounted the better the shimmer.